IGNORED

Ugh!, Side case broke

Rougarou

So,...yesterday morning I arrive at work, lift the handle for the side case to put my jacket in and "snap"!, something inside breaks and the sidecase won't open. (2006 RT)

Now I have to source bits and pieces for repair (I cheap frugal) so I'll hit the used parts places to find some guts. Anyway, can I get the case opened to do the repair, and if so, how? I'll likely tackle getting it open this weekend to inspect what broke but would like a pointer in how to get into the thing.

Thanks

That stinks.

I have a side bag that isn't working well either. One of the latches is broken inside, but the other works. When I lift the handle it disengages one of the latches but not the second. I have to push gently downward on the edge of the case, closest to the latch, and un-hook it.

Mine is probably a different generation but hope it helps!

So,...yesterday morning I arrive at work, lift the handle for the side case to put my jacket in and "snap"!, something inside breaks and the sidecase won't open. (2006 RT)

Now I have to source bits and pieces for repair (I cheap frugal) so I'll hit the used parts places to find some guts. Anyway, can I get the case opened to do the repair, and if so, how? I'll likely tackle getting it open this weekend to inspect what broke but would like a pointer in how to get into the thing.

Thanks

Just a word of caution here: if you are going to ride around with the side case like that use some duct tape to make sure it doesn't fall open unexpectedly. Damhik.

• 2 months later...

Seems this might be a old post, but if somebody still needs help with a broken side case latch I fixed mine and it's really not that hard to do. If you need help contact me.

• 3 weeks later...

I owned my 2006 for 12 years before I sold it.  I had both side cases apart twice during that time since they would get progressively harder to open/operate over time.  The mechanism on the inside is ridiculously complex.  If you ever played the board game "mousetrap" as a kid, that is what the interior mechanisms of the side cases reminded me of. 

Go slow, insure that the mechanism side is on the ground when you separate the inner from the outer cases, make a diagram of where each of the assembly screws come from, they are many different sizes.  I used Teflon bicycle grease on most of the interior components after cleaning them carefully, the large slide that runs vertically to lock cases to bike needs to be in the track fully before you reassemble.

In short, it is a pain in the a$$.  Those cases definitely need attention to the interior mechanisms every couple of years if in heavy use with lots of outdoors time IMHO.

• 3 weeks later...

Ended up drilling and finally finding the sweet spot, got it dismantled, paddle and lock assembly had broken parts.  Soooo, I sourced a used 2007 case from evilbay ($375 total), thinking just switch lock cylinders,.....nope, the dismanteler/reseller didn't just pull the cylinder out.  I found that they took the cases apart to remove the cylinder, but also the chrome cylinder surround and the small plastic piece at the bottom of the chamber.  Also upon removing the lock, they must have fouled the latching mechanism that holds the case on the bike.,.......soooo, after an hour and not a single tool thrown in usual Richard frustration, the case is properly back together and on the bike.

Also, why soooo many lids for side cases for sale but minimal if any of the actual case bottoms???????  I'da been fine if I could have found a functioning case bottom for lesser cost.