IGNORED

Doesn't Work or Don't Know How

chrisolson

Ok so here's what's happening.  This is a screen shot before I made this post.  The gray star means I've posted BUT there are no new posts.  It could also be a gray bullet if I'd never posted in that topic.

To go to the last post in the topic when there are no new posts, click where indicated (the time or day).  DO NOT click on the name ... you'll get their profile.  I've done many times and yes its frustrating :classic_blink:,  but eventually I got it.

If you click on the topic title or the gray star or bullet you will go to the first post.

1818594033_ScreenShot2019-01-23at3_08_03PM.thumb.png.258ee76dfaf46395acba8bcb8e653217.png

Wow, sure a lot of tricky stuff with this software. I think that with the white screen and secret ways to do stuff, that after nearly 20 years on this site, I will probably not be looking at it much. I am too old to task my brain learning new software stuff. I hate even updating my phone as Apple keeps adding crap I don’t need. I am probably in a minority but I thought the old software was ok and did not need to change. I know lot’s of folks put in a ton of time to make this all happen, but I think it is not for me anymore. I prefer ADV’s site and software much better. 

Chris, thanks for your responses and assistance.

• 4 weeks later...

Chris, on Whip's music post, every time I click on it my IPad can't get to the last post. It sort of freezes up. Too many vids for the iPad to handle is my guess? 

Also, the uploaded gallery photos on the side, I can see one or two comments but can't scroll down to see the last few. Again on an  iPad.

Thanks!

I'm guessing most who click on that thread have noticed the load times getting longer and longer as more posts are added.  I see this as only getting worse. 

Is there a way to allow just the link on threads like this?  It would be up to the poster to provide a little text to let interested parties know more about the link for those who want to check it out.  Most importantly, would this solve the problem?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Chris, on Whip's music post, every time I click on it my IPad can't get to the last post. It sort of freezes up. Too many vids for the iPad to handle is my guess? 

That is a possibility.  There is a global update to the software coming later this year that puts in a "just in time" style of loading for videos, etc.  Till then, there is the potential to reduce the default number of posts per page.

2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Also, the uploaded gallery photos on the side, I can see one or two comments but can't scroll down to see the last few. Again on an  iPad.

What size iPad and which screen orientation ?

4 minutes ago, chrisolson said:

What size iPad and which screen orientation ?

Also, which browser and which theme are you using ?

3 hours ago, eddd said:

Is there a way to allow just the link on threads like this?  It would be up to the poster to provide a little text to let interested parties know more about the link for those who want to check it out.  Most importantly, would this solve the problem?

No, there is no way to enforce such a policy of link only within a particular topic.  Reducing posts per page is an "implementable now" type of solution but the real one is, as mentioned, the pending software upgrade later this year.

Back on hardware specific issues .... I have an iPad Air 2 that loads to the last post in the music video topic without difficulty .  Yes, it did take slightly longer than a predominantly picture topic like the Colorado one,  but it did load

4 hours ago, chrisolson said:

Also, which browser and which theme are you using ?

Sorry to display my ignorance but the only answer I know is i'm using the Light Grey theme. The iPad is an older one and I don't do the updates. (browser :dontknow:) I'll be on a PC tonight so I'll check and see if the same issues are there.

Appreciate you taking the time! :thumbsup:

Edit...

ipad 2

3 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

the only answer I know is i'm using the Light Grey theme.

Its a start  :classic_biggrin:

Light Gray is built off the default product so there should not be any  issues.  The other themes are built with a 3rd party app consequently there is a potential for a difference in behavior.  It is likely that the issue is with the older  iPad and browser particularly if its running on the original IOS  :classic_ohmy:

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

The Member Map doesn't work properly, I don't live in a city or town etc, I entered Wayne County, Utah and it put me in Michigan!

2 hours ago, Bob Palin said:

The Member Map doesn't work properly, I don't live in a city or town etc, I entered Wayne County, Utah and it put me in Michigan!

Well, not working "properly" could be a matter of opinion ... as a programmer you might agree that its possible its "working as designed" :3:

Its a free resource .... it doesn't parse every possible location entry combination of potential elements :14: its for entertainment mostly but could have  real value if you wanted to find folks along an intended touring route.

But seriously, just put in Utah or maybe the closest city ... .  You can add a "message" to your listing indicating where the heck in Utah you are.  Unfortunately that doesn't appear in the pop up, only if you "Browse Markers" and click on your entry which most users wouldn't know was even available so its not a great solution, but it is "working as designed" 

EDIT: you could try zip code ... we strongly advise against that for most people as its veeeeerrrrrrrry inconsistent and could put you in Aruba (better than Michigan)  .. but it might work for you.

After the update, when I use the emojis, I have to click out of the post to remove the selection of emojis blocking the page. :dontknow: Could it be the old un updated IPad at work?

17 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

After the update, when I use the emojis, I have to click out of the post to remove the selection of emojis blocking the page. :dontknow: Could it be the old un updated IPad at work?

It could be ... I couldn't duplicate it on my IPad Air II (about 5 years old).  Are you using safari or chrome ?

9 hours ago, chrisolson said:

EDIT: you could try zip code ... we strongly advise against that for most people as its veeeeerrrrrrrry inconsistent and could put you in Aruba (better than Michigan)  .. but it might work for you.

I specifically don't want to put the nearest city, Torrey has joined Apple and Canada in the sin bin. Zip code would just map to Torrey as well. Maybe I'll put Teasdale, I moved my PO box over there to be less associated with Torrey.

35 minutes ago, chrisolson said:

It could be ... I couldn't duplicate it on my IPad Air II (about 5 years old).  Are you using safari or chrome ?

Safari :computer::computer::computer:  < see

Tried it on a different iPad, (old but not as) and it still sticks. I will try a PC in the morning.

36 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Safari :computer::computer::computer:  < see

Tried it on a different iPad, (old but not as) and it still sticks. I will try a PC in the morning.

try Chrome

1 hour ago, Bob Palin said:

I specifically don't want to put the nearest city, Torrey has joined Apple and Canada in the sin bin. Zip code would just map to Torrey as well. Maybe I'll put Teasdale, I moved my PO box over there to be less associated with Torrey.

Oddly the zip code does seem to work and isn't linked directly to Torrey ...  hopefully this is more in line with what you desired ?358179940_ScreenShot2019-03-15at9_01_44AM.thumb.png.b19f83c69c6c56777f3a94a3daf966be.png

• Like 1

Chris, is there a way to look at a map of the entire U.S. and pick out member locations that way? My thought is if I'm traveling out of state, I'm going to need a pretty good memory to locate someone if I have a breakdown and I'm looking for help. 

ps... Chrome is for Harley riders. :rofl: Oh yeah, I am, sometimes. :dontknow:

Not sure I understand the question. As a user you can’t set your own default zoom level but you do have the capability to zoom in/out .

When I click on members map, I see browse markers. I click that and it pulls up the members that have participated. Their location is there, but for me it would be easier if I could see a pin on a map of all the participants. Depending where I am, I could pop up the closest member.

Don't click browse markers ... zoom out first . 

Is this on a phone or that ancient tablet :14:.  If its a phone depends on Android or IOS and overall screen size and in general its a bit more work ... but on my 6S I can make it work acceptably

Pat, I guess I'm as confused as Chris. The map works as you described, with the exception that members in close proximity are grouped in the green circles. Just zoom in on the circle until it expands into individual pins.   Or,  click on the circle and the map automatically zooms in to show the individual member locations.

Edit: I just saw the "Browse Markers" button. I'm having trouble thinking of a use for that list, especially since I do not see a way to sort by location.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, lkraus said:

Edit: I just saw the "Browse Markers" button. I'm having trouble thinking of a use for that list, especially since I do not see a way to sort by location.

Yeah, that was my initial opinion as well.  But that listing has the capability to add a "note" to that view of the member ... a bit strange as it only appears in that view,  but that's the way it works. Programmers are not your average folk ( I know )

Another way of looking at it is,  if you knew the Member's board name clicking on it takes you directly to that member's pin so of you wanted to find a general location that would be an option.  But that's a stretch option :classic_blink:

EDIT: Strike out text added ... I forgot I disabled that feature since it was confusing that it only appeared in that view and not in the pop up ... which I think most would have expected.

lawnchairboy

can't figure out how to set up member map, despite actually reading the instructions. 

i figured it out.

54 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

It must be my aging Ipad. :old:

Looks like it :(.

No way to update the iOS version / Safari browser on it ?

There may be, but my old school thought (see cheap) says if it isn't broke don't fix it. Meaning I'm suspicious that updates have bugs meant to kill your device. Any truth to that?

15 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

There may be, but my old school thought (see cheap) says if it isn't broke don't fix it. Meaning I'm suspicious that updates have bugs meant to kill your device. Any truth to that?

With Apple,  not so much if at all.  They maintain a very tight control over their own stuff.

Couldn't hurt since at this point, for BMWST anyway, it is broken :mad: . In Settings > General > Software Update . (although I'm surprised you hadn't received various system messages indicating an update was available)

• Like 1

Chris , my icon is green with a house, everyone else has blue with a person on it. What'd I do wrong now. :dontknow: That seems so natural to say. :grin:

Edit...Let me try and answer my own question. Is it only what I see because it's my home?

36 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Chris , my icon is green with a house, everyone else has blue with a person on it. What'd I do wrong now. :dontknow: That seems so natural to say. :grin:

Edit...Let me try and answer my own question. Is it only what I see because it's my home?

All the other people you see are homeless.  (maybe out riding?)  HA

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Yep  ! :18:  Each user when viewing the map see's their own listing as the house.    

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
lawnchairboy

Is there some simple way to select multiple old conversations for deletion en masse' ?   I still had a message from Dick Franz and a couple from Paul in the files. 

thanks,

chris

Unfortunately, no .  The search function is limited to 1 year ago so its of little help either and even if within that time range it apparently only searches for an exact match including capitalization ... cat will not find Cat

• 1 month later...
John Ranalletta

When viewing the Youtube video, at bottom right, see "Share".  Click and an url will be created.  Copy the complete url and paste it to the post you are creating.

image.png.7069b9e37014780bb7fa4f33ad32608c.png