IGNORED

Product Review: CTI OTS Carbon Knee Braces

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

product-review-cti-knee-braces

“Grunch!” It’s the sound a knee makes when it is ripped apart. In a state of disbelief and denial, I felt the accompanying pain as my 600-pound BMW R1200GS slammed me to the ground like a rag doll in the hands of an angry toddler. I would later learn that my left ACL and MCL were completely severed and the lateral meniscus badly torn. My plans for the next few months would not permit me to be crippled. I had off-road classes scheduled to teach all over the U.S. and my own training was coming up in Germany. I felt as crushed as my knee.

Following surgery, I began to look for not only a brace for the damaged knee, but something formidable yet comfortable to help prevent it happening to my now only “good knee.” CTI makes braces for almost any sport in which knee injuries would likely occur. Their custom braces can be fit to the individual; however, this should be done before an injury or long after surgery, as swelling and muscle atrophy have a big effect on how they will fit. I chose their OTS (Off the Shelf) carbon fiber braces, which have considerable flexibility of fit, yet there is no compromise in comfort. In most cases a prescription is required to obtain CTI braces, but they are well worth the minor fuss of asking a doctor to provide one if any instability exists that could be exacerbated by the activity of riding off road. Most of us meet that criteria, as I learned the hard way.

ossur 1

I added their MX Kit which includes the patella shield, gear guards for protection between the brace and inner knee contact areas of the motorcycle, and an undersleeve to prevent chafing. The rigid carbon fiber brace frame and Accutrac hinges are warrantied for two years and the other materials, including straps, sleeves, liners and pads, for six months from the date of original purchase.

CTI claims their braces are tested and trusted by the best motorcycle riders and other athletes since 1983, and that riders have won more motorcycle championships in CTI than any other brace. Even so, they remind all users that although several studies and thousands of testimonials show that a properly fit brace will help reduce the chances of injury, it is important to consider that a brace is not a guarantee that you won’t injure your knee(s).

After several thousand miles of on- and off-road use, including a few errant falls, I can attest that these braces are not only practical from a comfort perspective, but they offer peace of mind—my bad leg is protected and my good one also has a fighting chance against the next mishap. MSRP: Costs vary, all orders are custom made. Ossur.com/cti

PROS

CONS

The increase in knee stability and subsequent confidence is almost palatable  In most cases a prescription is required to obtain braces of this quality
 These are medical quality appliances, covered by most insurance companies  It takes an extra moment to fit them before pulling on pants
 Impact protection is far better than armor inserts and they stay put  They must be positioned properly or chafing can occur
 Comfort is paramount - CTI delivers  

Where to Buy:

Amazon btn

MmpLzx5gRAY

View the full article