IGNORED

Tail & Break Lights Out

freetime2247

Checked the dash and had the rear tail light indicator on. Checked the rear tail lights and one bulb was burnt. I changed the bulb, functioned checked and reinstalled the tail light housing. Cranked the bike this morning for a ride to work and the tail light indicator was on again! Checked the rear lights and no tail or break lights.

Anyone every have break light out and bulb replacement not solve the issue? P.S. I also have the additional BMW LED brake light installed at the dealer several years ago.

Hi. The rear taillight wiring is kind of stuffed inside the area behind the lens and around the two vertical mount point for the top case mount. It's possible over time the wires have rubbed through their insulation and are shorting out back there. I had this happen last summer while on a long trip. I wrapped the harness with tape in areas that were prone to making contact and that solved this issue.

You might also look at the BMW LED wire connections on the tail light. The Factory setup had a kind of adapter that doubled the connection for the light and or ground. If memory serves, one of those is longish - so have a look there. As you look at the tail light wiring, you'll see the extra wires going to the adapter.I'm not sure anything is this area can short on metal, but check it over to be sure.

I can send photos if you need some direction.

Checked the dash and had the rear tail light indicator on. Checked the rear tail lights and one bulb was burnt. I changed the bulb, functioned checked and reinstalled the tail light housing. Cranked the bike this morning for a ride to work and the tail light indicator was on again! Checked the rear lights and no tail or break lights.

Anyone every have break light out and bulb replacement not solve the issue? P.S. I also have the additional BMW LED brake light installed at the dealer several years ago.

Afternoon freetime2247

A good place to start your search is what Indy Dave posted above.

If you don't find a smoking gun, or all looks good, then next move is to disconnect that additional BMW LED brake light, if that thing is shorted then the short can force the ZFE module to shut the rear lighting circuit down until the problem is gone or repaired.

I found the bear wire making contact on the connector as it plugs into the light socket. Problem solved! Thanks for the assistance!