IGNORED

It's time to upgrade...

Matts_12GS

I am late to this thread. So mi dos centavos:

Owned a 2002 RT. Thought is was the end-all. Rode it from 72K to 130K. Rear-end went out and the cost to repair vs. bike value and mileage I decided to "upgrade" this summer to a slightly used 10K miles '14 RTW. That's a generation skip, of course.

So last week I had a front wheel replaced and got a loaner, a 2010 RT. I couldn't get back on my RTW fast enough. The R1200RT was a disappointment after the RTW. I do not miss the dry clutch. Love not having to check and top up the damn oil all the time. The extra power! I would not mess with any old oil cooled RT.

While chatting with the service rep, explaining my new found appreciation for the RTW after riding the loaner, he warned me not to ride the brand-new '19 1250RTW with the variable cam timing. The risk of a new addiction and financial misappropriation is too high. "You'll mortgage your family to own that bike!"

Michael

If it's snort you want with a wet clutch and shaft drive why not save a buck or two and just go with an FJR? Big difference between 30K and 18K or so I'm told. Oh yeah, and if your alternator gives you grief you won't have to take out a second on the house to get it fixed. :) Duuhhhh.....

Oh and then you have what should be the BMW slogan: An extended warrantee...don't leave home without one. That's supposed to be funny. :D

Edited by JamesW

Now here's a real funny one. I'm going to arrange for a test ride of the new R1250RT. I'm really curious and who knows, maybe I'll end up wanting one you just never know. Stranger things......

While chatting with the service rep, explaining my new found appreciation for the RTW after riding the loaner, he warned me not to ride the brand-new '19 1250RTW with the variable cam timing. The risk of a new addiction and financial misappropriation is too high. "You'll mortgage your family to own that bike!"

Michael

I didn't find that to be the case. The power upgrade is there, but in my ride, I had to 'look' for the power increase (and I found it!), but for 99% of my riding, they felt identical.

Talked to a BMW dealer in Vancouver, WA yesterday about a test ride and they said no problem and all of their motorcycles in the showroom are available and ready for test rides. They have a couple '18 R1200RT bikes left over as well as the new 1250RT bikes. Only thing they ask is that you give them a heads up and pick a day when it isn't raining. Salesman would ride with me on an R1200RT with me on the 1250 then half way through the ride we would trade bikes. Now that's what I call a test ride.

I mentioned I have a '93 R1100RSL and they said they don't work on any BMW older than 2008 since they're new to BMW and aren't set up to handle the older machines. That's OK with me since I would never sell or trade the '93 anyway. Just mentioned the RS so they would know I'm hardly new to BMW.

Next sunny day I'm going to jump in the Mustang and head north. :)

Edited by JamesW
Talked to a BMW dealer in Vancouver, WA

Next sunny day I'm going to jump in the Mustang and head north. :)

If it's that BMW dealership, stop down the shop area and tell Mr. Smoak he has a couple fans on the BMWST site! :thumbsup:

Pat

"Well hello there YouTube..."

What do you mean?

The mechanic I was referring to up at the Vancouver dealership has a YouTube Chanel and he always begins his vlogs with "Well hello there YouTube" . :)

Pat

The mechanic I was referring to up at the Vancouver dealership has a YouTube Chanel and he always begins his vlogs with "Well hello there YouTube" . :) Pat

Ah. I understand.

"Well hello there YouTube..."

What do you mean?

The mechanic I was referring to up at the Vancouver dealership has a YouTube Chanel and he always begins his vlogs with "Well hello there YouTube" . :)

Pat

Would like to see that. Can you post a link?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2018 at 3:22 PM, JamesW said:

If it's snort you want with a wet clutch and shaft drive why not save a buck or two and just go with an FJR? 

Because it's a yamaha. I don't like Yamahas...

Besides, now that I have sold my 2005 GS, I am about to take delivery on a new to me 2013 GSW.  I hope to have it back in my CT garage by the 24th of February.

• Like 4

:14:

Nope, not blue.

12 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Looks like we've got ten days to guess the color...Blue? :classic_biggrin:

That's pretty Pat.  I will give it a look since there GS is now sold

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, RightSpin said:

Gotta be red.

I wish it was red.  Maybe paint is in the future.

My new bike is a silver/grey 2013 GSW coming to me from NC, just like my 05 did.  I'm super excited to get the bike to CT and get used to what it can do.

I think I may name it Stewart...

3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 2/13/2019 at 9:51 PM, Matts_12GS said:

I wish it was red.  Maybe paint is in the future.

My new bike is a silver/grey 2013 GSW coming to me from NC, just like my 05 did.  I'm super excited to get the bike to CT and get used to what it can do.

I think I may name it Stewart...

Pictures on arrival are required.  The 2013 GSW was the first wet head I rode.  It was instant love but I had a new K16GT in the garage.

IMG_0321.JPG

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Limecreek said:

Pictures on arrival are required.  The 2013 GSW was the first wet head I rode.  It was instant love but I had a new K16GT in the garage.

IMG_0321.JPG

Pictures will be done. I should have it about 3/1.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1200 wet head and have ridden the 1250. It’s great. More CCs, More torque, more HP. It really has some grunt.

go ride on you will be sold.

GT 

And she's here!  I finally got my new LC GS last night...  I'm looking forward to taking tomorrow off

IMG_20190306_214649947.jpg

IMG_20190306_214644096.jpg

IMG_20190306_214637045.jpg

• Like 4