IGNORED

Weaverville aka Dead Center in the Middle of Nowhere?

Twisties

How's the interest for May 10-12? Shall we keep it in Weaverville at Red Hill, or try a go in Arcata or Ft Bragg or elsewhere in the area?

IN. For me, there are still a number of roads around Weaverville I haven't ridden (basically anything to the north). But I'd be fine with the other locations, too.

CoarsegoldKid

Maybe by then I'll have a bike to ride. If I do I plan to basically do the same as I did last year just to break it up some. Bye the way NmS is two weekends earlier.

Maybe by then I'll have a bike to ride. If I do I plan to basically do the same as I did last year just to break it up some. Bye the way NmS is two weekends earlier.

This has always been the problem. In the past we've chosen weekend before Memorial Day, which gives us more separation from you, and better chances for dry weather and all of the roads to be open, but coincides with Spring Torrey. There have been a lot of complaints about interference with spring Torrey, so I thought I 'd propose going a week earlier.

What's up with your bike?

This has always been the problem. In the past we've chosen weekend before Memorial Day, which gives us more separation from you, and better chances for dry weather and all of the roads to be open, but coincides with Spring Torrey. There have been a lot of complaints about interference with spring Torrey, so I thought I 'd propose going a week earlier.

What's up with your bike?

If things are getting backed up with other planned rides is there any reason it couldn't be a bit later...like in June or July? This years UN is so far that western people might be interested in an alternative.

In...regardless of dates. Coinciding with Torrey is, for some, a concern, but remember, there are 2 Torrey's...Fall Torrey is wonderful. Spring Weaverville is also wonderful. I love the place. I know the original intent was to move this event around, but there's something funky about this little town and area that says” come on back”...

Set it up Jan. The riders will come. And if Joe doesn't have a bike, then he can cage it on up to my place and pick up a loaner.

MB>

In...regardless of dates. Coinciding with Torrey is, for some, a concern, but remember, there are 2 Torrey's...Fall Torrey is wonderful. Spring Weaverville is also wonderful. I love the place. I know the original intent was to move this event around, but there's something funky about this little town and area that says” come on back”...

Set it up Jan. The riders will come. And if Joe doesn't have a bike, then he can cage it on up to my place and pick up a loaner.

MB>

The R1200RTW?

:lurk:

I love Weaverville and the farmer. I agree with my short friend it would be nice to have an alternative to the un. The weather would be much nicer during that time frame

IN. For me, there are still a number of roads around Weaverville I haven't ridden (basically anything to the north). But I'd be fine with the other locations, too.

Oops. I failed to notice the proposed change in dates. I can't make those dates. :(

CoarsegoldKid

I'd love to ride the RTW but my budget tells me I shouldn't.  I'll hold out that my RT will be repaired for NmS in April and good to go for Weaverville.  I better get my reservations taken care of soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a new member and would live to attend. I'd make this part of a larger trip from Santa Cruz CA  Medford OR and back with an overnight or two in Weaverville. 

Best 

Miguel!

• Like 1

Its a few days late but thanks Twisties. I'll look forward to meeting you. My planned ride is Santa Cruz N to Walnut Creek to spend the night with my sister, then N to Weaverville, Next day with my neice in BF in Mt Shasta, then onto Medford to spend the day/night w my former boss, then back to the coast and S  to Mill Valley to spend the night with one of my longest friends, then home to Santa Cruz with a potential stop at UCSF in San Francisco. This would be my longest ride ever I think, 500-700 miles depending on which way I go. Miguel

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Can someone explain the ride? Can anyone go, sounds like you all know each other. Do you ride in one group, or break off into smaller groups. How organized is this, and what pace do you go?

Just to say that I'm a pretty seasoned rider. I'm on my second RT, and I love getting out. Lucky me, I just retired and would like to meet new riders. I would likely go up the coast from the Bay Area, or grab 128 around Cloverdale and end up taking 36 over, or just go up to 299. I never thought I would prefer camping after riding 300 or so miles, but I do. We did family camping for over 20 years straight at Trinity in our younger days, so I know that area.

Please give me the lay of the land here as far as this ride, and others on the list.

Most of us know each other but do not necessarily ride as a  group.  Make your res at the hotel and show up.  I may even be in a car since I'm coming from Atlanta.

1 hour ago, Marty Hill said:

Most of us know each other but do not necessarily ride as a  group.  Make your res at the hotel and show up.  I may even be in a car since I'm coming from Atlanta.

Some also fly to Weaverville but stop in the river

John and river plane.jpg

Edit:

QUINCY, Calif. (KOLO)-- A man and a child walked away from a plane crash Friday morning in Plumas County south of Lake Almanor and north of Quincy, the Plumas County Sheriff’s Office reported.
The office received the report of the crash into Indian Creek at about 8:09 a.m. Search crews responded and found the male pilot and the juvenile passenger were not injured in the crash of the Cessna C182 near California 89 just north of the Feather River.
The aircraft had substantial damage.
The Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation and Safety Board are investigating
  • Like 1
Bill_Walker
4 hours ago, BigTup said:

Can someone explain the ride? Can anyone go, sounds like you all know each other. Do you ride in one group, or break off into smaller groups. How organized is this, and what pace do you go?

All of the BMWST events are loosely organized.  The most organized is the UNRally, which usually includes some planned ride loops from the host lodging with maps and/or GPS files available.  Most others don't even include that.  Day rides tend to be organized over breakfast, but are sometimes organized the night before, with multiple groups heading in different directions, and anyone is welcome to join in on any ride that sounds interesting.  Show up Friday, meet some folks, have dinner, talk riding, and you'll figure it out.  Pace varies.  Some rides are very fast.  Others like to "smell the roses".  Ask the folks who are going.  But most folks are pretty good about waiting at turning points for stragglers to catch up.  Still, these are no HOG rides, with Ride Captains and Sweepers.  Be prepared to navigate if you get separated.

Last year, several of us coming up from the south met up Thursday night in Fort Bragg and continued together as far as Garberville, where we split up into a couple of groups taking different routes to Weaverville.

I'm sad to say I won't be able to make it this year, but I'm still monitoring the thread.

Having flown for 30 years, that is truly a sad sight.  Glad the two people were ok/so not a crash but a good forced landing.

The Red Hill is a small single owner establishment with a central courtyard.  We tend to hang out and socialize in the courtyard in the afternoons as riders come in.  Then people group up to walk into town for dinner.  There are usually some snacks and beverages in the courtyard that are shared around.  The hotel is older, unpretentious, relaxed.  

The historic downtown is about a block away, and continues about half a mile.  The restaurant scene is always changing, year to year, but there will be plenty within walking distance.  The riding is spectacular, but for non-riding time there is the Joss House, the town museum complex and some shops.  A pretty little mountain town.  

Riding in the area consists of 299, 36, 3, and 96 for primary routes.  There are three what I call goat paths between route 3 and route 96 through Forks of the Salmon and Scott's Bar.   Plus we are finding several other little rides.  Some riders have gone from 36 to 299 above Arcata-Eureka, but I haven't and am not sure of that route.  

Coming from the south, 128 to Ft Bragg, and then 1 to Leggett is always great.  There are several alternates in this area. 

You can also explore The Lost Coast or the road up from Garberville through Alderpoint to Mad River.  Both of these options have considerable remote rough road.

Did the Lost Coast Road about 5 years ago.  If you must, go ahead but not much to see tho the small bit along the coast is nice.

2 hours ago, Marty Hill said:

Did the Lost Coast Road about 5 years ago.  If you must, go ahead but not much to see tho the small bit along the coast is nice.

It's not my favorite, but for some is a bucket list item.   As I say, I like 128/1 to Ft Bragg.

6 hours ago, Twisties said:

The Red Hill is a small single owner establishment with a central courtyard.  We tend to hang out and socialize in the courtyard in the afternoons as riders come in.  Then people group up to walk into town for dinner.  There are usually some snacks and beverages in the courtyard that are shared around.  The hotel is older, unpretentious, relaxed.  

The historic downtown is about a block away, and continues about half a mile.  The restaurant scene is always changing, year to year, but there will be plenty within walking distance.  The riding is spectacular, but for non-riding time there is the Joss House, the town museum complex and some shops.  A pretty little mountain town.  

Riding in the area consists of 299, 36, 3, and 96 for primary routes.  There are three what I call goat paths between route 3 and route 96 through Forks of the Salmon and Scott's Bar.   Plus we are finding several other little rides.  Some riders have gone from 36 to 299 above Arcata-Eureka, but I haven't and am not sure of that route.  

Coming from the south, 128 to Ft Bragg, and then 1 to Leggett is always great.  There are several alternates in this area. 

You can also explore The Lost Coast or the road up from Garberville through Alderpoint to Mad River.  Both of these options have considerable remote rough road.

Cornelis took us on Titlow Hill Rd off of 299 last year, and it does go through some forest service roads, which change name frequently.  Three people with gps had trouble finding their way down to 36.  It was scenic and twisty tho.  Maybe the forest service has usable maps for that area.

I had been calling the Red Hill Motel for days and finally got through (they had been having issues with their phones), so I've also made reservations for my wife and myself.  I look forward to meeting and riding with all of you come May.  Longjohn, I rode Titlow Hill Rd. from Hwy 299 south to Madriver  (Hwy 36) a couple of years ago by myself.  It was one of the longest 58 miles I'd ever done.  A lot of it was very twisty and fun and a lot of it was pretty rough with major potholes and such.  Lots of major ups and downs as well.  The final miles of very steep and curvy downhill into Madriver had just been newly chip sealed so the surface was very loose from the freshly laid gravel on the chip seal.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info on the ride. Sounds like fun. 5 of us are coming. We have reservations at the Best Western in Ft. Bragg on May 9th, and reservations the 10th and 11th at the 49r. Red Hill was booked. If anyone is at Ft. Bragg you know where we will be, and we will keep an eye out other riders as well. We will try to meet up at Red Hill also. Really looking forward to it!