IGNORED

RE: Intl Motorcycle Show

Skywagon

http://www.motorcycleshows.com/city/dallas-tx-1

I've attended this show for a few years. I went Saturday with a couple of friends. The show participation by vendors was substantially down. Absent was Ducati, Yamaha, and many of the equipment vendors. I intended to come home with a new helmet and new boots. I came home empty handed due to lack of choices. The stunt show was gone tool I talked to a person under the Yamaha tent which had one bike there and asked why they weren't there....answer....it's either MotoGP or shows, but budget for both is too much.

I've been to MotoGP every year it's been here. There is an amazing amount to see with vendors and manufacturers. Guess I will wait to April.

The show was crowded. There wasn't a lack of attendance that we could see.

It seems like it gets smaller and smaller every year. But when it hit Long Beach, CA the specific vendors you mentioned as missing were here. I wonder if they're not going to all the show locations and just cherry picking which ones to go to.

RandyShields

Couple of good articles recently in the riding mags identifying and lamenting this phenomenon -- one by Fred Rau that is very good. In addition to budget constraints, they also identify the impact of online sales that have cannabalized the economics of traveling and paying for space at these shows.

Automobile shows are headed the same way. Similar to magazines. No "big" surprises to be found at them, internet is ahead of all that. I remember cars in showrooms with covers over them. Couldn't show them until September 1st! Those days are gone.

Automobile shows are headed the same way. Similar to magazines. No "big" surprises to be found at them, internet is ahead of all that. I remember cars in showrooms with covers over them. Couldn't show them until September 1st! Those days are gone.

I remember entire showrooms blanked out with paper on the windows!

Yes ... very sad to see another concept (the trade show) slowly pass. I suspect the large vendor areas at bigger rallies will see the same decline. I know Americade Vendor Expo has declined and at the MOA national a few large vendors were not there. Wunderlich was absent for sure! Sad!

And yes I recall riding out bikes down to the Chevy dealer and going around back to see the new models in the early 60's. And then watching Bonanza to see the intro ads. Some great times for sure!

An example of how much has changed: my mom was in the advertising business, and brought home from a trip to New York the official catalog from the 1960 New York International Auto Show, which I still have. It's about an inch thick, and in addition to a number of interesting articles and lots of car ads, it includes a photo and specifications of every single car you could buy in the US in 1960! I never went to New York, but I think that sort of thing was already long gone by the time I was old enough to go to auto shows myself.