IGNORED

Gear Review: Hand Out Pro Gloves

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

hand-out-pro-gloves-review

As a motorcycling photographer, I often need instant access to use my fingers especially while shooting action shots during group rides. The problem with gloves, especially gauntlets is that they can take too much time to repetitively put on and take off. By the time I’ve found my vantage point, removed my gloves and readied my camera, the first few riders have already passed me. And by the time I’ve got my gloves back on, I have to play catch-up with the rest of the group.

hand out pro glove 4

I first stumbled upon Hand Out Gloves while watching Shark Tank (I love that show). The main feature is simple, yet innovative – a strategically placed zipper across the knuckles that allow your hands to pop in and out of the gloves instantaneously. The finger portion of the gloves can be folded back and attached to the wrist with a strap so they don’t flop around. While the Hand Out Pro Gloves weren’t made specifically for moto photographers, they solve the issues I’ve listed above while keeping my hands nice and cozy.

hand out pro glove 2

Originally designed for winter sports, the Pro Gloves are made for cold-weather, featuring a PrimaLoft interior to keep you warm. The Hipora waterproof lining and weatherproof YKK zipper ensure moisture and cold air doesn’t seep into the glove. The company is expanding their line to tailor to fishermen, hunters, and they’re currently designing work gloves. Nine current designs are available in a wide range of prices, including mittens and children’s gloves. And hopefully, Hand Out will decide to make ventilated, motorcycle-specific gloves that have abrasion resistance and comfort padding in the palm to reduce fatigue. The zipper pull does flap a bit in the wind. Should Hand Out decide to make moto gloves maybe they can add a Velcro strap or button to retain the zipper pull. The latest version features a longer cord zipper pull that might be able to be secured using the wrist strap, but I haven’t been able to confirm this.  They also come with a PASS POCKET for RFID scanning and a nifty hand warmer pocket.

Since the Pro Glove is designed to resist snow, they’re a bit thicker than standard motorcycle gloves and have kept me warm during chilly December rides on the East Coast. They’re bulky and you do loose a bit of “feeling” in the fingertips, but the trade-off for extra warmth from the high-quality materials and solid construction is very much appreciated. If things got too toasty, the knuckle zipper allowed me to vent some of that heat. The Pro Glove is a gauntlet and can be worn over or under your sleeves. I found that when I pop my hands out, the wrist portion of the glove helps to prevent warmth from escaping through my jacket's sleeves. And since they stay attached to your wrist, you’re not wasting time remembering where you stuffed them after a pit stop.

hand out pro glove 3

The “Hand Out” feature works really well, and the more you use it, the more intuitive it gets. I had to remind myself that I didn’t have to take my gloves off the first few times I used them. The tension on the zipper has a nice feel, and isn’t as firm as waterproof zippers on moto luggage. Speaking of waterproof, I ran the gloves under a sink for about a minute and they are indeed waterproof.

hand out pro glove 5

My initial need for these gloves was to be able to ride and photograph easily, but I’ve found myself grabbing these for off-the-bike errands too, like helping a buddy move a couch in pouring rain in the middle of the night (true story), and of course, shoveling snow. I imagine they're great for skiing and snowboarding too. They've become a regular part of my kit for shooting cold weather races and outdoor events, not to mention, handy (no pun intended) to have around the campsite as well. Hand Out Pro Gloves are versatile and have a unique and specific feature that can be appreciated anytime you need the feeling, dexterity and precision of your hands. Fingers-crossed for motorcycle-specific gloves in the future! MSRP: $250 HandOutGloves.com

hand out pro glove 1

Where to Buy:

Amazon btn

PROS

CONS

"Hand Out" feature is creative and well-implimented  Patiently waiting for moto gloves
 Warm enough for winter riding
 Premium quality, comfortable and waterproof
4Q3ANvX1MBA

View the full article