IGNORED

Oil Filter

Rinkydink

Bike is ‘17 RT. Needing to change the oil. This my third RT and I have always changed my own fluids. I have misplaced my filter “wrench” due to numerous moves. Will the older one fit or do I need to get something different? I will dig deep in the storage building if need be......If needing a new model, what is everyone's experience in finding one. AutoZone, O'Reillys, Advance Auto? I know I can go to Wunderlich, BMW etc but of course looking for the cheap way out. TIA

The filter wrench for the wetheads is different than the old one. Beemerboneyard has a pretty good price for the wrench, but of course you can use a strap wrench, as suggested also. You can also take your new filter down to the local auto supply store and see what will fit as well.

Is the RT new? If I am not mistaken (someone correct me if so) the bike comes with a break-in filter that is a different size than the Mahle filters I typically use. It was a bear getting that first filter off because my filter wrench didn't fit, though powwow's suggestion would solve that problem.

Check out Beemer Boneyard for decent deals on filters, gaskets, wrenches, etc.

I just remembered the oil filter is horizontal and not recessed like my hex head. The dealer did the 600 mile oil change. I have a strap wrench somewhere around here, (moving sux) thanks guys.

Is the RT new? If I am not mistaken (someone correct me if so) the bike comes with a break-in filter that is a different size than the Mahle filters I typically use. It was a bear getting that first filter off because my filter wrench didn't fit, though powwow's suggestion would solve that problem.

Check out Beemer Boneyard for decent deals on filters, gaskets, wrenches, etc.

Be careful there. Yes the new WetHeads comes with a break in filter. But the regular oil filter, installed at the 600 mile service, looks like the oil filter for the HexHead/CamHead, but they are not the same size or part number.

Even BeemerBoneYard sells a different one for the WetHead then for the HexHead/CamHead.

But it's your bike, so install what ever you feel like.

I believe the older (1100/1150) filter wrench fits the wet head.

I have a filter wrench that fits the OilHead and the HexHead oil filters, but I can't make it fit the WetHead Filters.

But of course, I could use a hammer to make it fit. LOL

Bernie ... I just went out in the garage and checked and the wrench I used on my '97 R1100RT and my '02 R1150GS Fits the BMW brand WetHead filter. The '05 to '13 1200 filter wrench will not fit. I also have a Jessie wrench that will work on both. But the early oil head (pre-2005) wrench should fit. (no hammer required :thumbsup:)

Edited by RTinNC

Well, I check this morning and my Jesse wrench will not fit on my WetHead oil filter. Must be the humidity.

I am happy for you that it fits your filters. I ended buying a wrench for the WetHead oil filter, because I could not use my Jesse wrench.

Well, I check this morning and my Jesse wrench will not fit on my WetHead oil filter. Must be the humidity.

I am happy for you that it fits your filters. I ended buying a wrench for the WetHead oil filter, because I could not use my Jesse wrench.

Bernie ... that is correct. I have the Jessie "multi fit" wrench and just checked that one too and it does not fit. I use it on my camhead GSA but although it says multi-fit it does to fit the new filters. But my good old filter wrench I bought when I had my 1997 R1100RT fits perfectly . I suspect I may need to get the "optional hammer" you suggested to make the Jessie wrench fit :grin:

Bernie ... that is correct. I have the Jessie "multi fit" wrench and just checked that one too and it does not fit. I use it on my camhead GSA but although it says multi-fit it does to fit the new filters. But my good old filter wrench I bought when I had my 1997 R1100RT fits perfectly . I suspect I may need to get the "optional hammer" you suggested to make the Jessie wrench fit :grin:

Thanks Ed for confirming this.

Tom in Vernon BC

Some manufacturers' filters have 14 flats on their circumference; other filters have 15 flats. Both have the same outside diameter.

I was able to purchase the two appropriate filter 'sockets' from typical automotive sources. You may get funny looks as you count the flats, particularly if you lose count... again and again... A felt pen is your friend!

When ya don't have the correct filter 'socket', the optional BFH becomes a necessity.

I'll never understand why oil filter manufacturers don't just out a hex-head on the bottom of their filters the way K&N does. Makes getting the filter off so easy.