IGNORED

Gear Review: Vemar Kona Dual Sport Helmet

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

vemar-kona-helmet-review

The newly released Kona helmet by the Italian-based company Vemar, takes aim directly at the budget-friendly dual-sport helmet market. An entire magazine-length analysis could be dedicated to the differences between motorcycle helmets in various price categories. From my perspective the primary differences between the high-end helmet and the economically conscious helmets are comfort and quality of components. I can say with confidence that the Kona is a step above its competition in these regards.

The Vemar Kona is one of the more comfortable lids I’ve used in this price range—an aspect that minimizes fatigue, making it highly conducive to long-distance riding. The interior liner and cheek pads are made from a medium-density foam that is highly effective at wicking moisture and sweat. And the interior fabric is a high-tech synthetic fiber designed to reduce odor by suppressing the growth of bacteria.

vemar kona 5

The base of the Kona is slightly flared to complement a neck brace for those looking to maximize safety. But this also makes it a bit of a creative challenge for mounting comm systems. Regarding wind noise and buffeting, like most dual-sport helmets, the peak doesn’t do much in the aerodynamics department at highway speeds. Although appreciable, it’s more than tolerable.

The Kona has excellent ventilation with several vents and exhaust ports. Included with the helmet is a removable chin curtain, to keep wind out and warmth in on cold days. That said, I had some issues with the method of attaching it and would like to see it more secure.

A number of dual-sport helmets miss the mark with their less-than-ideal field of vision. The preservation of the rider’s full field of peripheral vision is, in my opinion, one of the most crucial safety factors of any motorcycle helmet. The Kona takes full advantage of this with a visor the size of some sport bike windshields. It’s made of a scratch-resistant optical material and is pinlock-ready. Additionally, the integral drop-down sun visor is easy to operate with one hand while on the move and provides full coverage and protection.

vemar kona 1

A helmet’s faceshield is often the target of kamikaze attacks from bugs and insects. I thought I’d grown accustomed to hazy lenses on my other helmets after first gazing through the Kona’s visor. As it turned out, the qualification process to obtain the ECE 22.05 rating includes high standards for assessing the visor’s optical quality and clarity.

However, if you’re a serious off-road rider, you’ll probably still opt to protect your eyes with goggles. The Vemar Kona, staying loyal to the adventure rider, is fully capable of accommodating goggles with no required modifications. The shell has a recessed portion designed to ensure that your goggle’s strap stays in place.

The current trend in motorcycle helmet development opts for the more modern ratchet-style chin strap. The ratchet components on the Kona are plastic, but fully capable of handling serious amounts of pressure and force, as per DOT and ECE 22.05 requirements.

As far as high-value/low-price dual-sport helmets go, the Vemar Kona hits the mark and will fully satisfy the needs of most adventure riders. Its versatility and performance should appeal to both the daily commuter and the seasoned world traveler. MSRP: $159 Solid | $169 Graphic Motonation.com

PROS

CONS

Suitable for both urban commuters and Instagram-famous world travelers  The chin curtain might need superglue
 Amazing bang for your buck  Mounting a Bluetooth communicator may require some finesse
 Five-year warranty
5Qcyxn1PQMc

View the full article