IGNORED

headlight

JamesW

Look out, another illuminating thread. Really happy with the Kisan unit and now considering a head light modulator and have a couple questions.

Do you think the device does any good as far as increasing rider safety is concerned?

Do you think this device could actually serve to irritate some cage drivers to the point of doing stupid things like standing on the brakes?

The modulator I'm considering will modulate either the high or low beam whichever is selected then switch the other beam to constant on when selected with operation of the hi/lo switch. So, if you choose to modulate the high beam and switch to low beam the low beam is on constant with only the high beam modulated when selected. The modulated beam is switched on and off 3 times per second. The device is also plug and play.

My interest in doing every thing I can to ride safer is driven by what I see as greatly increased levels of aggressiveness from an increasing number of cage drivers. In these parts traffic has greatly increased in recent years due mainly to an alarming influx of people from the golden state of mind that being CA. Makes a poor Oregonian want to build a time machine. :dopeslap:

Edited by JamesW

I lane-split in Cali for 10 years before moving up here in 2006, and I've never had a headlight modulator. I've also only had one big crash: t-boned by a left turner coming out of a side street. In 2014, in Oregon.

I don't like seeing modulators myself (I don't know if you can tell they're on when they're on your own bike). And I don't recall seeing them often on cop bikes, which is the rider group I generally look to for things that work. Finally, there's always some background chatter about legality. I don't know the details, but would guess it depends on where you are, and how aggressive the cops are about enforcing those laws.

I tend not to bother with most "visibility" gadgets -- I wear a black 'Stich, fer crissake, even though the insurance company in my crash asked some pointed questions about my bike and riding-gear color. The only exception is that I like running my turn signals in always-on, running-light mode. I think the yellow-plus-red is more visible from the rear than red alone, even if you have a bunch of extra red lights on back there.

FWIW, my technique for getting people to back off is just to slalom mildly in my lane. A few cycles of 1/2-lane weaving will usually get a tailgater to back off to a better distance. You can also turn fully around in the saddle and stare at the guy...sometimes that helps.

Look out, another illuminating thread. Really happy with the Kisan unit and now considering a head light modulator and have a couple questions.

Do you think the device does any good as far as increasing rider safety is concerned?

Do you think this device could actually serve to irritate some cage drivers to the point of doing stupid things like standing on the brakes?

The modulator I'm considering will modulate either the high or low beam whichever is selected then switch the other beam to constant on when selected with operation of the hi/lo switch. So, if you choose to modulate the high beam and switch to low beam the low beam is on constant with only the high beam modulated when selected. The modulated beam is switched on and off 3 times per second. The device is also plug and play.

My interest in doing every thing I can to ride safer is driven by what I see as greatly increased levels of aggressiveness from an increasing number of cage drivers. In these parts traffic has greatly increased in recent years due mainly to an alarming influx of people from the golden state of mind that being CA. Makes a poor Oregonian want to build a time machine. :dopeslap:

Afternoon James

Some riders think they work, & some don't.

Over the years I have read a lot of unscientific studies & opinions & there seems to be no real apples to apples data showing that they work.

Then you have the in-betweeners like myself. I think they work in some instances & are worse than regular headlights in others.

My personal opinion is that the flashing is more readily picked up in a drivers peripheral vision but that can be a good thing or a bad thing depending-- So if the flashing prevents a driver from puling out in front of you then it worked in that instance. On the other hand if they still don't see you & pull out anyhow and THEN catch you in their peripheral vision that (to me anyhow) is a very bad thing as you are already starting your evasive maneuver & they can suddenly change their predictable direction, or accelerate, or brake, or do something different anyhow. (bottom line, to me anyhow, if a driver pulls out in front of me or turns in front off me then the LAST THING I want them to do is see me & do something even more stupid)

A driver that pulls out or turns in front of me is usually fairly predictable so is usually very easy to just ride around, so the LAST THING I want a driver to do is see me after they have started their turn or pull-out then do something stupid & unpredictable.

I have a co-worker that swears by his headlight modulator but he is always telling me about all the close calls & near collisions he has riding to work. I ride most of the same roads going to work & I can usually count the close calls on one finger per a year. But I ride much differently than he does, he is a very cautious reactor type rider & I am an aggressive rider that usually doesn't slow or brake for stupid drivers as I am more of a proactive avoidance rider that simply rides or swerves around the idiot.

Plus I read way ahead looking for possible problems & he doesn't do that as he basically waits for problems to present themselves then reacts, usually a too late to do anything but brake hard & pray.

The other thing that I (personally) don't like about headlight modulators is I have a more difficult time judging closing distance to the darn things (might just be my eyes to brain connection, or possibly not & others could have the same problem)

You might do your own test-- just install one, then ride a couple of months, then turn it off, then ride another couple of months with it off -- see which way gives you the warm & fuzzies.

How about a combination between your desired modulator on the main beams/,s and aux lights.

From experience, I can tell you that having 3x lights on your bike, makes a HUGE difference in how oncoming traffic sees you. What happens is that you get a triangle of light spots, and thus, oncoming drivers can better estimate the distance between you and them by having 3 equidistant light sources than by only having one spot of light, being it modulated or not.

Other than that, more light makes night riding way more comfortable for you, because you get to see more of the road and observe possible dangers more early.

Dan.

I always see opinions on both sides of this question. That's what they are - opinions. I ride a Kisan headlight modulator in all of my bikes. Just to clear up a few things mentioned in the original post: Headlight modulators are legal in all 50 states, there is a federal statute that overrides any local or state restriction. I believe they are legal in all of Canada also. That is assuming that the modulator conforms to the legal specification. The original post may just have a mis-statement, but legal modulators don't turn the lamp on-off. The headlight is modulated from full power to 70% (I think that's it, might be off a little).

You can "see" if the modulator is working by looking at most reflective street markers; you should see the beam pulsing in the reflective area. My experience with them is all positive. I see drivers at intersections where the hood of the car dives forward as the brakes are applied hard. It's hard to prove a negative, but I rarely have a driver enter my space unexpectedly. Have never had a negative reaction to the modulator, at least never a road rage type of reaction. Had a few people pull up to me and tell me there was something loose in my headlight. I've occasionally had a driver pull over as if reacting to law enforcement - almost always an elderly driver. Never had any law enforcement express any concern about it.

...Do you think the device does any good as far as increasing rider safety is concerned?...Do you think this device could actually serve to irritate some cage drivers...

Yes to both. I ran a Kisan unit for several years on a Vstrom with dual headlights. It modulated the high beams, and had an sensor that turned it off when it got dark. I used it primarily on uncontrolled access highways. I sometimes turned it on briefly while riding on the interstate if a driver in front of me was holding up traffic in the left lane. (It works to get their attention, what they do then is usually move over, but not always). I initially used it on city streets too, but stopped that practice after noting adverse reactions from drivers of the cars around me.

You can often see that it catches the attention of drivers in front of you because their heads will move to look in their mirror.

One time I was riding in town on a street with a long sequence of synchronized traffic lights. It was a 4-lane road, I was in the left lane, and the driver in front of me was matching the speed of the car to her right while both of them would slowly proceed from one red light to the next. I wanted to get around them so I could go 5mph faster, and synch up with the lights. Eventually, the woman driving the car in front of me slowed enough to pull behind the car on her right, at which point she rolled down her window and started yelling at me at the next traffic light. "Did you know that your headlight is broken?!!" "It's really annoying!!!"

"Yes, it is!!! That's the point!!!" I yelled back, but I don't think she heard me. :wave:

Cap

Very informative responses so far, thanks.

I wasn't aware Kisan makes a modulator that will work on an R1100 motorcycle. I would prefer a Kisan as I certainly like my SR-5.

I was wrong when I said the head light was turned off and on. I just assumed that was the case. The modulator I was referring to has a 30% low and 70% high light intensity. I assumed these numbers were arrived at because the headlight cycled 3 times per second hence the 30% after glow effect when power was removed.

Hello spacewrench, maybe the guy that nailed you was also from CA. :D Anymore the odds favor it.

Anyway, I'm still undecided. D.R. makes some very good points and I do agree the last thing you want is a cage driver seeing you late and then changes his train of thought when you are committed to an evasive action plan. That is just scary to even think about. Idiots making a left turn in front of you has always given me nightmares. I am no doubt getting a bit paranoid in my old age which doesn't help my state of mind whilst cruising through life on two wheels.

A 2nd, and 3rd set of fog/driving lights works well, as Dana implied.

Agree w/most of above.

Yes, noticeable.

Yes, high in annoyance factor.

At times, really high.

Adding a yellow light combo always seemed highly conspicuous, to me.

You can see them, and judge speed, IMO.

I ran Motolights and PIAA 1100 (old school, yes) on the

caliper and oil cooler on the GT, very noticeable and variable control for situations.

I've seen 1 regul;ar and 1 yellow light in a driving light on mc and it was noticeable.

None of those have the PO factor a modulator has, again, IMO.

On my RSL I had PIAA 1100's w/their proprietary yellow beam mounted at the spots the rondels are.

Very noticeable, height, width.

Best wishes.

Hi Tallman, good info, thanks.

Kind of off subject but you have owned an impressive array of BMW motorcycles. I'm curious which bike you liked and enjoyed the most?

On the front tip overs bars on my FJR I have a pair of very high intensity LED off road vehicle driving lights mounted. The white lights were very bright and irritated oncoming vehicles so I took some clear yellow plastic index cards and cut them to fit and inserted them behind the clear glass thus creating some rather large very bright fog lamps. Works great.

I'm trying to keep the RSL in factory original condition with no external modifications of any kind that's why I hesitate to mount PIAA lights on the bike.

Kisan does have a neat plug and play headlight modulator that will plug directly into the headlight with headlight connector plugging directly into it. You won't see it and it doesn't modify the bike in any way so this will be for the RSL. That's if I go with a modulator. I'm really fearful of pissing of a tourist and so many tourists are just not happy especially after about a thousand miles on highway 101 with the wife and kids howling and yelling. What ever happened to the concept of taking a restful refreshing summer vacation with the family?

If oncoming driver irritated, that should be fixable with alignment.

Rarely had any oncoming vehicle flash me.

Used judiciously.

Doesn't PIAA make a bracket?

I used the fork mounts for my MotoLites.

Bike is still "stock".

Can be removed.

Add conspicuity, enhance safety.

Usually I had 1 bike at a time, so that was the one.

:grin:

But, after 35 years of boxers, I went to the Dark Side with the brick GT.

Not the most nimble in twisites, with me.

But, it carried us 2 up all over the country and to Nova Scotia.

Comfort, fast, smooth. Similar to the FJR when going down the road.

Probably my choice because it was the one we rode after the kids were grown, she rarely rode before.

Memories.

But, that said, the R50 was a blast.

No pretensions. 55-80mph fun, high mpg, black, white pin stripes, cool.

Ahead of the curve riding one in the 60's.

The R75 was a gold toaster. Flashy, fast, could cruise over 100 all day.

The R100 had triple discs, speedo broke at 189,000, 20 years before I sold it running like new.

The RSL stole my heart.

Style (black/silver), fast, fun in twisties. Mine was mirror smooth at 90mph.

It overlapped the R100 RT for a while, until I was riding it daily and sold the RT to a rider/collector.

Best wishes.

If oncoming driver irritated, that should be fixable with alignment.

Rarely had any oncoming vehicle flash me.

Used judiciously.

Afternoon tallman

Most of the available headlight modulators modulate or flash the high beam (I believe the Kisan does 'or did' that anyhow) so alignment isn't really much of an option on those units.

Some headlight modulators do (or did a while back anyhow) allow selecting either high beam or low beam to modulate so the low beam would obviously be less offensive but the low beam would probably be less effective also. (I haven't installed a headlight modulator for anyone in a long time now so maybe the newer Kisan units now allow hi or low beam modulation selection).

If your unit modulated the low beam then that could explain less irritation to oncoming drivers.

Hi tallman (Tim), I agree, my RSL has pretty much stole my heart as well :)

I like my FJR very much but if I had to choose the RSL would win every time. Just something about it. When I give up riding I'm going to somehow get the RSL into the living room and just let my wife go berserk and she will.

Edited by JamesW

I think if you are concerned about irritating cage drivers, then you might be missing the point. Clearly there is no benefit to irritating anyone. The purpose of the modulator is to make you more conspicuous. So, if you are riding in some situation in which you have already been noticed, then turn the modulator off. For example, when riding behind a car for any length of time, turn it off.

I think I recall from an safety seminar that something like 70% of moto fatalities involve a left turn. Those are the situations when I want to be more conspicuous. So, I leave the modulator on when I am cruising on uncontrolled highways with opportunities for left turns. If cage drivers are momentarily irritated by a diddling headlamp, so be it -- at least they have seen me before they might have otherwise, and their momentary irritation will pass just as quickly. I am quite sure that if you asked the driver of a car how they felt after colliding with a motorcycle that seemed to them to appear at the last second, they would say they feel terrible. In the calculus of others' feelings, momentary irritation is better than feeling terrible, and safer for all.

Afternoon Cap, I agree with you 100%. You mirror my thoughts and last night I ordered the Kisan modulator. No wiring at all with their newest unit just plugs on to the headlight then the headlight power connector plugs into it. Couldn't be simpler.

DR

Should've been specific.

Was refering to his already installed and tried additional lights.

Not a modulator.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, installed my headlight modulator but had trouble deciding where to locate the light sensor and I don't fancy drilling test holes in my pristine plastic.  So, I just cut the micro-mini plug off the sensor and soldered the two wires together then slipped a piece of heat shrink over my new jumper plug and no more light sensor.  Now I decide when to switch to low beam thus turning off the modulator.  Only fly in the ointment is now I can't use the high beam without engaging the modulator but that's alright since i never but never ride at night and never use the high beam anyway.

I know, it's not legal to run a modulator without a light sensor but oh well.....who's to know?  If I later decide to use a sensor a replacement from Kisan Electronics is less than $9 with $3.60 shipping but i don't see that happening.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:48 PM, JamesW said:

OK, installed my headlight modulator but had trouble deciding where to locate the light sensor and I don't fancy drilling test holes in my pristine plastic.  So, I just cut the micro-mini plug off the sensor and soldered the two wires together then slipped a piece of heat shrink over my new jumper plug and no more light sensor. 

I had a modulator on my last VFR.  I simply zip tied the light sensor to the throttle cable to avoid drilling holes in my bike.  In city riding, I would usually cover the sensor to disable the modulator,  then I could leave the light on constant high beam for lane splitting.  When riding outside of town, especially in forested areas, I would remove the cover to modulate the headlight.  The idea being that a strobing headlight might deter deer from crossing my path.