IGNORED

Weaverville - May 10-12

Twisties

Patty at Red Hill Motel is expecting us May 10-12. 530 623 4331

I think the Highway 36 reconfiguration project should be complete, so I believe both 36 and 299 should be open.

Rates are the same as last year.

• 2 weeks later...

IN unless I get a better offer :-)   No job to interfere with my plans this year but you never know what else can get in the way. Booked at the motel today.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:java:  Looking at maps, trying to calculate my chances of getting over the Canadian Rockies that early in the season (February and March were very cold and dumped lots of snow in our mountains).  

Could trailer, I guess......    

Don't tell Linda ..........  she wants to go to London (UK).  

Mike Cassidy

10 hours ago, MikeRC said:

:java:  Looking at maps, trying to calculate my chances of getting over the Canadian Rockies that early in the season (February and March were very cold and dumped lots of snow in our mountains).  

Mike Cassidy

Sharon still has a Super Tenere available, if you want to ride from our place.

• Like 1

I'm still working on the "hall pass" from the boss.   I happen to have May 4th to 20th off work.  Our original plan to go to London or Paris for a week has been shelved due to rapidly rising flight costs (should have booked in December when I first started looking). 

But I'm already committed to a 25 day trip in November in South America (Mendoza, Argentina to Ushuia), so I've used most of my "Brownie Points" with the boss. 

I still don't have the Death Valley or Joshua Tree stamps in my National Parks Passport so maybe I should just include Torrey as well? 

Seeing Marty is an extra incentive :)

Mike Cassidy

Hi Mike, I'll be at weaverville, not torrey.  It's been a long time, no see.  All well here/hope same for you and yours.

Marty

• Like 1

I just called Patty, and she's out of rooms.  (I know, I know, should have called earlier...)

Are there any other motels in town?

4 minutes ago, FlyingFinn said:

I just called Patty, and she's out of rooms.  (I know, I know, should have called earlier...)

Are there any other motels in town?

Yes, there are.  

There is a fancy historic one on the corner right next door that Richard and Jacqueline stayed in a couple of years ago.... pricey but maybe worth it if Camille is coming.  You could inquire of Richard and Jac to see what they thought of it.  I believe it's called the Emporium.

Then there are a number of others.  In the other thread, Big Tup says he and his party of 5 are staying at the 49er.  The Victorian Inn always looked interesting to me, but IDK if they are open.

Hope to be there with a straight rim and a repaired shoulder.

Thanks for the Hotel Link Jan.  Patty said she's booked.

• Like 3

Embarrassing. In my old age I thought I had booked a room. I had not. I just called Patty. She is full. So I can’t continue the tradition of cabin #1... beware who has #1.

If I drink too much I may stumble in there. 

So I’ll be at the 49er Inn. Looks to be down near the Nugget. 

Mikko, you’ve got company.

MB>

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm booked at the Anchor Lodge in Ft. Bragg, which is right next to "Silver's at the Wharf" restaurant.    $72 

Edited by Traveler1
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎2019‎/‎03‎/‎16 at 9:38 AM, MikeRC said:

Mike Cassidy

Spring is very late arriving this year.  Lows below freezing at night with a rain/snow mix continue into next week. 

Going to have to be a last minute decision. 

Mike Cassidy

• Confused 1

My situation has changed and allows me to make it this year after all!

I am now IN.

Booked at the Anchor Lodge Thursday, 49er Fri & Sat.

I'll figure out the ride home between now n then...

:5188:

• Like 3
On 5/1/2019 at 12:23 PM, MikeRC said:

Spring is very late arriving this year.  Lows below freezing at night with a rain/snow mix continue into next week. 

Going to have to be a last minute decision. 

Mike Cassidy

If you want to fly to Crescent City and ride Sharon's Tenere, we'll pick you up, and all.

Thanks for the offer Jan, but I could also trailer the bike to somewhere in Washington state and ride from there. 

The weather forecast for next week has improved a bit so let's see what happens by Tuesday.  

Gotta get over the Rockies somehow and they have still been using sand in Banff & Kootenay Parks with the snow this week.  

Mike

The 7-day forecast is leaning to the warm side.  As it stands, we are looking at dry and sunny conditions with highs in the low 90's and lows around 50.  Of course, the coast is looking much cooler, with highs around 70.  Should be great riding weather.  

• Like 2

From 2015

The Red Hill20150528_200251.thumb.jpg.d7cf4a255c115701ab027fa9af7d06b0.jpg

If you walk down that gravel road a bit...

20150529_065129.thumb.jpg.96257511a6eda688d02ab81f0e6cd127.jpg

Rest stop along one of those nameless roads.20150529_140657.thumb.jpg.0bc978531ea0c02651cbad18a77aa7a3.jpg

I just spoke with the Happy Camp District Office of the Six Rivers National Forest and learned that Greyback Pass is NOT OPEN and will not be open this weekend due to seasonal snowpack.  Most likely this only affects those of us coming from Brookings.  Greyback is the pass from O'Brien, OR to Happy Camp, CA and is a very fine ride if you ever get the chance.

Rt 3 is open.  Snow is not cleared nights and weekends up north by Callahan, but this should not be an issue for us with this weather.

Rt 96 is open with areas of 4 areas of 1-way controlled traffic.  The two most likely to affect us are scheduled to end today.  Caltrans did not give info on estimated delays, but usually these are only a few minutes.

Rt 299 is open with a number of areas of 1-way controlled traffic.  Fortunately, several of them are open weekends.  

Rt 36 presently has 4 areas of 1-way controlled traffic, however all 4 are scheduled to end today, so 36 should be a clear shot on it's new alignment.

30 minutes ago, stubble! said:

For those doing the Fort Bragg pre-run, do you usually go 36 on Friday? Or Zenia Road? 

What’s your recommendation.?

1 hour ago, longjohn said:

What’s your recommendation.?

Well I usually try to do both when I'm up there, and you can go up one and back the other. - 36 is amazing and well-paved. The Zenia road route is rough overall and even unpaved for short sections, but is gorgeous and remote. Doable on an RT but can be rough. And 299 is a third option from 101 to Weaverville and makes a nice loop with 36. 

FlyingFinn

Garberville, Alderpoint, Zenia, 36...  that’s an awesome route. 

If anyone is heading through that way on Friday, count me in. 

I don't recommend Alderpoint for two-up riders, and definitely better on an adventure bike than an RT.  It is beautiful country.   

Looks like we're going to be in Fort Bragg tonight too.  

It'll be up to Dana whether we do Alderpoint/Zenia tomorrow. She's done it once before :whistle:

• Like 1
Bill_Walker
On 5/8/2019 at 7:59 AM, Twisties said:

I don't recommend Alderpoint for two-up riders, and definitely better on an adventure bike than an RT.  It is beautiful country.   

Late to this, since most everybody is probably already headed home, but for the record, I've done Alderpoint twice on an RT, once each on the '04 and '15.  On the '04, I blew a seal on my front Ohlins shock and broke my under-the-oil-cooler PIAA light bracket.  Not exactly sure when the seal blew, though.  On the '15, I had no difficulties and the ride was a lot more comfortable.  

There is a difference between the RT and the GS. When it costs me money in repairs to fix damage to an RT caused by potholes, I’ll draw the line. I’ve ridden through bad stuff. I’ll avoid it on the RT if possible.