IGNORED

Looking for a test rider in Escondido, CA

bendbill

Are there any volunteers to look at and test ride a lightly used 2017 RT at BMW of Escondido dealership? It was recently traded in. Address is 499 North Hale Ave, 760 520 1288.

I plan to buy it assuming all is OK, but I cannot get away from Oregon for weeks. Sales rep is Rudy Curcio, who's really busy. I've sent him an e-mail advising I'm soliciting an eye-witness/ test rider. I haven't heard back yet, but I assume it's OK

Here's a chance for a guilt-free excuse to try out a newer wethead instead of Saturday chores :Cool:

Thanks

Bill

Update--Rudy the sales rep says the test rider is welcome to take it for a ride tomorrow or Tues.

I hope there may be a taker out there

bill

Edited by BendBill

Fly and test ride for volunteer?

You can send the ticket to...

Hope it works out, should still have warranty remaining right?

I've bought a couple of bikes sight unseen based on the dealers mechanic and the option of walking away if anything is goofy when I show up to buy it.

I know we rant and rave about shotty work in dealerships but when you ask one to personally vouch for a bike I think they give an honest opinion.

The RTs in the Los Angeles area go fast. Even buying from a dealer, there could be an number of hidden defects, not manifest that t come up later. But I think that's rare.

That bike may be gone by Tuesday.

I think Jerry Duke is right. I doubt if the bike has any parts missing or things falling off it. Or a bad gear or clutch.

Graydude and Bill Walker are close. Maybe you could send them a message.

But, like they say, what could possibly go wrong ... (with just buying it)?

dc

Three more good insights. Thanks to all of you. I will assume the dealer and his mechanics will be honest with answers to my questions. And there is another 1+year of warranty remaining. For now I'll pass on fly-and-ride because my costs are already padded with transport out of state. If I add much more, the bargain is not so bargain-ish

So now, 2 more steps:

1--Considering how busy the dealership is and the idea of LA bikes going fast, I'll have dealer somehow hold it for me and pay whatever deposit they need

2--I'll pm Graydude and Bill Walker

bill

Great idea, dc, on contacting Graydude and Bill_Walker: they both came through on test-piloting. Now if the weather clears over the next several days . . .

Rudy at the dealership is proving good to work with. They're holding it for me. Plus it's confidence-inspiring knowing the checks that the Service Dept performs before accepting it to sell.

Thanks again to all. I've remained a member of this fine group even after I sold my 1150 in 2007; I also continued to attend some events here in the West on my ST 1300 over the last decade. By this time next week, I hope to be a wethead owner :-)

bill

The new wethead RT's are great. I'm sure this "new" RT has at least 2 years remaining warranty. Buying a bike from a dealer "unseen" shouldn't be an issue. Make sure you officially ask about any known defects, whether mechanical or cosmetic. Have them present that in writing before the sale is completed. The only reason I'd have a test drive is to see if YOU like it.

Good luck and maybe see you in Bend soon, retirement nears!

MB>

you should be good....just ask them to list all dent's, scratches, known or visible issue on the bill of sale. Expect a few scratches on the top of the bags and maybe front fender....almost unavoidable. I bought my 2005 RT in 2006 sight unseen in LA area. There were no surprises bad...some surprises good as it had some extras not listed they just gave me. Good luck...you will love the new RT.

Again, thanks to all for the advice. I've been ok'd to call their Service Dept. I'll have them send me copies of their inspection report for the warranty. And I'll have the sales rep note scuffs, etc.bill of sale. Come to think of it, I'll ask him to send me close up pics of the top of the right saddlebag

bill

Again, thanks to all for the advice. I've been ok'd to call their Service Dept. I'll have them send me copies of their inspection report for the warranty. And I'll have the sales rep note scuffs, etc.bill of sale. Come to think of it, I'll ask him to send me close up pics of the top of the right saddlebag

bill

When I bought my '15 from a dealer in 2017 with 8000 miles on it, it was flawless, but for a sticky GPS release button (a common problem, I've learned) and some stickum on the left panel where the PO had mounted something.

I am happy to take the bike on a test ride. I've bought bikes from them before. I will actually be in Escondido this afternoon.

Let me know.

Edited by Stir

Really, Michael, I'd appreciate it if you could take it for a ride tomorrow, Tues. I'll let the sales rep Rudy know. He has ok'd any test pilot

Also, please confirm you can go tomorrow.

bill

ps--and thanks, Bill_Walker for the good note on buying used

graydude and Bill_Walker,

Looks like you're off the hook :-/ Thanks so much for the offers

Stir/Michael will test-ride it tomorrow

bill

Sent you a pm. Thanks for everything and thanks to other test-pilot volunteers.

Any readers might want to know I bought elsewhere--honestly a last-minute offering here in Oregon. One year newer, 2 more years of warranty, Akrapovic exhaust, 3 total miles, for $2,300 more OTD

info https://www.emcwor.com/Pre-owned-Inventory-2018-BMW-Motorcycle-Scooter-R-1200-RT-Carbon-Black-Metallic-Premium-6540807?ref=list

And a shout out to Rudy at BMW Escondido. He was helpful and a straight shooter all the way. If you like what you see in the movie, that 2017 is available for $15,995. It has just under 3,000 miles

bill