IGNORED

FEELER: Improved R1150 6 Speed Transmission Input Shaft

GS Addict

Attn Mods: This is a feeler to get feedback. I will ask to have this moved to classifieds if the interest is positive.

History: Back in 2008 I offered an improved input shaft for the Oilhead 6 speed transmission. There was little interest at the time as there had been relatively few failures. (My machine had higher mileage than average) and the cost was higher than BMW OE due to low production quantities. I did not get enough commitments to do a production run of 10 pcs. See this link: https://advrider.com/f/threads/impro...ission.301863/

Present: BMW has backordered the shaft #23 21 7 651 172 and the MAX fiche has the following note: “02/2018 - manufacture backorder, no ETA.” . I contacted my local dealer and they advised me that there were over 200 on backorder in Germany as of mid Nov 2018

Consequently, I am getting requests to purchase the improved model from North America as well as Europe.

I am willing to resurrect this project if I can get firm commitments to do a batch run of 10pcs.

Some specifications:

- Replaces BMW p/n 23 21 7 651 172. Fits all R1150 6 speeds

- Shaft material is harder than OE and splines have reduced backlash to further reduce wear.

- Professionally manufactured to ISO9001, API Q1 & AGMA standards by a large North American Manufacturer.

- Original prototype now at 126,000mi (203,000km) in my own machine

- By combining with the Extended Hub Clutch Disc from Beemerboneyard an additional 6mm of spline area can be achieved for a total of 12mm.

Price: $855usd insured postage included to the contiguous USA. Paypal Accepted.

Full info on this product can be found here: http://www.sunshinecoast.ca/bmw/Impr...tShaft2018.pdf

If you are interested I would require a deposit of $250usd each. Once I reach 10 commitments, delivery would be 8 weeks for the order. All deposits would be refunded if I could not reach target in 2 months.

7076.jpg.df775ff8267dc6cbc38e94d2bd75913a.jpg

Hi GS Addict in British Columbia,

I heartily endorse and applaud your renewed initiative to source a better-quality gearbox-input-shaft for 1150cc 6-speed oilhead trannies.

At eight-fifty snoojits-plus, the price is right. Only thing that deters me from signing up is the full gearbox strip / rebuild job that's needed to fit it.

And following my hour's test-ride on a Zero SR electric bike last week in Spain, I now have other priorities. Nothing short of _ b r e a t h t a k i n g....

a stunning 156 Nm of net torque, more than any 1,000cc sport bike, with truly arm-wrenching acceleration.

No clutch, no gearbox, just twist and hang-on for dear life.

AL

Edited by Alan Sykes

What would this cost to have a shop do all the work including the new shaft? Last time I was at the dealer it was $100. an hour labor. My guess it would be over a 1/3 of the value of the bike.

What would this cost to have a shop do all the work including the new shaft? Last time I was at the dealer it was $100. an hour labor. My guess it would be over a 1/3 of the value of the bike.

For some of the earlier bikes that use this shaft the part alone is close to 1/3 of the bike's value. I don't think the market here is people trying to save money, but rather people who want to preserve and continue to use a machine they love.

If your dealer only charges $100 per hour I think they're on the low end for US BMW shops. ;)

If I hadn't sold my '04 R1150RT two years ago I would have for sure bought the clutch spline extension for around $100 just for input shaft preventive maintenance. Not sure what I would do if I owned a six speed BMW that had developed a spline wear issue now. Don't think I could sell it with the knowledge it could self destruct for a new unsuspecting owner. It's issues like this with BMW that made up my mind to part with the "04RT.

My guess it would be over a 1/3 of the value of the bike.

Hell, I got my bike for $2750, and went to the local dealer to inquire about a once-over check of all the things that break. When they added up all the things they thought would be suitable, it was about $2k. And that was if nothing was wrong -- just the cost to look.

I really like the bike; it feels comfortable (and felt that way from the beginning). So I'm highly incented to keep it alive. $1k (shaft & clutch) is sorta spendy, plus a pretty big repair job, but I'll probably buy in if this project goes.

Well, I think they were going to check various drive splines & stuff. Probably valves. It wasn't just an oil change (although even that is friggin expensive!)

If a particular model and year falls into the love that ride category, then you either bite the bullet and pony up the $$ to keep it road worthy, or learn to spin wrenches which isn't inexpensive either...but at least all those tools can be used again and again on all manner of mechanical contraptions (well except the specialty one).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I might bite the bullet on this as preventative maintenance. Just wanted to point out that BMW screwed up on my  01 X5 SUV with the same issue and i ended up having to weld on a new extended spline. This wouldn't work for my 1150RT, but I wonder WTF was going on over at BMW during those years.

BMW-X5-FRONT-DRIVE-SHAFT-REPAIR-KIT.jpg