IGNORED

Can't open side case or remove it from bike.

longjohn

Rats.  I opened my right side case today to put something in it and then closed it in a hurry, with part of my jacket stuck in it.  I tried to open it again but it wouldn't.  I (actually Groanup) managed to remove the jacket.  Now the side case won't open and it's stuck on the bike.  It looks like the lock has broken or malfunctioned somehow.  Please tell me I won't have to drill a hole in the black part of the side case.  Rats.

11 hours ago, longjohn said:

Rats.  I opened my right side case today to put something in it and then closed it in a hurry, with part of my jacket stuck in it.  I tried to open it again but it wouldn't.  I (actually Groanup) managed to remove the jacket.  Now the side case won't open and it's stuck on the bike.  It looks like the lock has broken or malfunctioned somehow.  Please tell me I won't have to drill a hole in the black part of the side case.  Rats.

Morning Longjohn

---Fitting name for this morning as it is -4°f here this morning---

On your problem?

Depends on what is actually wrong inside your case.  

You aren’t the first to have this happen so possibly do a search of this site to see if your problem lines up with a past posting & resolution.

To do a search (I 'think' as I am as new at this strange new site as you are).

First find the ‘SEARCH’ button/box at top of page,

Then enter what you are searching for  in the long search box,  in this case enter    "side case"    use the quotes just as shown.

In content type put check in (topics) box.

Then pick a forum to search (in this case it is Hexheads ). You can also try (Camheads) if you don't find a good close match in Hexheads. 

For date created use the custom (put check in custom) then for start use Jan/1/2005 & for end use Jan/19/2019.  

Then click on (Search Content).

Once the search results show up (might take a short while)  scroll through them to see if something lines up with your present problem. 

Once (or if)  you find a similar problem then see if there is a remedy posted. If not then at least you should be able to use what you find to more fully explain the  exact problem to us for a more thorough understanding & specifically help on how to start your  case entry repair. 

These side cases can be a pain to enter but 'where' to start sort of depends on what is not working inside.

Please report back after checking on DR's suggestions. I did have threads bookmarked that outlined how to separate the cases. Those bookmarks do not transfer over, but I did do a screenshot of the relevant info - so I can find it easily here at our new home.  But, as DR said - we're in the midst of some weather here and I need to be away and outdoors for snow removal. I can locate t hose when I get back in if you've not found them.

Ok, this may take a bit to get worked out - the moderators already know about this issue. In the conversion, the old board software did different things with formatting text, depending on when the posts were made. In the conversion, some of those formats has caused text NOT to show up in posts. That is the case here. I've found one of the  posts I mentioned (the search function is GREAT on this new software!! :5147:) to share, but the instructions are missing. I've reported it and it will be repaired, so check back!

This thread seems to be intact. You will need to wade through the thread - the links and how to's are updated near the end.  good luck and please report back.

I locked my jacket with my keys inside the side case a couple of years ago (It takes a special power to be able to do this... :dopeslap:)

Anyway I was able to partially open the case and pull my jacket out by removing the hinges under the case.

Hope this helps

13 hours ago, Twisties said:

Pretty sure you don't need a drill.  It's nothing a small stick of dynamite won't fix.  :classic_biggrin: 

I may need that dynamite,

What happens when you push in the 'lock-release' key cylinder?  Does it push in and release the finger latch?  Is it any more difficult to push in then before the incident?  Have you tried a Teflon spray?

1 minute ago, LBump said:

What happens when you push in the 'lock-release' key cylinder?  Does it push in and release the finger latch?  Is it any more difficult to push in then before the incident?  Have you tried a Teflon spray?

Hi Larry.  The 'lock-release' key cylinder  has very little spring tension to it and it depresses completely without releasing the finger latch.  Also pressing on the finger latch while pushing in the 'lock-release' key cylinder does not help.

And when trying to put the 'lock-release' key cylinder in the release position to lift the bag off the bike there is no spring tension and the carry handle does not pop up.

I have used the lube, and in fact Valdi lubed both sides recently.

I'm in the midst of trying to post some pics.  

4 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Longjohn

---Fitting name for this morning as it is -4°f here this morning---

On your problem?

Depends on what is actually wrong inside your case.  

You aren’t the first to have this happen so possibly do a search of this site to see if your problem lines up with a past posting & resolution.

To do a search (I 'think' as I am as new at this strange new site as you are).

First find the ‘SEARCH’ button/box at top of page,

Then enter what you are searching for  in the long search box,  in this case enter    "side case"    use the quotes just as shown.

In content type put check in (topics) box.

Then pick a forum to search (in this case it is Hexheads ). You can also try (Camheads) if you don't find a good close match in Hexheads. 

For date created use the custom (put check in custom) then for start use Jan/1/2005 & for end use Jan/19/2019.  

Then click on (Search Content).

Once the search results show up (might take a short while)  scroll through them to see if something lines up with your present problem. 

Once (or if)  you find a similar problem then see if there is a remedy posted. If not then at least you should be able to use what you find to more fully explain the  exact problem to us for a more thorough understanding & specifically help on how to start your  case entry repair. 

These side cases can be a pain to enter but 'where' to start sort of depends on what is not working inside.

Good morning Dirtrider,

I've done some searching and the closest remedy to my problem that I can find is to drill a hole to be able to slide the mechanism to release the side case cover.

This is  how far the broken lock cylinder can be depressed.  

IMG_0378crop.thumb.jpg.047cf1ae95c7ee04e8e8fe20b923fd39.jpg

This is how far a normal lock cylinder can be depressed.

IMG_0372crop.thumb.jpg.65ec4276b1b580cf5dbaf383b06d44e7.jpg

And as I posted to Larry above:

The 'lock-release' key cylinder  has very little spring tension to it and it depresses completely without releasing the finger latch.  Also pressing on the finger latch while pushing in the 'lock-release' key cylinder does not help.

And when trying to put the 'lock-release' key cylinder in the release position to lift the bag off the bike there is no spring tension and the carry handle does not pop up.

Edited by longjohn
clarity
47 minutes ago, longjohn said:

Good morning Dirtrider,

I've done some searching and the closest remedy to my problem that I can find is to drill a hole to be able to slide the mechanism to release the side case cover.

This is  how far the broken lock cylinder can be depressed.   

The 'lock-release' key cylinder  has very little spring tension to it and it depresses completely without releasing the finger latch.  Also pressing on the finger latch while pushing in the 'lock-release' key cylinder does not help.

Afternoon Longjohn

Unfortunately (or fortunately for me) I have not had to deal with that particular type of hexhead case failure yet.

You might wait a bit to see if someone has found a way to get past the soft button problem without drilling & posts that info here.

If no help shows up here then (my personal) suggestion is to ride by your local BMW dealer (if not too far away) to see if they can give you a hint on how to open that case without drilling. (I'm pretty  sure they have probably had to deal with that problem before)

You still  might have to drill but first see if there might be a non-drilling option available to you.

4 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Ok, this may take a bit to get worked out - the moderators already know about this issue. In the conversion, the old board software did different things with formatting text, depending on when the posts were made. In the conversion, some of those formats has caused text NOT to show up in posts. That is the case here. I've found one of the  posts I mentioned (the search function is GREAT on this new software!! :5147:) to share, but the instructions are missing. I've reported it and it will be repaired, so check back!

Thanks Dave. This is not looking good. 

Thanks to Larry and Dirtrider and Dann too. 

Oh and especially thanks to Jan for his insight. :classic_biggrin:

4 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

This thread seems to be intact. You will need to wade through the thread - the links and how to's are updated near the end.  good luck and please report back.

The text is complete, but I'm not seeing any pictures. But I did "print" the how-to post by ADulay to a PDF file several years ago.   If you have to drill, take apart the other case first to find the best location for a hole.

R1200RT Side Case Latch Assembly - BMWSportTouring Forums.pdf

Top post of page 3 has 2 links to how to's, as does the final post by . . . none other than you! :thumbsup: and I think you link to either the same or a  different document. In either case, thanks for sharing the document.

Edited by Indy Dave
33 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

Top post of page 3 has 2 links to how to's, as does the final post by . . . none other than you! :thumbsup: and I think you link to either the same or a  different document. In either case, thanks for sharing the document.

I wasn't able to see that post of mine. 

Ya, I'd still like to get into mine.  I haven't attempted to crack it open yet, will likely need to drill but don't want to go through the labour of tearing one apart to find the sweet spot of the other.  Been on and off researching where to drill since I posted and can't seem to find a simple picture.  So, when you do, please post a pic so I know where to poke a hole and find out what broke inside so I can repair/replace it:yes:

When my latch broke the case on my 2007 RT, I removed the screws from the bottom hinges and then moved and twisted the lid and was able to remove the lid.

3 hours ago, Bernie said:

When my latch broke the case on my 2007 RT, I removed the screws from the bottom hinges and then moved and twisted the lid and was able to remove the lid.

I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks. 

^^^^^Thanks Bill.

One more pic.  If your side case key can go to this position and not spring back, ruh roh.  I'm off to the dealer...

IMG_0379crop.thumb.jpg.32b2a0b830cb367bbe4665b5d2b6a727.jpg

3 hours ago, Bill Clevenger said:

I had to drill a hole in my sidecase in order to open it. Once you do it the first time, it's really not that hard.

Ok, I'm willing to do that but where do you drill it?

1 hour ago, Living the Dream said:

I found the exact spot to drill in a pic or diagram in my searches in the last couple of days, and I'll dig it up again and post it this evening or tomorrow morning.

Now as for mine, I talked to the service writer at LBBMW and told him the problem.  He took the keys from me and said "I'll bet you've tried this a million times.  Let's see if I have the magic touch".  After 30sec of jiggling the carry handle popped up, and after some more jiggling, the side cover opened.  He must have seen this problem before, and been experienced enough to know how to get the linkage together again.  Wow.  I was impressed to say the least.!!!

As long as I was there I took a test drive on a '19GS and '19RT.  I think they both were going to run about $24.5k OTD.   An '18GS could be had for about 21 and the '18RT for about 23.  I loved the RT:  lots of power, better wind protection for me, but it does have noticeably more exhaust noise, and still the same shitty stock seat. If I recall tho LED headlights are an option.  YAY!!!  The GS didn't quite fit me ergonomically, as the shift lever and the side stand foot catcher were too close together, and I would have to lower the shift lever a touch to accommodate my longer legs which would have made it worse.  It also had a neutral that was hard to locate.

That's good to read John.  Glad it didn't end up with the 'Twisties' method of explosives... :16:

So, what's the deal with the lock and/or latch mechanism? 

Did the service manager say anything as to 'why' or 'what' might be happening?

Did he say anything about a recall on them?

Are you going to take the bags apart; clean and lube everything and reassemble?

What's going on LG...

• Like 1
4 hours ago, LBump said:

That's good to read John.  Glad it didn't end up with the 'Twisties' method of explosives... :16:

So, what's the deal with the lock and/or latch mechanism? 

Did the service manager say anything as to 'why' or 'what' might be happening?

Did he say anything about a recall on them?

Are you going to take the bags apart; clean and lube everything and reassemble?

What's going on LG...

To be honest Larry, I was just so happy to see both functions working I just thanked him profusely and headed for the showroom. It reminded me of the last time I had a plummer out to snake a sink. I watched him stuff 20' of cable down the drain and a while later he pulls it out with a big hair ball on the end of it.

Haha yep, I'm tempted to take the bags apart just to satisfy my curiosity. I gather that the inner wall is just held in with several screws, but you have to make sure that each one goes back where it came from. 

Oh btw, we missed you at Jalama Beach on Sat. It was epic. The roads were great and everything was soooo green!  Hwy 192 had several closures on it tho so we bypassed it but it's scheduled to be open on 1feb. I'll be doing the ride again and this time I won't leave the GoPro behind. When are you good to go?

Edited by longjohn
Clarity
18 hours ago, Living the Dream said:

Here is a link to a pic:  4845599653_137e2d6d31.jpg

The above diagram is from this thread where someone locked their key in the side case and someone else replied that in addition to that scenario a broken key cylinder can also be worked around by drilling a hole at the red x

While this may not help Richard, the original thread I linked to has been repaired and it shows how to split open the cases. The OP needed to split the cases in order to install his Bungee Buddies.

Richard - good luck!

On 1/22/2019 at 9:44 PM, Indy Dave said:

While this may not help Richard, the original thread I linked to has been repaired and it shows how to split open the cases. The OP needed to split the cases in order to install his Bungee Buddies.

Richard - good luck!

Thanks much, I don't think I'll have much issue cracking the things,.....but I gotta get it opened first.

When I get to it, I'll let all know.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, CoarsegoldKid said:

Well John, you know it's a mistake to take a test ride on a new bike.  Did you spring for a new one.?

I haven't taken the plunge yet.  It will happen tho, as I'm getting sick of adding oil, and after Carl's rear end bon fire I think the writing is on the wall.  I'm the type that usually waits until circumstances force me to take action.  I see a white '19 RT in my future.