IGNORED

Are BMW Cars as Nice the Bikes?

BigTup

Terry, I heartily recommend anyone ordering a BMW to take delivery at the BMW Delivery Center in Greenville SC. They pick you up at the airport, provide lodging and then in the morning carry you to the center for demos, road course instruction in a model similar to what you've ordered, off road course in one of the X vehicles, factory tour and a very in depth introduction to your car, which is immaculately prepared and sitting inside one of the individual showrooms. It's amazing....have done that, driving schools and motorcycle off road course there at the center and they have all been fantastic. California has a similar delivery experience. Periodically BMW has drive events (I've attended one at the Atlanta Speedway and Santa Ana CA and you get some quick autocross seat time (with competition within your group), unlimited driving with any of the models showcased there (M240 being my favorite) and vouchers for 1K off on a purchase, which combined with BMWCCA rebate and other discounts/incentives can be substantial.

Alas, but I'll add that no way I want a newer BMW without warranty, but something like a E30 325is is nirvana. IMHO the E30 M3 is the best looking car ever produced. Fortunate enough to have had two of them but when prices skyrocketed I cashed in, too many hobbies and they just sat there most of the time.

Just remember, the BMW cars and BMW bikes are likely to mirror each other in tech and design, along with engineering. I assumed this thread was skewed toward new or very recent models. Maybe not. But it appears that the BMW cars are certainly more reliable than they were a decade ago and easier to live with on other levels. Which in my opinion pretty much mirrors the bikes they make.

I am aware of the Delivery Centers! They wanted to do something similar for us when we ordered the Jaguar F-type in 2015. On the X3 purchase we were looking for a fairly quick purchase. Had enough of the Jaguar, wanted out of it. So we bought an in stock X3 that was almost exactly what we would have ordered anyway. I would think the Delivery Center would be an epic experience!

I think Tesla has the only built-in car GPS that's worth a damn, both from a UI perspective and because it's a connected car, so the maps are always up to date. To be fair, though, I've only spent some time playing with it in the showroom, not actually using it on the road. But every other car I've actually used one in (Toyota, Ford, Chevy, Mini, BMW) has pretty much sucked from the moment I started trying to enter a destination. I just Waze or Google Maps on my phone.

Big T...If she read all the post about BMW bikes final drives, fuel strips, shafts, etc you would never own a BMW bike....However as many have pointed out some of us think they make really good cars. I suspect no matter what she zero's in on if you google issues with it you will find enough bad stuff she will end up buying a horse.

Big T...If she read all the post about BMW bikes final drives, fuel strips, shafts, etc you would never own a BMW bike....However as many have pointed out some of us think they make really good cars. I suspect no matter what she zero's in on if you google issues with it you will find enough bad stuff she will end up buying a horse.

Well it's her choice, and she is going to give them a try. I'm not pushing because it will be her ride. Yes I read about the problems the bikes can have, guess I'm lucky both RT's have been great.

Just remember, the BMW cars and BMW bikes are likely to mirror each other in tech and design, along with engineering. I assumed this thread was skewed toward new or very recent models. Maybe not. But it appears that the BMW cars are certainly more reliable than they were a decade ago and easier to live with on other levels. Which in my opinion pretty much mirrors the bikes they make.

That can be said of most high end German cars and though BMW targets a younger demographic with a sportier driving experience across the board, as far as longevity, quality, safety, and customer satisfaction I'd pick an MB 9 times out of 10.* But, either brands' newer models will have huge depreciation and once out of warranty exorbitant repair costs (the main reason why they depreciate so fast, people dump them in droves) and like I mentioned above are becoming more and more proprietary, most or all independents can no longer work on them. The labor rate at the local MB dealer went to $149/hr here when it recently changed hands and I've heard of west coast BMW dealers charging $220./hr. so I guess it comes down to what your priorities are.

* I'm probably biased but have had nothing but high end German cars since the 70's, including a lot of BMW's.

• Like 1

4 wheels or 2 they just go around and around and it doesn't matter if they are made in der fatherland or wherever all they do is go around and around. Me, I'm too old to get excited about rolling stock. Ride or drive what you want and I bet it will all go great from point A to point B or wherever.

That said I still get a thrill when I romp on that 5.0L '11 Mustang throttle and listen to those Borla pipes sound off. :) Bet that sound alone tops yer bimmer.

James, I probably have more history with Mustangs than you might imagine. Truly a passion. The new ones are incredible cars. I hope to have a new Mustang drivetrain in my 1965 GT in the not too distant future.

But, as always, there surprises for everyone. Just when you think you are the fastest, or the quickest, someone surprises you.

I might suggest watching out for certain other cars. One might be the V8 BMW's. Especially when comparing sound. Factory 8000+ redline. Pretty sweet cars!

Edited by realshelby
4 wheels or 2 they just go around and around and it doesn't matter if they are made in der fatherland or wherever all they do is go around and around. Me, I'm too old to get excited about rolling stock. Ride or drive what you want and I bet it will all go great from point A to point B or wherever.

That said I still get a thrill when I romp on that 5.0L '11 Mustang throttle and listen to those Borla pipes sound off. :) Bet that sound alone tops yer bimmer.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Not quite.

When I took my Bimmer (pictured above, it is the arrest me orange one) to the 50th anniversary Corvette traveling exhibit,

there was a long line.

So, I parked over there.

Got out and walked a bit. Was a huge Chevy dealer and I began to circle around towards the exhibit.

Lo and behold, here it was about 15 minutes after parking,

and there was a rather large crowd,

around my Bimmer.

"oooo" "ahh" "what is it" I've never seen one of those"

So, noticing there wasn't any longer a long line and crowd, I went to the Corvette exhibit.

:thumbsup:

Love 'Vettes.

After enjoying the exhibit I returned to my Bimmer.

Which still had a large crowd.

I asked if anyone remembered the Calder BMW Art Cars?

3.0CSL_calder_8.jpg

Needless to say, I appreciate the "sound" of a good vehicle.

But, no.

Nope, a newish Mustang may be fun for you (I don't fit in them).

Enjoy.

:)

But, never, never, never, ever, think that sound sur;passes the beauty, elegance, performance of a classic Bimmer.

Best wishes.

:Cool:

• Like 1

If you want sound, just sit at the end of the quarter mile when 2 top fuel dragsters come past at full throttle at over 300 mph ... vibrates your innards :thumbsup:

• Like 1
4 wheels or 2 they just go around and around and it doesn't matter if they are made in der fatherland or wherever all they do is go around and around.

In deference to the newer stuff which is significantly quicker here's some footage of a couple vintage DTM cars (German Touring Cars which unlike NASCAR tube-frame funny cars are the actual car with some modifications.

Can't find the post but the BMW M4 costs considerably more than did my '11 Mustang GT/CS and by considerable what are we talking here, maybe $30K?  The difference in HP is about maybe 13 and torque is 19 ft-lbs.  Now the M4 3.0L inline 6  also has a turbo as opposed to my 412 HP NATURALLY ASPIRATED 5.0L Mustang.

Now, no doubt the M4 will out corner a solid axle Ford Mustang but jeez for that cost difference I would expect the M4 to do something a bit better.  So, if going around a curve is worth the price difference to you be my guest and that's assuming you are a good enough driver to really take that M4 through that curve.  Oh, and then we have BMWs somewhat dubious reputation for reliability and cost of maintenance.  I say enjoy your M4 but I'll take a pass thank you.:classic_wink:

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2019 at 6:05 AM, realshelby said:

One thing I didn't mention was that on test drives we would try to figure out ......stuff. Like how to work the gps, radio, menus of other things.

WOW! Some cars would need a 3 day training course! While all new cars, if you are not familiar with the brand, will have a learning curve you will find some are simply more intuitive than others. The BMW systems were found to be easy to learn, my wife actually thinks that is a major reason to recommend the BMW to friends. Even the voice commands work. Just tell it the address. First time usually. Don't ask about Jaguar systems.......

To your point, I just picked up a 2019 Ford F 150...the owners manual has over 600 pages!

5 hours ago, powwow said:

To your point, I just picked up a 2019 Ford F 150...the owners manual has over 600 pages!

Speaking of manuals, the manual for my 2015 BMW i3 REx was by far the worst owner's manual I've ever had.  It is, of course, a complex car, but I'm an engineer and inveterate reader of manuals and books, and the editor that approved that manual should be taken out and shot.  Every section of the manual had this little subsection called "The Concept", under which was usually a vague, useless overview of what the thing they were about to talk about does.  Trying to actually find the information you need is very difficult.

• Haha 1

Here in the UK, & across much of Europe, BMW are a big player in the police car market. Indeed in the UK the X5 & the 3- & 5-series pretty much have the Traffic Patrol market wrapped up. Some of them do a lot of miles in not a lot of time, 60 to 80,000 per annum not being unusual, & the cars not only do the job, but satisfy the accountants that they are cost-effective. I do have fond memories however of taking a 2006 Mercedes E-Class to workshops for disposal at some 230,000 miles & it still drove well. Here's a Gloucestershire X5.  1050844117_GlosX5.thumb.jpg.aa4718d73afcf7225e8d5cfdc526d9db.jpg

On 1/5/2019 at 6:01 PM, Ponch said:

BMWs are more expensive to own over the long haul. I would never buy their cars. Lease if you must and if you keep your cars a long time, get a Lexus.

I guess it depends on what you call the long haul. I had a a 1971 BMW Model 2002. I bought it for $4000 in 1978 and sold it for $4000 in 2007. It was a great car. It had about 250,000 miles on it when I sold it. After my kids were grown it was mostly used for trips to Home Depot for carrying things that didn't fit easily on a motorcycle. The bike was used all the rest of the time.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Green RT said:

I guess it depends on what you call the long haul. I had a a 1971 BMW Model 2002. I bought it for $4000 in 1978 and sold it for $4000 in 2007. It was a great car. It had about 250,000 miles on it when I sold it. After my kids were grown it was mostly used for trips to Home Depot for carrying things that didn't fit easily on a motorcycle. The bike was used all the rest of the time.

Trust me, it's a far cry from the BMW cars of today. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Ponch said:

Trust me, it's a far cry from the BMW cars of today. 

That's probably what someone in 1971 said about the 2002.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Ponch said:

Do your research. 

Again, some old timer, in 1971, likely comparing BMW cars from 1952 saying that they were a far cry from the cars of today (1971).   You can't honestly go back to 1971 and say "Oh, this brand new BMW 2002 will last forever with top notch quality that will devour the cars that they will build in 2019".

"Modern" cars are "never" "built like they used to".

It is humor,.....if you didn't catch it.

8 hours ago, Living the Dream said:

Again, some old timer, in 1971, likely comparing BMW cars from 1952 saying that they were a far cry from the cars of today (1971).   You can't honestly go back to 1971 and say "Oh, this brand new BMW 2002 will last forever with top notch quality that will devour the cars that they will build in 2019".

"Modern" cars are "never" "built like they used to".

It is humor,.....if you didn't catch it.

My head can be like ebony. 

We've had a dozen BMW's since 1971, mostly 3's and 5's and a few bikes. To OP I would advise asking yourself what the car's primary function will be and how much the sheer enjoyment of driving matters to you.  If you just need a grocery-getter, buy an electric; if you like to enjoy the open road and spend some time at extra-legal speeds, buy a BMW. Don't get a base model, but you don't need to go to the top of the line either. Our current one is a 535i with the N55 engine and ZF 8-speed tranny. It gets 34mpg at the speed limit here in VA and carries 4 people in absolute comfort, and yes it is a joy to drive.  As with the bikes, don't skimp on maintenance and you will be rewarded. Oddly enough, buying used has proven to be a much better value than buying new.

NoKick90, former BMWCCA instructor at Summit Point and Road Atlanta

2002, 535iS, M3, 325iS, 535i, 330i Sport, 325iX, 530i, 530iX, R69S, R90S - gone but not forgotten