Puddles

LED Headlamp

Puddles

1996 called and it wants its dingy yellow dim headlamp back. I'm happy to give it.

Can anyone vouch for a nice modern and easy to fit LED replacement for my R1100RT?

Claudio

I have used the Cyclops LEDs on our F800/650 bikes and found them to be excellent (no modifications to stock components on those bikes). I think your bulb is an H4 (H7 on the 1150). They should have an H4 kit.

PAS

How would the heat effect the RT's headlight housing? I used a high out put H4 bulb in my 81 RT's head light and over time it melted the bulb holder.

BrianM

Probably better off adding some good driving lights than trying to modify the existing headlight.

SAS

led's should run a lot cooler that the stock bulb.

Dave P

puddles- there is a post 5 entries down and the guy has a link to a H4 led conversion setup from SuperBriteLEDS. To me it looks like an easy plug and play, and is $40. I haven't heard any comments about that setup, but it looks like a setup specifically for bikes. I think our RTs (mine is a 96 also) have a black plastic cap on the back of the headlight bulb. wonder how this setup would fit and work. Dave

Puddles

Thanks guys! I've perused most of the options mentioned but without context they kinda blur together. I'll shut my eyes, point, click, and see what ships.

Tri750
Thanks guys! I've perused most of the options mentioned but without context they kinda blur together. I'll shut my eyes, point, click, and see what ships.

Hey boss, let me know the outcome please.

I'm pretty happy with the "Candlepower" Zenon, but the the LED's weren't on the market when i was in the shops.

Puddles
Hey boss, let me know the outcome please.

I'm pretty happy with the "Candlepower" Zenon, but the the LED's weren't on the market when i was in the shops.

Of course! I'll do one better, I'll swing by and show ya.

Tri750

Sounds ok by me !

I'm watching YouTube videos on how to make avocado toast !

markallan00

In May of 2018 I installed:

9003 H4 LED Motorcycle Headlights - SEALIGHT Hi/Lo Beam CSP Head Replacement Conversion Light Retrofit Kit Headlamp Single Bulb 6000LM 12V HID White 6000K

I am completely happy with it.  The  only modification I needed to do was cut a bigger opening in the rubber seal that slips over the back to seal out the weather.  I did not need to adjust the throw as it was pretty much plug and play.   I ride with my brights on during the day and have yet to be "flashed". 

I ride a R1100RS.  

spacewrench

Anybody interested in splitting a pair of LED lights?  Looks like Amazon sells things in pairs, while I only need one H7 and one Hmumble-gotta-check.  But I already have a boxful of "spares" from when I bought 2 but only needed one, etc.

If there's a clear winner or acceptable option for high & low, I'd buy a set, then mix/match and send out half of them to somebody else.  (I have a 2000 R1100S and a 2004 Aprilia Futura that I'd be looking to equip.  Of course, the Futura has two high beams, so I'd only have extras on the low.)

Miguel!

New member and new-to-me 2001 BMW R1100R bike. I replaced the HL on my previous bike with an LED and loved it. First thing I did to the 1100 was replace the bulb w an LED. Working with my local, family-owned, BMW-trained shop, I chose the Cyclops despite all my engineering experience telling me to avoid fans. The local shop service all the local BMW MC including the CHP, county and city R1100RT-P. They haven't had any problems with the Cyclops and recommended it. Also Amazon has lots of excellent user reviews. I went for it and it is indeed quite a bit brighter during the day (my main riding time). So far no problems. 

Best

Miguel!