IGNORED

Rebuildable driveshaft

cattal

I bought a rebuildable driveshaft about one year ago and kind think it's time to service the uni joints. Does anyone know what the service interval should be and are they any clues on how to grease the front joint without removing the driveshaft

Cheers

You have to remove the swing arm on RT's. I also have a serviceable driveshaft on my 06. I lube it every two years. It's not that hard and is fairly straight forward. Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll see if I can send you some photos.

What state are you in?

Edited by Indy Dave

Hi, Not in any state I transported my over from Australia to New Zealand and just prepping it for a two month tour of both islands Not sure if the PM went through

Thanks for the advice

Alan

The rear joint is problem one. I would feel comfortable just servicing that one after only a year in service.

I think eddd offers good advice. The rear joint is easy enough to do while you're doing a final drive service, and only takes a minute. It's the front that's a PITA - that's the one I've been doing every two years. And it's been fine and as eddd may be suggesting, even longer intervals may very well be ok.

I'll note, that the zerks sheared off on my serviceable driveshaft and that the manufacturer made a design change to a flush zerk. You'll know when you drop the final drive if yours has this problem. I'm assuming you had yours rebuilt locally ot at least in Aussie Land.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi Dave,

I don't know if it is just me, but I think I might be hearing the earliest signs of a drive shaft problem on my 06' R1200ST.  I've looked without disassembling and don't see any tell tale signs yet at 50k miles.  Can you e-mail or PM me info on these serviceable driveshafts as well.