Living the Dream

This will get interesting,....

Living the Dream

If'n I was a betting kinda person. 

The wife and I, while dating, made it clear to each other that you "don't ask the question if you aren't prepared for the answer", it's worked out well for us as we know that if we ask each other something, we'll get the non-sugar coated, non-politically correct, non-it won't hurt your feelings completely honest blunt answer.  This appears to have worked for us for the past 21 years as we've yet to have a single argument.

Anyway, I can see this particular forum going by the way of some people may post something that they are not "prepared for the answers" that they will get..........we'll see.

• Like 1

Whip

You may be correct. Would you like to start the first subject?

ltljohn

I have been hanging around here for 10 years or so and I find that the vast majority of people here can have a spirited discussion without getting personal.   One thing I have seen is if you make a statement you better have your facts and sources ready.  That said sooner or later someone will cross a line and the thread will get locked.  I think that will be the exception rather than the rule.  I may not participate in these but I am looking forward to the debates, I have had them change my opinion and reinforce it.   They are always interesting.

• Like 1

John in VA
14 hours ago, Living the Dream said:

...Anyway, I can see this particular forum going by the way of some people may post something that they are not "prepared for the answers" that they will get..........we'll see.

This, to me, is why this has been my favorite m/c forum for nearly 15 years -- no politics, no religion, just a jovial haven to talk (rant/rave) about motorcycles and motorcycling. If an occasional snarky political comment (right or left) might slip through by someone whose motorcycling/wrenching knowledge I'd alway respected, from that post on I'd have a different slant (fair or unfair) on that member's nonpolitical posts that I'd really rather not have. It's not about taking "offense" but rather the usually wise practice of sizing up a room before opening one's mouth.

I understand new Admins' desire to freshen up the place with some hotter, non-motorcycling topics but I anticipate they'll find themselves spending a lot of time being a bartender/referee. Inevitably, first will come some wayward spittle, then verbal fists, then the ALL CAPS knives. Then will come the F-bombs and so's-your-old-man. Then the bartender will have to create limits that some will say are reasonable, some will mock as arbitrary and others will insist VIOLATE FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS! Ugh.

Anyway, I do hope Admins will continue to keep the motorcycling forums about motorcycling and nudge the off-topic stuff over to Full Throttle. I know it's a tough job to run a respectable joint.

My Full Throttle 2c!

• Like 2

Whip

Could be.

But there is a new sheriff in town.

@Kinsley

8AB0B6F2-749A-4161-A596-F9FA314EC0EF.jpeg

• Like 3

Kinsley

A good one Whip :rofl:

Living the Dream
2 hours ago, John in VA said:

This, to me, is why this has been my favorite m/c forum for nearly 15 years -- no politics, no religion, just a jovial haven to talk (rant/rave) about motorcycles and motorcycling. If an occasional snarky political comment (right or left) might slip through by someone whose motorcycling/wrenching knowledge I'd alway respected, from that post on I'd have a different slant (fair or unfair) on that member's nonpolitical posts that I'd really rather not have. It's not about taking "offense" but rather the usually wise practice of sizing up a room before opening one's mouth.

I understand new Admins' desire to freshen up the place with some hotter, non-motorcycling topics but I anticipate they'll find themselves spending a lot of time being a bartender/referee. Inevitably, first will come some wayward spittle, then verbal fists, then the ALL CAPS knives. Then will come the F-bombs and so's-your-old-man. Then the bartender will have to create limits that some will say are reasonable, some will mock as arbitrary and others will insist VIOLATE FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS! Ugh.

Anyway, I do hope Admins will continue to keep the motorcycling forums about motorcycling and nudge the off-topic stuff over to Full Throttle. I know it's a tough job to run a respectable joint.

My Full Throttle 2c!

It'd be fun to watch considering the average age here is what upper 50's-lower 60's, old guys fighting would be funny.  Ow, I threw a hip out swinging at you, wait, I need my glasses you're too close and blurry,....what,...my hearing aid batteries died:classic_tongue:

I dunno.  Some years ago, I was on this off-roading forum where there were no rules.  It was quite fun.  People disagreed, internet arguing, all caps yelling, but upon meeting at events, it was no different than meeting an old friend that happens to have a different opinion.

I've been part of these dealings and one person that I had never met was a hated (for opinion) but liked (for mechanical skill) member of this board.  There wasn't a day that went by that the threat of kicking his ass didn't go by.  Upon meeting this guy at an event, there was no heated discussions about "you said this" or "you did a personal attack" or "your opinion sucks", it was two guys meeting at an event, shaking hands like long lost friends, doing the 'bro hug.  I did get the wife to take a happy snap with my boot up his ass to post on the board.

That board started becoming quite popular, which led to the owner clamping down and the talk went the way of the wind.......it became less fun with the heavy handed moderators.  All the years that I was on that board, I never once heard of any of the many arguments leading to someone driving across country to conduct the physical ass kicking that was stated on the board.

As I see it a discussion here is a discussion in person.  I've argued with my best friend locally with voices in "echo off the neighborhood" mode, but in the end, he has a different opinion than I do (his is still wrong), but I see him every week and all is good. 

Personal attacks, meh, it's part of arguing, 'cause this ain't debate class :classic_wink:

• Thanks 1

KDeline

It will be interesting again. That's why I left for six plus years as the previous administration just got to heavy handed and PC. Didn't need the added drama of walking on eggs shells just to talk, joke, exchange information and have fun with like minded motorcycle enthusiast. I'm glad of the fresh start and getting involved again. It was missed.

• Like 4

tallman

We did it for years.

Then we didn't.

Now we are.

Then they didn't.

Unfortunately, some people think that being an ass, regardless of "neighborhood", is their right.

We've seen it many times over the past few years when it wasn't supposed to be happening.

Someone inserts their behaviour as the right one, consequences be damned, because by god it is my right.

Loud pipes? My right, Even at 5 in the morning. Hey, I'm going to work FU.

Passing illegally? They were holdinh me up from further breaking the law by speeding and reckless vehicle operation.

Drinking and riding? Sure, why not, I can handle it.

ATGATT? No way, you look like an ass. I look cool, and besides it is too hot.

Helmet? Interferes with your vision and hearing. Dangerous.

Trump? He's an ass. NO, he's the solution.

Dems? They only want to steal my money and give it away to people who don't deserve it.

BMW dealers? Oh wait, I mean "stealers"...

I'm game.

But Fair Notice.

I'm Correct and you are not only wrong, you're ugly.

• Like 2

TEWKS
2 hours ago, tallman said:

I'm Correct and you are not only wrong, you're ugly.

Now, we just need to remember that there is a nice way of saying that. :grin:

Pat

• Like 1

Paul De

Haha.  Should be an interesting new trial of a long gone forum. 

The last time most were able to make their point without becoming " a little ugly".  I actually enjoyed that forum and it seemed that a few time outs for boorish behavior here and there got folks back to talking the merits of the topic. Then came the making it personal period where boorish behavior was too frequent and that killed that era of this forum.

This forum may go over the top and get killed off again, or I get my toes stepped on enough to stay away,  but it is worthy of the try.  Hell at least here I won't have to deal with the condescending BS I get from too many non riders who in a conversation about whatever says some like this.  "Wow!  I didn't realize bikers...." (insert some lame comment that we're actually smart enough to make a cogent argument about the topic).

My only lament is that you didn't name this forum WFO!

• Like 1

RightSpin
25 minutes ago, Paul De said:

My only lament is that you didn't name this forum WFO!

LOL!  I was thinking exactly the same thing.

• Like 1

Whip

..or  WTF?

• Like 2

elkroeger

Couple of observations, if I may:  We all walk the streets and bump into people with opposing viewpoints.  Somehow we know how to behave without flying off the handle or being irrevocably offended.  Most of us, anyway....  Imagine if that guy at work (whom you depend on for stuff) was hopelessly offended by some viewpoint you stated?  People on either side of that coin don't last too long. 

It's been a long time since I read them, but I recommend the books "Man's Search for Meaning" by Victor Frankl, part of which concerns his revelation that he was still free to THINK what he wants, despite his NAZI captor's torture.   And "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People"  by Steven Covey.  Again, part of which deals with valuing the differences in people.  More than "tolerance", actually embracing other people's viewpoints (GREAT, you see it differently!  What am I missing?)

I think it would be a very sad day if a member here disappears because they put stock in some inflammatory comment by another.  My two cents (and go ahead and take offense at this):  The typist needs to restrain himself as he would in any face to face social situation, just as much as the reader needs to know when to stop reading.  While we may have a right to free speech, there is nothing in the constitution that says anybody has to listen to it.  Nor does a forum like this have any obligation to allow it.

But what do I know?  I go to work all day, and deal with fish.  Just me and the fish...  I like it that way.  :-)

• Like 1

Patallaire

All right, I will start it with a softball.  Should Helmets be mandatory in all states?  Should we abdicate that decision to the government? Let the fun begin.   

Whip
56 minutes ago, Patallaire said:

All right, I will start it with a softball.  Should Helmets be mandatory in all states?  Should we abdicate that decision to the government? Let the fun begin.   

Why not start a new thread on the subject?

longjohn
On 1/22/2019 at 9:27 AM, Whip said:

..or  WTF?

Or Joe Momma?  Err, umm there may be a copyright on that one...

• Like 1

elkroeger
On 1/21/2019 at 11:14 AM, TEWKS said:

Now, we just need to remember that there is a nice way of saying that. :grin:

Pat

Where on earth did you find that???

Reminds me of that old joke:  I may be fat, but you're ugly, and I can diet.

• Like 1

TEWKS

I don't know, funny thoughts come to mind and usually somebody somewhere has it out there already. I just Google.:computer:  :grin:

elkroeger

It's kinda creepy.  Like salad fingers.  Google "salad fingers".  :-)

Bud

image.png.da4626a2f96cb4ad2e640817227fd179.png

• Like 2

Bud

trolls.jpeg

Dennis Andress
On 1/23/2019 at 5:14 AM, Patallaire said:

Sorry I got an attitude all over your thread... How do we get it back on track?