IGNORED

Corbin Canyon Dual-Sport Saddle for Kawasaki Versys-X 300

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

corbin-canyon-seat-kawasaki-versys-x-300

If you’ve been a motorcyclist for even the shortest time, you’ve probably heard of Corbin. The California-based, custom motorcycle seat manufacturer is well known for handcrafting some of the finest saddles money can buy. Since 1968, Corbin has been using proprietary, purpose-built materials and a patented manufacturing process. That’s a lot of “Ps” but we’ve got one more for you—price. Because each seat is made to order, the cost of these saddles can sometimes be double or even triple that of its competitors. While price is usually only an issue in the absence of value, ADVMoto sought to see if Corbin is twice, or thrice as good as other options.

We contacted Corbin and had a Canyon Dual-Sport Saddle made for our project Versys-X 300. The little Kawi performs admirably as a small-displacement adventure touring motorcycle, but the one thing that holds it back is the stock seat. You won’t even need a test ride to feel the discomfort. Throwing a leg over one in the showroom is enough to give you an uncomfortable first impression.

Corbin Versys X 300 1

Corbin currently offers more seat applications across more brands than any other seat maker, and we’re always surprised to see how quickly they come out with options for the latest motorcycles. Another reason a Corbin seat can cost more is the sheer number of options you get when placing a custom order. The seating and side panels are customizable among different colors and materials. In fact, there are over 70 options for the seating colors/materials alone. Add colored piping and diamond stitching for a truly custom look.

Our Canyon Dual-Sport Saddle came pre-assembled and clicked onto our Versys-X 300 just as quickly and easily as the stock seat. There is a notable difference in weight, the Corbin being the heavier of the two, mainly because of its thick, high-density Comfort Cell Foam. The Fibertech Base Pan feels more robust than the Kawi’s as well. You won’t feel the weight difference while riding.

Corbin Versys X 300 2

It’s easy to see that Corbin pays close attention to detail. There isn’t one thread fraying, odd bump, stretch mark, uneven edge or air pocket. The tolerances are tight! It’s the kind of quality you’d expect from a seat in a high-end sports car. Both rider and passenger seats are bolstered, and wider than the stock seat. I found that Corbin’s shape helps to take pressure off my tailbone, something I really appreciate since I’ve got a bad back. Since the seat is wider than stock, I was concerned that it would push my legs outward while standing up, but Corbin did a great job keeping it slim up front.

Our saddle came with a detachable passenger backrest, and while it may look a bit odd on an adventure bike, your passenger will absolutely love it. Corbin seats do require some time to break in, but even out of the box, this seat is exponentially better than the stocker. And it gets even more comfortable as you rack up the miles. The heavy foam soaks up small hits from potholes, where the stock seat would send jarring impacts straight up your spine.

I’ve tried most of the popular saddle options on the market on various bikes throughout the years, but the Corbin seat for the Versys-X 300 is hands-down the most comfortable seat I’ve tested, not to mention an excellent addition to our project bike. Is the bang worth the buck? You bet your butt it is! And if ours came with Corbin’s heated option, I might not ever get off the thing. MSRP: Starting at $473 Corbin.com

PROS

CONS

Top-shelf quality  About 5 lb. heavier
 Way more comfortable than stock
 Bolstered shape takes pressure off the tailbone
 Lots of customization options  
6z4eEuHFdEw

View the full article