IGNORED

Sport Touring on a S1000XR

highbeam

I recently went to a S1000XR and think it is a great sport touring machine.

I'm 70 years old and it was my birthday present to me last month. I'd ridden a friend's XR a couple of years ago and was so very impressed with it I couldn't get it out of my mind.

Previous bikes I've had include, latest first:

2014 BMW K1300S

2011 Ducati Multistrada S

2014 BMW R1150GSA

1999 BMW R1100S

1984 BMW K100

1975 BMW R75/5

and a few more

Anyway, the S1000XR doesn't seem too popular here but I hope I'm still welcome.

All the best!

• Like 1
... Anyway, the S1000XR doesn't seem too popular here but I hope I'm still welcome.

Most anyone who rides is welcome, regardless !! Although I have had many BMW's and still ride a 99 R1100S, my current touring bike is similar in orientation ... 2003 Yamaha FZ1

fz1_9.jpg

Enjoy the site and attend some events to meet some of the great folks who are here.

Welcome to the board Wayne. The S1000XR is a fine platform in my eyes as I like lighter bikes. I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of yours.

shoot I am just as rare as you, I attend BMWST events on my S1000r (yes the single R)

attend all the events you want. shoot come out to New York for this years UN.

we can ride the "odd ball" bikes together :-)

• 1 month later...

Kind of ironic, that this board was founded around sport touring, and with your S1000XR , you and I are the rare birds...   I truly think my XR is one hell of a bike. Relatively light handling and ungodly powerful, upright sitting comfortable bike.  Love it...

It is the Ferrari of motorcycles where my Motus is the Hellcat...

• Like 2
On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:21 PM, Wild Bill said:

where my Motus is the Hellcat...

Tough market to live in but quite a shock when the plug was pulled so abruptly (outside looking in anyway) on the brand. What's the future parts & service plans & demands look like with the M?

• 3 weeks later...

We have a pretty tight online community. A couple of dealers have stepped up to fill in the required gaps.  A detailed maintenance  manual has been made available. A clearing house has taken over the parts distribution.  Most major parts  olins, sargent, BST, etc still supply our needs. Not much maintenance ever needed on these bikes.  Frame parts, heads, etc are available. Lots of info sharing among owners..

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I too own an S1000XR and love it.  I was at the BMW dealer ready to buy either the K1600 or the R1250RT.  They just happen to have an S1000XR with the low suspension option and it felt great for my height (5'9").  Anyway we went out for three test rides, the last being the S1000XR and I was sold. This machine is awesome and the so called vibration was nothing to me(already had the vibration kit).  I felt it was smother than the R12050RT and way faster and more spirited.  I know this is unpopular here but that boxer engine just doesn't sound smooth to me.

The K1600 was not as awesome as I heard that engine was and not much faster than the HD the dealer guy had to go with me.  The S1000XR was just a great fit for me and I'm ready to tour with it.

Mods:

• Akrapovic titanium/carbon fiber slip-on
  • Crash bars with highway pegs
  • Side cases (match the bike)
  • Trunk (match the bike)
  • Touring and racing windscreens
  • Handlebar risers
  • Semi auto chain oiler
  • Ram mount
  • Givi Tank Bag
  • BMW HP seat
  • Costume red front fender (stock is black)

IMG_2223.JPG

On 1/8/2019 at 7:41 PM, chrisolson said:

Most anyone who rides is welcome, regardless !! Although I have had many BMW's and still ride a 99 R1100S, my current touring bike is similar in orientation ... 2003 Yamaha FZ1

fz1_9.jpg

Enjoy the site and attend some events to meet some of the great folks who are here.

I too had this bike my FZ1 was a 2001 with the optional lower cowling option.  Still one of my favorite bikes.

Deals Gap 2.jpg

fz1.jpg

Another so close purchase for me was the FZ1. I still have the pinup in my work locker. :grin: Nice looking XR you have up there. Now, that must of been one tricked out HD to seem almost as fast as the K1600. :dontknow:

22 minutes ago, Ydo said:

On my test rides we did a little highway and there the K1600 pulled away but in side road riding there was not a huge difference.

Morning Ydo

How many miles were on that test-ride bike, if first service wasn't done yet then it was probably still in the factory power limiting/RPM limiting  calibration. 

2 hours ago, Ydo said:

Your probably right.  No HD can out accelerate a 165 hp 6 for sure.

Well with a little wrenching, I bet there's one or two out there! :grin:

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

As I was researching the XR, the only issue I ran into is, if your a big rider (not tall).  Stock suspension is great, but seems (user forum discussions) to be limited to around a 215lb rider.  Once  you get a rider above 225lbs the bike really loses it's handling.  Now I have not ridden one long enough to really test the suspension fully, but it my short test rides I do seem to over ride the suspension and I can feel the rear suspension bottoming out.  Same problem I have with my S1000r.  the S1kr is a Great bike but as soon as the road gets tight or even slightly rough, the suspension starts bottoming out, and it really becomes unstable.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Way late to the party, but I love my XR.  That thing is fast and more comfortable than my RT.  

It does eat tires, but that's just a result of having so much power on tap and me having less restraint than I should.

If you like the XR and want something small for around town, try an FZ-09.  It's basically a junior version of the XR.  Great power to weight ratio and excellent seating position!  oh, and about 100 lbs lighter!

Hour10_#03869_Sat.Mar.30.19-(ZF-6830-10508-1-001).jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2021 at 6:42 AM, Viking59 said:

Here's my Brentuned beast.....

What year is that  XR.  I like the color scheme

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been riding shaft drive since the late 70s so I have a chain maintenance question. In November I moved from my RT to a 2022 F900XR.  I'm curious about chain maintenance on a multi-day trip.   On a long trip do you take stuff to clean the chain along the way or just chain lube?  If just lube, do you give it a shot every few days?  Thanks for any advice.

On 4/25/2022 at 4:35 PM, walton66 said:

I've been riding shaft drive since the late 70s so I have a chain maintenance question. In November I moved from my RT to a 2022 F900XR.  I'm curious about chain maintenance on a multi-day trip.   On a long trip do you take stuff to clean the chain along the way or just chain lube?  If just lube, do you give it a shot every few days?  Thanks for any advice.

Afternoon walton66

Your are probably going to get a number of different opinions on this.

I typically don't ride a street (high speed) chain bike much farther than a day out & a day back so I typically don't do any chain maintenance until I get back home. Exception is if I encounter heavy rain that works dirty water into the hot chain.

My personal opinion is that on the newer (sealed) long-life chains I don't really use a dedicated chain lube. My chain maintenance is just a good cleaning with WD-40, then allow to dry, then a good coating of Dupont spray Teflon lubricant.  That Dupont spray Teflon lubricant dries to a semi-dry coating that doesn't attract dirt & grit. 

My chain life is usually longer than other riders in my group that use a dedicated  (messy) chain lube often.  

I do have a friend that predominately rides a high power chain bike & he swears by an automatic chain oiler (automatically drops a little oil on the chain as he rides),  he does seem to have a decent chain life. Especially as he does a lot of very high speed long distance riding. 

With a sealed chain (lubrication permanently sealed in) with the roller area sealed with "O" rings or "X" rings), to me it is more about keeping the chain to sprocket teeth interface clean than to keep them lubricated.

Added: on bikes that I can, I flip the sprockets over every couple of thousand miles so they evenly wear the teeth on the other side. I also try to use odd numbered sprockets 11/13/15 etc,   27/29/31 etc as that prevents the chain from tracking the same rollers on the same sprocket teeth time, after time, after time.

• 1 year later...
TheShat6392

I love my XR as well.  I'll be riding it to the rally this year.  

I just finished a post on the 18,000 mile service which I did myself.  A huge job, but I had a ton of fun and the bike runs great.  

Cheers,

Nathan