IGNORED

Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) Sparta, NC April 24-28

Indy Dave

It's getting close enough to start getting the weather forecasts, which will change, but it adds to the building excitement. :5210:

If you haven't done it already, put yourself on the Member Map. It's cool to see where people are coming from. :5147:

12 minutes ago, Kinsley said:

If you haven't done it already, put yourself on the Member Map. It's cool to see where people are coming from. :5147:

I hate to ask a dumb question, but how do you mark your location on the map?  I've opened it a couple times, but can't find a way to mark my location.

15 minutes ago, Burt said:

I hate to ask a dumb question, but how do you mark your location on the map?  I've opened it a couple times, but can't find a way to mark my location.

It's not a dumb question. Click on your profile in the upper right corner. Look in the banner area for Edit Profile in the upper right hand corner. Under Personal Information you'll see Member Map Location (I just added my city and state) For Location I added my Zip Code.

• Like 2

Just completed the GSA's 12K service and brake flush, new tires mounted, a few loose spokes discovered and corrected, first 3 days of routes loaded, bike is packed!    Riding up to Baltimore on Thursday to have Jerry Skene help me install Skene rear P3 Lights with turn signals and a pair of front yellow Photon Booster LED lights.   After a long winter I am indeed excited about heading out next Sunday with Mark (Marcopolo) and Peter (Twistyguy)! :4322:

• Like 3

Well Bob, that sounds good. Can't wait to catch up with you, if you let me. :18::4617:

New tires mounted and I even had a chance to scuff them in on a 485 mile last Saturday.

Routes loaded into GPS and starting to pack. Weather looks great and I hope everyone has a great ride to Sparta, NC.

:wave:

Edited by Bernie
spelling mistake
  • Like 1
On 4/15/2019 at 5:41 PM, wbw6cos said:

So far, Woodstock, Powder Springs, Atlanta & Lilburn for the Metro Atl.  Come on y'all:  let's represent'! :4907:

And Marietta as well! Though only Fri-Sun.

And I'll flying solo after all. Terri's new job stole Friday from her. 

• Like 1

:19:  :19:Sparta Administrivia!:19::19:

The Long Awaited Official :bike:  START  :bike:to the Riding Season is upon us! Time for a few final items:

• Upon Check-In, register your arrival on the official START Sign In Sheet and 1) How many hours you traveled to get to Sparta & 2) the year of your bike.
  • The Famous Friday Dinner Contest - all you need to do to get an entry to the contest is to post a photo(s) from your trip or START Ride(s). Post your photos to the New Thread "Sparta 2019 From START to Finish"Suggested photos are of your group, your bike in a scenic spot, you and your bike, etc. Mobile photo posting is Ez-Pz on the new board! :5210:

Sparta 2019 START to finish Photo Posting

• Endobob's Thursday Night Pizza and Friday night's group meal will be in the Conference Room in the hotel annex.

Safe Travels one and all!

• Like 2
6 hours ago, TyTass said:

And Marietta as well! Though only Fri-Sun.

And I'll flying solo after all. Terri's new job stole Friday from her. 

I think he's referring to our locations being posted on the Member Map at the top of the home page. We look forward to seeing you but will miss Terri...this work thing keeps getting in the way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New tires mounted, warranty replacement air pump (MotoPumps Mini Pro) received ( and new battery lead installed), warranty replacement Nav VI in hand, set of rear brake pads bought (as on-road insurance only), routes (so many of them :grin:) loaded onto my GPS.  Only a few small things left to do before wheels up on Sunday with Bob, and Peter.

• Like 3
On 4/17/2019 at 8:49 AM, marcopolo said:

Only a few small things left to do before wheels up on Sunday with Bob, and Peter.

Wheels up?  I know Bob rides fast, but he's not flying, is he?  :3:See you guys in Front Royal.  Kickstands up 0800!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
11 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

Dave,

Move DyAnne and I to the Thursday arrivals.  Work got in the way!

Mike

The work gremlins have been hard at...  uhh.... work! Glad they didn't spoil the entire START - Thursday is a great day to arrive! EnbdoBob's pizza night will await you, along with the rest of the early arrivals! :5223:

Like many of those before me, I'm going to be unable to make this year's START due to work commitments. Hope to see everyone in the fall!

4 hours ago, RT_Jim said:

Like many of those before me, I'm going to be unable to make this year's START due to work commitments. Hope to see everyone in the fall!

Jim, are you sure it's not because you're too tied up watching the Blue Jackets playoff run?

One Last time before I hit the road in 12 hours! Kinsley and I will be checking the board for any last minute changes. See you all real soon!

459435772_attendingApr20.thumb.jpg.bf7320a9eb258c536eabe3bf99a9011b.jpg

2045395449_reserveddinnerstartsparta2019fridaymealApr20.thumb.jpg.1fab6ef357284c8dc2b0dad5d5c5e4bf.jpg

• Like 1

Mark - 

I can neither confirm nor deny any allegations about my continuing to party because of the Blue Jacket's win! I really hope we don't have to go up against Toronto next since I'll be very torn on who to cheer for!

Good news for me!  I've been released from jury duty, so I'm still IN!  I just got a text from Medic Mike confirming we'll be riding out together.  We should be there Wednesday afternoon.

• Like 3

Unfortunately Deb won't be able to make the Start. Today in the yard I found one of my dogs with a gaping hole in his leg. After a quick trip to the vets, the wound will require daily tending. So Deb is staying home with the dog. :14:

• Sad 2

Good morning Early Bird STARTers! Enjoy the ride to Sparta today and Kinsley and I look forward to seeing your and catching up.

Foot, glad the dog will be ok and it's in the best hands!

Ken, sorry it's not working out this time. 

About those 2019 Sparta routes that Kinsley posted, I cannot open those.  Sorry for the newbie type post, but how does one view (or open) them?

1 hour ago, John Ranalletta said:

After downloading, open the file with Garmin's Basecamp.     Download Basecamp here.

Thanks.  I just purchased the BMW NAv VI and the desktop icon is for Garmin Express.  Will that work too?

3 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Thanks.  I just purchased the BMW NAv VI and the desktop icon is for Garmin Express.  Will that work too?

Download from Garmin the free Software BaseCamp. Then you can import the file into BaseCamp and then transfer the routes to the GPS. 

Check out this discussion:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
John Ranalletta

Garmin Express is a program you would use to manage your GPS, map updates, etc.  As Bernie wrote, download basecamp and use it to open the maps file you downloaded.  Connect your GPS to the BC computer.  From there, you can send the routes and waypoints to your GPS.  No other way to do it that I know.

This is how the routes for Start 19 look like in Basecamp:

image.png.bba260b71d9410418fcd022ec4c3358d.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the routes on a spare Micro -SD card and can use it to send the routes to you.

Or you can transfer the routes by Bluetooth between 2 Nav6 or 590 units.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Bernie said:

I have the routes on a spare Micro -SD card and can use it to send the routes to you.

Or you can transfer the routes by Bluetooth between 2 Nav6 or 590 units.

Thank you Bernie.  I think I will take you up on that offer.  I will meet you in the parking lot around 8:30 - ish for the transfer.

:3:

Home at safe and exhausted at 6:15 PM. Pulled out at 5:30 AM after waking up the motel clerk to try to get him to make coffee for the rest of the crew.

The BRP was a very interesting ride in the dark.

2,691 miles total, not bad for a weeks worth of riding.

See you all at FART 2019!

• Like 3
terryofperry

Ron, Tim and I are home safely. A big thank you to everyone, great work putting this together Dave and Ken. :18:

Terry

• Like 1

Thank you to Panhandle Chuck for inviting me to START 2019, the Florida riders who took me under their wings, and everyone I met for making me feel at welcome and at home. I'd never heard of the BMWST group before Chuck mentioned the group a year or so ago, and glad attended START 2019.

So I are now an official member of the BMWST forum and looking forward to future STARTing and FARTing.

Mike

• Like 4

Mike - Thanks so much for taking a chance on us - Panhandle Chuck always has an enthusiastic and great group from Florida in his midst. We hope to see you again in the Fall!

Posted on the photo thread but wanted to thank Indy Dave and Kinsley for a great weekend!  What a blast and a great venue!   And thanks to everyone I met and chatted with ... it was great!! 

Be well and ride safe! 

Ed 

• Like 2