IGNORED

Riding in the wind tips?

R65_Steve

I am pretty much a fair weather rider. I bought a new bike 3 months ago that has heated grips and hand shields from something Japanese (I guess by the text inside them). Anyhow.

It was really windy today and about 50 degrees. I took a short trip to a shop where they were having demo rides on another brand. The wind was pretty severe and I took the double yellow highway route vs. the parallel interstate. I was honesty concerned about being blown into the next lane. And, I don't have the right cold weather gear, so 55 vs 70 seemed like a good choice.

When the wind is really blowing, how do you manage? Lean into it (if you can figure out where it's coming from)? Put down more power?

(of course, I showed up too late to get a demo ride unless I wanted to hang around for 2 hours. boo. :( )

My RTs have had a tendency to autocorrect into the wind, albeit sometimes more than is desirable. But yeah, leaning into it is necessary. But beware of things that block the wind, like big rigs, overpasses, hills, etc. They'll make that crosswind stop right quick, and then you've got to stand it up before it heads into the oncoming lane or off the road. If you can't tell which direction it's coming from, then either it's not strong enough to need to lean into it, or you're heading pretty much straight into it. More speed will move the apparent wind forward, but does nothing to reduce the crosswind component of it, so it just means you'll be going faster when you get blown out of your lane. Most people find that that's not a good thing.

Well you will have to lean into it! Leaning away from it will present a whole set of issues, none of which would be good!! So there is only one option, lean into it! I was in Wyoming with my wife on the back of the bike, and a big storm was rolling in, but every time I went around one of the sweeping curves it was sunny, then the next curve black skies. When I came around the last curve the storm front was right there, unpredictable to me, I leaned into it, our friends were behind us, when I looked in my mirror to see where they were , all I could see in my mirrors was pavement. Apparently I leaned it so much that my friends wife panicked and she screamed looking at my bike, they stopped , I could see blue skies up about 200 yards and pressed on through it. I think the only way you gain confidence in your ability to handle the wind, is to ride it enough so you develop a feel for your abilities as well as the bikes ability. The wind will let you know what angle you need to be at to keep going, , I have never had it move me over a whole lane, more throttle helps, practice, run up and down the interstate, you will get a feel. By the way, it is more fun when it is raining and windy!!!

Start by wearing the correct gear.

If you're cold or thinking about comfort, riding may be affected.

The wind on a 2 lane road was blowing you out of your lane?

No trees?

Interesting .

I have never had it move me over a whole lane,

I have never had it move me over a whole lane either, but several times it has moved me over by 3/4 of a lane. So it is a good idea to pay attention to your position in the lane. It also depends on the kind of wind conditions. With a steady wind, you need to worry more about wind shadow in the lee of trucks or other obstacles that can block the wind. In that case I want to be on the downwind side of the lane, since a sudden lapse in wind will find the bike abruptly moving upwind. If the wind is a very gusty with sudden increases, then maybe it is better to be on the upwind side, since a sudden gust will push you downwind.

If you have to worry about both gusts and wind shadows, it can be a challenge, just be aware of things that can block the wind as someone has already said.

Last fall I was near Dodge City, KS riding Rt. 50 heading west. I woke up to 60 mph crosswinds but decided to forge ahead. Rt. 50 has small villages about every 20-30 miles with huge grain elevators right along the road. Almost all of them were on the North side of the road. When passing them on the lee side, there was an eerie calm and then you got slammed on the other side. The first time was quite startling. Similar surprises can occur around trucks, overpasses and natural geography like hills. Keep a loose grip on the handlebars and be aware of your surroundings at all times. It also pays to stay on the side of your lane that will allow your bike to drift a bit without going across lanes.

There's lots of good info on the net regarding best practices.

I bought my used R1200RT at the end of Sept last year. Drove home through very heavy crosswinds across South Park, Colorado. And I've got some experience on an FJR also.

1) lower your windshield all the way

2) put your head very low or even on the tank bag

3) slow down, if only to give you more time to react if you get blown around. Maybe 60 instead of 75.

4) stay on the side of the lane that will allow you to be blown around a bit

5) I don't use a tail bag generally but I'm sure that a big top box would also cause you to be blown around more.

Heavy cross wind is really tiring and no fun to ride in.

I live in the land of perpetual winds, the vast Mojave desert so riding in the wind is something we've learned to live with! Kinda feels like the wheels being pushed around under ya!

The best way to describe riding with wind is it's like “dancing with a fat chick” (who's a really good dancer).......just go with, let the bike wiggle a bit, then drift back to where ya want to be, stay loose and whatever you do, DON'T go stiff armed or you'll make jerky motions that just make things worse! If the wind is steady just countersteer into it a little, slow down a little,and do what the illustrious Mr Bill Walker said about obstacles.........

Don J

Edited by mrduck

Thanks folks. I guess you all ride in some real WIND. This was just an overly breezy day. I feel a little like a baby now as I have been in those Santa Ana winds (in a car).

Kidding... A little.