IGNORED

Garmin Nav VI Return

Son of St Michael

Son of St Michael

I recently experienced a problem with my Nav VI and contacted Garmin. They are doing an exchange for me. I am posting this in case any of you have or may experience the same issue. So here goes:

Several times over the last few months my Nav VI screen would start to shift from one screen to another. It was like an invisible person was rapidly selecting various GPS options and the screen was switching to those options. I used the WW to cycle between screen options and it would stop briefly then start back up again. The only real way to stop it was to turn it off. This happened several times over the last few months and then last week it started again. Now it happens every time I start the bike.

The Nav VI was new when I bought my 18 K1600 GTL about 14 months ago. It has a 5 year warranty.

I contacted Garmin support and told them what was happening. As soon as I told them what the Nav was doing he advised that they would replace it with a new one under warranty. The tech had a good understanding as to what was happening and did not have me go through any of the problem resolution functions (reset, hard reset, etc.). He did ask a number of questions that appear to be pat of the warranty system. Within minutes I had received an email with the information on how to send the Nav back and when I should receive a new one.

In closing, it appears that the screen issue is recognized by Garmin as a problem and the only resolution is a replacement.

SOSM

• Thanks 1

THANK YOU so much for posting this! I had the very same issue occur a week ago. I thought evil demons had nested inside the Nav VI. I will call Garmin tomorrow!

I removed the battery and logged into Garmin Express for current updates thinking these would resolve the issue but I will just call them and see what they say.

Appreciate the post!!

What a timely post...this happened to me today...first time. I thought it might be dirty contacts so when I arrived home I cleaned them and will take a test ride tomorrow. Thanks for posting this!

Garmin is aware of the issue, so just mentioning should get it taken care of. Garmin has exceptional customer support. Others on the board have also had this problem.

• Like 1

A well-know defect. I had my Nav VI replaced by Garmin about six weeks ago with a new, in-wrapped-box, device. This was a no hassle exchange. They, of course, do not ship the new device, until they receive your defective one (for which you'll get a pre-paid shipping label from Garmin).

Edited by marcopolo

I just talked to Garmin and they said the problem seems to be with older Nav VI units. He said my SN is right on the boarder line so i'm running the upgrade and doing a "Master Reset". If that doesn't fix it they'll send a new one. Mine is SN ending 5063. Unless you received an old one you should be ok. It took a year for this problem so appear on mine. For what it's worth he asked questions like:

- How many miles on it

- Did it show any unusual traits like slow to respond to touch commands

- Does it happen in cradle and out on battery

I just talked to Garmin and they said the problem seems to be with older Nav VI units. He said my SN is right on the boarder line so i'm running the upgrade and doing a "Master Reset". If that doesn't fix it they'll send a new one. Mine is SN ending 5063. Unless you received an old one you should be ok. It took a year for this problem so appear on mine. For what it's worth he asked questions like:

- How many miles on it

Ditto here too ... just spoke to Garmin and while they offered (if I preferred) an exchange I told them I would give it a shot since I just did a full reboot and update of maps and software. My unit was purchased in July and Garmin indicated my warranty was for 5 years from August 2018. Customer Service was excellent. And Mike, who I spoke to from Garmin, indicated he himself had 2 bikes and could fully understand my frustration.

I purchased my NAV VI 6-30-18 when I bought my 18RT, never had a problem with it until yesterday. The unit wouldn't take commands when touching the screen, after some time it did but wouldn't stay where I wanted it. Just updated it but may have to look at getting it replaced ,don't need it screwing up while on a trip. Thanks for the original post on the subject.

- How many miles on it

Where is the serial number located , on the unit or on the box it came in ? Never mind I found it :)

Edited by Bob H.

Well went out today after my full reboot (battery out) and map & firmware update from Garmin Express site. Did 200 miles and the Nav VI performed perfectly. We'll see how it does in the future. I am certainly suspect and a little worried that it will go nuts again while on a trip. Fortunately no big trips until spring so will see how it does on more short trips over the winter.

Son of St Michael

My Nav made it back to Garmin. Now just waiting for them to ship me a new one. I am planning a Saddlesore 1000 Iron Butt and just waiting for the Nav to come home so I can get on the road. I have to laugh at myself. Just a few years ago I always had a Thomas Bros map book or a Rand McNally. and now I wait for a Nav. uugghh. Old or lazy. Not sure.

SOSM

• 11 months later...

I just talked to Garmin about my Navi VI just now. They called the problem Phantom Screen and within 5 min I had my RMA #. I had to do very little explaining to them. "just send it back and we'll issue you a new device"

Thanks to SOSM and everyone else for posting. It made it much easier to get to the heart of the problem.

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...

I’ve got to give garmin high marks for their customer service. 
I had to do nothing but give them my email address and that gave them all the info they needed including the serial number due to me being a repeat victim errrr I mean customer    ; )

• 1 month later...

I sent my fourth device and waiting for the fifth one to come.
I wonder how long they will keep changing.  Customer service might be very good but the product is not there anymore.  I used Garmin Zumo 660 for so many years, without having any complain but these BMW NAV series, is disaster.

1 hour ago, Visionliner said:

I sent my fourth device and waiting for the fifth one to come.
I wonder how long they will keep changing.  Customer service might be very good but the product is not there anymore.  I used Garmin Zumo 660 for so many years, without having any complain but these BMW NAV series, is disaster.

Has anyone considered that it is just like the fuel strip replacement?

Replacing a faulty one with a new one that is still faulty?

I owned a GS for less than a year and the dealer put in two fuel strips. A faulty design is a faulty design, no matter the date of production.

Many of these issues are why I have stayed with the Nav V.  I am surprised that Garmin hasn't figured out the problem with the Nav VI.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Bud said:

Replacing a faulty one with a new one that is still faulty?

In the end will we will all be stuck with a malfunctioning unit that winds up in the circular file?

2 hours ago, RandyShields said:

Many of these issues are why I have stayed with the Nav V.

Randy, What is the difference between V and VI?

I don’t know the difference in V and VI but I bought my V in Feb 2014 and it has been flawless. I still think my Zumo 550 I bought in 2006 is much much easier to use. It’s been replaced once because the rubbet button wore out and came off

Thanks for the links, I got this sinking feeling when realizing that they may not be correcting the problem but recycling these bad units with a minor corrections in hopes of getting it right. (just guessing):dontknow:

• 10 months later...

I knew it was around last year this time that I posted that my NavVI was ghosting. It turns out that it was exactly one year to the day Nov 5th 2020 and last night it started ghosting again.

Here we go again ..... grrrrr

I wonder if it has something to do with last weeks Halloween  :14: