IGNORED

Are BMW Cars as Nice the Bikes?

BigTup

We need a new used car for my wife. She has a Mercedes now (poor her), and I will likely take it over when she decides on her new ride. I suggested that she consider a BMW car because I am so happy with my 2016 RT. Are the cars as well designed as the bikes? And any model recommendations would be appreciated.

My experience may be a little out of date. I had a '98 540i, my wife had a 2000 328i, and then I had an '08 Mini Cooper (a BMW product) and a '15 i3 (leased). Like the newer bikes, they are great to drive, but complex. Since you already have a Mercedes, you probably already know that expensive cars are expensive to maintain. With the 540 and 328, I found they were mostly quite good up to about 60K miles (although the 540 needed a new radiator at 44K!), at which point things started going wrong, and every visit to the dealer cost $1500. When the coolant expansion tank on the 328 cracked, I replaced it myself, but the level of disassembly needed just to get to it put me off doing any further work myself.

I kinda think the ideal thing is to lease them. On a three-year lease, you'll be under warranty and have free maintenance the whole time you have the car. I never had a problem with the i3, but I only put 30K on it.

BMWs are more expensive to own over the long haul. I would never buy their cars. Lease if you must and if you keep your cars a long time, get a Lexus.

Everything the previous posters mentioned is true. They are complicated and expensive to maintain, especially after warranty. However, they are incredible to drive. Especially if you like to drive aggressively. "the ultimate driving machine"

Sounds just like their bikes doesn't it?

First

All newer cars are now complicated, even the Fords and GMs.

The time of simple cars are over, unless you specifically choose to drive a bare bone low value vehicle. From my understanding, most Mercedes and BMWs are now manufactured in your own country.

In the next couple of years I am looking of adding a BMW X3 to our fleet as a 2nd car.....guess what...it's build in America.

BMW and Mercedes parts and service will always be more expensive then your "KIA". That's a given.

The only reasonable suggestion I can make is: check out the Web for reports of the specific car you are looking at...any major known problems??? Test Drive the car !!!!!!!!

Still want it?? Go and get it.

You will always get the responses of Buy a Lexus..Buy a Ford..Buy a GM....Buy a Toyota.....they don't help.

It would help to know which model / year Mercedes she now has ... wives are generally loath to downgrade :Cool:

Having owned two 5 series , one 7 , and three Z 's, I can echo most comments on maintenance after the new warranty expires.

And yet they remain the most rewarding cars to drive in any mode ... day to day or challenging twisty mountain road.

It would help to know which model / year Mercedes she now has ... wives are generally loath to downgrade :Cool:

Having owned two 5 series , one 7 , and three Z 's, I can echo most comments on maintenance after the new warranty expires.

And yet they remain the most rewarding cars to drive in any mode ... day to day or challenging twisty mountain road.

Agree -- we need more info on what type of car/suv your wife wants.

I've owned several BMWs that I've enjoyed a lot. Great fun to drive and were definitely more reliable than the many crappy VWs I've owned. I now have a '14 535xi and an '04 325ci convertible. Love 'em both. Consumer Reports says late model 2-series and 5-series are quite reliable, but not the SUVs. Stay away from their 4 cylinders, get only a six. If you want total reliability get a Subaru or a Lexus -- but they'll never drive like BMWs.

Wife has an '04 Acura TL V6 manual trans that she'll never part with -- too bad it's had every major component fail on her. She bought it used in 2011 with a SEVEN YEAR extended warranty that finally expired last year. It has about 100k mi on it now, which is very low for a 14 year old car. Repair payouts by that warranty totaled over $8600, with zero deductibles. Stay away from Acura.

We've owned 3 cars, never their SUV. We've had a 3 series and 2 5 series.. We ran the 3 series to 160,000 miles. They only issue we had was the air conditioner. The two 5 series we ran to about 100k. No issues. The wife decided she wanted an SUV. I tried to get here to buy the 5 series BMW SUV....she drove it, said it was too stiff and too manly. She drove and bought a Lexus RX350. I don't like it, she loves it. It's very loud. Typical front wheel drive as pulls funny when accelerating hard especially in a curve. Two of the struts have leaked oil and had to be replaced. The interior even though top of the line leather, is cheap to me. Our blue jeans (nothing fancy just plain old levi's) have discolored the seats and we could not get it off. The Lexus answer was a seat cover.... I suspect the car will be maintenance free for many years and many many miles...…...but honestly, it feels like the Toyota it is...

Edited by Skywagon

BMW cars are fun to drive?? What am I missing here? Now, my '11 Mustang GT/CS with the 5.0 is fun to drive and a bunch cheaper than a BMW. Now a BMW sedan will out handle the 'Stang in a corner but that's about all.

My Mustang is way out of warranty but that's OK since it isn't a BMW. Just sayin'.

Henry Ford once considered building motorcycles but decided against it. Would have been interesting if he would have pursued it.

A Lexus? Save your money and just buy a Toyota.

Edited by JamesW
BMW cars are fun to drive?? What am I missing here? Now, my '11 Mustang GT/CS with the 5.0 is fun to drive and a bunch cheaper than a BMW. Now a BMW sedan will out handle the 'Stang in a corner but that's about all.

My Mustang is way out of warranty but that's OK since it isn't a BMW. Just sayin'.

Henry Ford once considered building motorcycles but decided against it. Would have been interesting if he would have pursued it.

A Lexus? Save your money and just buy a Toyota.

You're missing an M4 if you like straight-line AND cornering. :)

425HP 0-60 3.8s

For a bit less, the M240i is no slouch but only 365HP.

For that matter, my son-in-law has a scary-fast Tesla...

Have had eight different BMW's and agree with most of what has been said. Certified used can be a good buy since you'll have warranty coverage. New gets warranty plus service is included but either way if steep depreciation scares you then shy away. On the other hand BMWCCA has chapters everywhere and signing up for track events (extra wheels and dedicated track tires recommended) is about as much fun as you can possibly handle. If cost of ownership is important it's hard to overlook some domestic and foreign brands since the current trend is toward offering longer warranties and a GTI or Focus ST can offer a competent driver that offers spirited performance.

Want a riot to drive? M2 is your baby....

We spent about two months researching a smaller SUV. Drove a Mazda 9, Audi Q5, Mercedes GL 350, Volvo XC60, Lexus 400(?), Explorer, Acura RDX, BMW X3. Maybe another or two. I have a good friend that is high up in a BMW franchise. In his words BMW has pulled their head out of their ass and went back to making sure stuff works. Got away from that for a while, and dependability suffered. Sounds familiar! That, along with the experience I have had with the new RT, made me think that a BMW might be worth trying. It was one of the last we actually drove.

Head and shoulders above all the others in this class. The Audi has a powerful engine but lacked a high end feel inside. Most all of these road firm to harsh, and most had what I consider excessive road noise. Some just felt like what they were, front wheel drive sedans.

The X3 is full time all wheel drive. I like that in the heavy rains we get here. 4 cylinder turbo engine, about 258 hp. Feels like a lot more down low. Not too much on the top end, but enough. Drives very well and corners VERY well. But one big selling point is the fit and finish everywhere. Interior is so much nicer than most of the others. I even bought a Consumer Reports membership to check them out. They are top rated there. BTW, she gets 28 mpg driving to work in Houston traffic. Gets 31 mpg at 70 mph. So far the car has been flawless. Raising the hood, I can get to everything easily, unlike some cars. I suspect we will keep this for a while. Perfect size and she likes the high end features it has.

I drive a Jeep Wrangler Recon, so what do I know about "nice" cars!!!

Just for the record, I have owned a number of BMW autos... 3 different 7 series, several 5 series, several 3's, even 3- 2002's (models- not years), and the 6 series was the coolest of the pack. I loved them all. As for reliability- none of them ever failed me. All of them required maintenance. I do not think of it as extraordinary but I did think of it as necessary.

If you want a "drive it and forget it" type of car I think a BMW is not your best choice. Same for the motorcycles. Same for our Lexus.

All cars are mechanical devices. Some are more reliable than others and most of that depends on how they are driven and mostly how they are maintained. In- the overall sense- the BMW's have a bit of a stigma since they do like regular and prescribed maintenance- generally spelled with a $.

As I said in the beginning... for the record- was an active member of the BMW CCA... BMW Car Club of America for may years- measured in decades, so I may have a bit of a bias- but the fact is we now drive Lexus and Mercedes.

"Your actual mileage may vary"...

Edited by hopz

I started with a 545i, got rid of that for an X3 and eventually had an X5. All BMW X4, 5, 6 and 7 are built in the States. While the driving of each vehicle was good, it was the after warranty maintenance/repair costs that are at issue. Can I afford it, yes, do I want to, no. During the ownership of the X5, the wife let's me know that she needs her truck back,....so now we have a 2018 Sierra for her daily driver. Would I get another BMW/German car,.....likely not. Not enough non-dealership repair places that bring the costs of maintenance/repair down to an acceptable level.

My sister has an X5 and it's number two for her. So, I guess she felt good about repurchasing a Bim.

My only experience with the brand is on two wheels. I know you didn't ask... :/

1994 R1100RSL

1997 F650

2003 R1150RT

2005 R1200GS

2005 R1200RT

2007 G650X

2012 K1600GT

2012 R1200GS *

2014 R1200RTW *

Pat

How about a Tesla? In my experience, women hate going to the gas station. With a Tesla, she'll never have to. Just plug it in at home.

That would have been ironic, since it was his Model T that put many motorcycle manufacturers out of business.

Not a lot of BMW car experience here but put 160k on a '11 diesel and loved it. Traded it for a CPO '15 335ix with 12k miles recently. It has a 2-year warranty.

BMW has gone a long way to screw up the car. The 335d had a bullet-proof, 6-speed trans. Shifts were imperceptible. The 335's 8-speed, used to raise BMW's average fleet mileage sucks. It's like pulling a hay wagon, clunking between each shift. I drove a number of 8-9 speed samples in other brands and experienced the same thing.

The stop/start is a PITA. Can't imagine saved fuel will offset wear/tear on starter gear. No way to turn it off permanently w/o doing damage that voids warranty.

Can't believe econ mode saves any $ as the major feature feels like it just upshifts sooner than comfort or sport modes and charges, using a clutch on the alternator (more complication)...

I've driven only manual trans cars my whole life -- my 535xi is my first automatic (still have the stick 325 for fun) -- and I think BMW's 8-speed auto with N55 motor is a fantastic drive, the best automatic trans made IMO. Tap it into Sport mode and the whooshhhh is great, with nearly imperceptible shifts all the way to terminal velocity. Except for the motor sound and watching the tach I almost can't feel the shifts. It grabs and releases the motor's sweet power spot every shift incredibly smoothly. Mine's never clunked ever.

I agree auto stop is annoying and can't be good for the car, but I never drive in Eco Mode, which always turns on auto stop, only in Comfort or Sport mode. I haven't had auto stop on in months and haven't had to touch its button. A dealer can set auto stop to remain in whatever "last used" mode it was in (unless you switch to Eco Mode), no damage or effect on warranty. But I used the MyCarly app to code the car to always set auto stop to off by default, no damage and no effect on warranty. MyCarly can do a lot of other fun coding and diagnostics, too.

I've been a BMW CCA member for 15 years -- it's given me thousands of $ in car/motorcycle purchase rebates and Roundel magazine is great.

In reading this thread I've concluded that most of you guys just don't mind shelling out HUGE sums of money just to get from point A to point B and on top of that fool yourselves into thinking you got what you payed for? Interesting, no?

I'm done.

I have a 2013 335i sport line with the N55 engine, 8 speed sport automatic transmission, and sport suspension. No issues whatsoever and the car is a lot of fun with great handling when driven agressively. I was hesitant about the 8 speed automatic transmission, but it has turned out to be the smoothest, best automatic transmission I have ever owned. On interstates driving about 75-80 mph it still gets 34-35mpg.

I can't believe that the same people that will ride all day and night on a BMW bike wouln't think the cars are equally as nice.

They are.

I have a 2004 325xi I bought new. It has 139K on it now. It's a little long in the tooth but I've kept up most of the maintenance. I just swapped out the headlights for some Chinese replacements that are clearer. Drove it 1200 miles over 2 days this past week. Up next is a suspension refresh....all the bushings need some love as it's got a bad alignment now and is eating up the old tires.

I'm not selling it very well, huh?

BUT, I did that same drive in my 2013 Tundra....nice truck but it's a dog and Drinks gas. In the car, I got about 29 mpg over the whole trip. Auto trans, AWD. 445 miles on one tank. The truck? 16 mpg (tires were lower than they should have been).

Great cars.

I supposed I could think of it as fooling myself just as I could by not living in a pup tent versus the house my wife and I had built we plan to live the rest of our life in....maybe even bivouac. All in fun :)

Perhaps Marty can attest to the Porsche Delivery Center in Atlanta but even with some reservations about having any vehicle costing so much I will say that if you order a BMW and take Performance Center Delivery (or better yet delivery in Munich) you will absolutely love it because you'll learn what the car is actually capable of. 6 of my 8 BMW's have been M cars and I'm constantly plotting, conniving or fantasizing about ordering a M2.

Yea James, pretty lame to get us spun up on fun cars and then sign off.

fourteenfour

inside their warranty period any BMW is fine, good to buy a CPO which extends the warranty period. I had a 2012 Z4 which I really liked but when the top started to develop a shimmy and outside of warranty it wasn't worth the fix cost and possible cascading things to fix afterward. CPO is the way to save money and get a good warranty. Someone mentioned Ford, has a 2013 Mustang. They don't stand behind their product.

James really loves to be a spoiler. Kind of sad.

What's sad is that we're all fooling ourselves shelling out HUGE sums on a BMW bike (or an FJR) to get from point A to point B!

Even sadder is when I go on a 200 mi day ride to get from point A to point A. :)

Easy to get off tangent on threads like this. Hard to set aside personal opinions. Those that are given WITHOUT actually owning the vehicle in question are worthless. Just like with the bikes, there are many preconceived notions about BMW cars and their maintenance cost and reliability. There was a time they deserved that moniker. Just like the Oilheads did for instance.

Do your homework when buying any vehicle. Decide on new or used. Decide on buying an extended service plan. I have years of automobile dealership experience. I cringe when I hear talk of "CPO" and extended warranties.

I have years of automobile dealership experience. I cringe when I hear talk of "CPO" and extended warranties.

I have years of automobile dealership experience also (a long time ago!). I'm happily on my third BMW CPO car -- I'd never buy new. I'm curious what about BMW CPO makes you cringe?

I owned an 85 318I and by far, once it arrived at its fourth year, it was the single most expensive car I ever owned. The maintenance was non-stop and repairs. After my last $1800 bill at 95,000 I was done. Knew every mechanic in town, they knew me and all about my family. Did a crazy and bought a Lincoln, never knew another shop owner, had oil and filter changed tires rotated and was done with expensive bills. Drove it for 125,000 miles! Granted it wasn't as much fun, but fun has a cost and at the time I lived in Florida, straight flat roads and traffic. How much fun could I have stop light to stop light and on route 75? Have driven a Lexus over the last 15 years, just like the Lincoln. No repairs.

I have years of automobile dealership experience. I cringe when I hear talk of "CPO" and extended warranties.

I have years of automobile dealership experience also (a long time ago!). I'm happily on my third BMW CPO car -- I'd never buy new. I'm curious what about BMW CPO makes you cringe?

CPO or "certified pre-owned" are simply used cars. There is NOTHING about them to command a selling price often thousands of dollars more than the same used car without the CPO tag.

Manufacturers push them. Very hard! There are substantial bonuses to dealerships that sell them in higher volumes. Why? Simple, every cpo vehicle that sells goes into the systems that report selling price. These "inflated" purchase prices can effect the Lease residual values, reported resale values substantially! This makes these vehicles look like a better car to the buying pubic researching NEW cars. Resale values were killing domestic manufacturers for years. This was a way to turn that around. Then they found the benefits growing and it is common among all brands. Another reason Dealerships like cpo is it is a way to lower competition with regular used car outlets. Lease return/rental cars often make it into cpo, these can be bought at auctions by used car dealers. But these non-affiliated used car dealers cannot offer cpo cars as they are not new car dealers. Thus, the cpo car is NOT competing with these used car lots.

CPO vehicles get a special inspection process! Well, not so much more than any really good dealer is going to give to any good trade-in vehicle. There are some things they might have to do, such as replace tires that are more than half worn. No chips in windshields. No obvious body damage like scratches or scrapes. Meant to look as close to new as possible. You are provided with an extended service plan as part of the package. The only REAL benefit compared to an identical "used car" would be the lower than market financing most manufacturers provide. Since most CPO's are only a few years old, they don't need much in the way of work. Cars just don't anymore.

You can buy an extended warranty for a lot less if you want one on your used car purchase. You can buy new tires if it makes you feel good. Dealers have promoted the image of cpo vehicles being all but new. Buyers like to announce they bought a cpo, not a "used car"! All part of the way the package is intended to work.

Bottom line is you can sometimes save thousands buying the same vehicle without the CPO brand, and expect just as good of service and resale out of it.

That said, just like with any purchase, if you are happy with it that means more than anything!

Most CPOs are lease returns that have been well cared-for (there are big deductions for "imperfect" returns). Lease returns that are sent to auction are often high-mileage or otherwise not clean, weird colors, etc. CPO prices are negotiable like any other used car. CPO incentives like .9% financing, plus big rebates, plus 2 additional years/100k mi factory warranty aren't available on non-CPO. "You can buy an extended warranty for a lot less if you want one on your used car purchase." A lot less? I checked; not on a BMW.

Every used car is unique -- especially BMW since each car is optioned so differently -- so it's hard to generalize that one can "save thousands buying the same vehicle." So you analyze the market for a 3-year-old model, the particular cars available, options, colors, rebates, mileage, financing, etc. and make a choice: used from Joe's A-1 Used Auction Cars or CPO. Bottom line is I "announce" that I chose CPO every time I was in the market, like many other CPO-gullible dopes.

Well, we will just have to disagree on warranties, and pricing. I did not mean to offend you or anyone with my statements about CPO buyers.

My current facts are based on talking with my close personal friend. We talk a lot about old times in the car business. He stayed in it. He is the "Pre-Owned Director" at at dealership group with GMC, Buick, Mercedes, and BMW new cars and soon to open a separate used car facility. Over everything to due with appraising trades to cpo's to buying and selling at auction and all marketing. What many people don't get is the amount a dealership pays BMW to put a car into the cpo program, on top of the money spent on inspections and meeting requirements for appearance and repairs.

I would also state that while a dealership may buy a lease return when it is processed through that dealer, most prefer to cpo regular customer owned trade in units. Lease vehicles are often bought at the auction for substantially less than the manufacturer wants for them at lease termination. I spent a good bit of time checking in lease returns where I last worked. Days of them coming back with cracked windows, paint needing work, stains on seats, bald tires were over even then. In the 90's and early 2000's you could get away with about anything in a lease return! Customer lease returns are on average a lot better cared for than rental agency units. And today most rental agency cars have quite a few miles, where 20 years ago under 15,000 miles was common.

No offense taken - nothing personal. Didn't intend to make you cringe mentioning CPO. :)

I was new car sales manager at a VW-only dealership in the 80s -- a different era, a different market and no such animal as CPO -- but yes I appraised trades and chose cars for the used car lot vs calling in the auction buyer. "Dealer-financing" (with loan life insurance!) back in the day definitely was cringe-worthy. Maybe one in a hundred VWs were leased, through a third-party leasing company, so lease returns were rare and the leasing company actually had to shop his returns around to dealers.

Of course CPO is a marketing gimmick and a moneymaker for BMW corporate, but shopping carefully and knowing what you're looking for can result in a CPO "package" definitely being the best buy. Cars usually are chosen for CPO for a reason... popularity, condition, low mileage, etc. And .9% financing for years means BMW is paying the buyer to borrow their money.

For all three of my CPOs I had searched for months before buying. Check with your friend and I'll bet most new leased BMWs are custom factory ordered, with dozens of customizable and sometimes rare options (BMW makes their killing on options), not leased from stock off a lot, so as used returns they're not cookie cutter factory-line Buicks or Toyotas. If I'd found the same car/mileage/condition/financing at Joe's Used Creampuffs or on Craigslist, I might have bought it there.There are 4 BMW dealers within 25 miles of my home but for one unique CPO I drove 300 mi and another 500 mi because they were one of a kind optioned cars. When I resold the first two it took awhile but I got premium prices because they were unique -- perhaps the only ones anywhere in the USA with their exact specs. Anyway, to each their own.

John, like I said the most important thing is "are you happy"? Sounds like you were and are and that is all that matters. I can tell you many stories of buyers coming in for an "ad" car or won't consider buying anything but a base model. Then they want out of it in a year or two because they are not satisfied. So they spent more money and got much less! Buy what you want with options you want. You keep it longer and there is the value. This isn't the thread to debate this subject or leasing for that matter. Throughout my career I always tried to help a customer make a smart purchase. Doesn't always work....just like with so much else, you have to learn it on your own!

Actually there are not many high line cars ordered today. BMW or otherwise. Most lease cars are inventory units. And a smart manager orders cars in colors, packages, and options that will sell! The most coveted cars to turn into CPO's are 2-4 year old trade in units from conventional purchase.

Edited by realshelby

get her an older Corvette. Any fine BMW motorcycle should be complimented with a nice C5, 6 speed convertible in the garage.

BMW makes cars? I gotta get on that World Wide Web thing the kids keep talking about.......

BTW both new and CPO BMW's earn you a rebate check if you're a BMWCCA member. Varies by model. Don't want to come across snotty but if you enroll in one of the excellent driver schools held all across the country you just may discover why some are fanatical about the cars as well as the bikes.

Got a couple, actually a few but these are all I have pics of. As a long time collector of German metal (and fiberglass) I like the ones increasing in value not the other way, plus the new stuff is way too proprietary for me, like to steer clear of the dealer.

003-L.jpg

006-L.jpg

To answer the OP, no! They are a pain to maintain. My brother had a 2000 BMW 325xi and it was a maintenance monster. Stuff always broke on it. He had to replace the CV joints, headlights yellowed beyond repair, roof fabric lining kept peeling all over, many sensors failed, window motors failed. He was very meticulous in his maintenance and initially outsourced it all. But with the costs spinning out of control at the stealers, he finally did it all DIY. It was his first car so he was attached to it but he sold it and got a Vette a few years ago. And he now knows the 'ultimate driving machine' is just an ad slogan.\\

That said, I still have a soft spot for the Z3. It's got classic looks.

BMW8.jpg

My last Bimmer.

The cars are ok.

:/

Tim, I know you wish you could get that one back, mini-goldmine right there.. :thumbsup:

That said, I still have a soft spot for the Z3. It's got classic looks.

Amazingly it sounds and feels like a 2/3 scale XKE but with modern brakes and handling, and really is reminiscent of that era.

I rented a 118 ragtop for my honeymoon trip from Barcelona to Carcassonne via Andorra (the Pyrenees) in 2013. Sweet ride. I would never own one though. Too expensive for what they are.

Bill,

You got that right.

:dopeslap:

Sold for a tidy profit.

Then about 5-8 years later it hit the fan with them.

:rofl:

Story of my life with vehicles.

:eek:

But you've been down that road a few times, eh...

:wave:

Had a chance to buy a Ferdinand Porsche car,

Nice, provenance.

But hell, a rust free 356 Speedster was only $4-6k so I passed.

This is where I admit I bought Dell instead of Apple.

Anyone contemplating a serious investment, please contact me first.

:Cool::/

Edited by tallman

We have one of each, mine a 2002 1150rs, hers is a 2006 530xi, both are the same silver colored. Both bought used not abused, very happy with them both. We also have a 2001 ES300, got it used as well, very fine car, has almost 300k on it now, been great for us.

I'm the OP. My wife has a Mercedes GLE 350 SUV. I need a car, and I prefer an SUV. We don't really want 2 SUVs so that's why I may take hers, and she can get another car. The Mercedes has been reliable so far, but there are things about it that really bug me. The GPS is really lacking, no speed limit, no elevation, no customization of the layout. The music system is backwards also. I'm on my second RT, and both have been reliable, but I really appreciate how well the bike is laid out. The GPS, music system, dash layout, etc. I feel that the RT has my back. That's why I am curious about the BMW Cars. I let my wife read the replies, and now she doesn't want one. I got a lot out of the posts about certified used cars, because we will get a 2 or 3 year old car. Thanks Terry, and I like your windshield also.

One thing I didn't mention was that on test drives we would try to figure out ......stuff. Like how to work the gps, radio, menus of other things.

WOW! Some cars would need a 3 day training course! While all new cars, if you are not familiar with the brand, will have a learning curve you will find some are simply more intuitive than others. The BMW systems were found to be easy to learn, my wife actually thinks that is a major reason to recommend the BMW to friends. Even the voice commands work. Just tell it the address. First time usually. Don't ask about Jaguar systems.......

One thing I didn't mention was that on test drives we would try to figure out ......stuff. Like how to work the gps, radio, menus of other things.

WOW! Some cars would need a 3 day training course! While all new cars, if you are not familiar with the brand, will have a learning curve you will find some are simply more intuitive than others. The BMW systems were found to be easy to learn, my wife actually thinks that is a major reason to recommend the BMW to friends. Even the voice commands work. Just tell it the address. First time usually. Don't ask about Jaguar systems.......

A few years back the reviewers had just the opposite opinion of the BMW menu driven stuff. They said the controls for simple things were buried 3-4 levels deeps and hard to use. Not sure if it's fixed now.