IGNORED

Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) Sparta, NC April 24-28

Indy Dave

17 hours ago, RTinNC said:

And it appears there is an ABC Store 3/10 of a mile from the Allegheny Inn :clap:

Assume there is a local establishment selling cold beer as well.   What a great country! :4907:

The ABC store is also close to a good bbq restaurant.  You can get beer at the gas station across the street from the hotel.

I'm in!!

Arriving 24th, leaving 28th.

Put me down for everything!!

If anyone is looking for a room, I have a double and can share.

Lowndes

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Lowndes said:

I'm in!!

Arriving 24th, leaving 28th.

Put me down for everything!!

If anyone is looking for a room, I have a double and can share.

Lowndes

Kinsley and I have you down for the Whole Enchilada! Welcome back!

9 hours ago, ltljohn said:

The ABC store is also close to a good bbq restaurant.  You can get beer  GAS at the gas Beer Station across the street from the hotel.

Fixed it for ya! (remember they ran out of gas for a short time).

Just a quick reminder - Lists will be updated within 24 hours of funds being received for dinner or attendance changes. Check the FIRST post on page one for the updated lists, as that page will be updated daily (as needed) and updated slides will only be posted within the thread intermittently. :5147:

As Of March 14:

1298270742_reserveddinnerstartsparta2019fridaymealmar14.thumb.jpg.234a06445cbbcb0a94edfb6cd4984b2a.jpg

As of March 14:

725679122_attendingMar14.thumb.jpg.355eff7ad5a36b96f211d8daa8eba3d5.jpg

Edited by Indy Dave
Updated lists as of March 14

Anyone riding up from the Atlanta (or other locales with Atl between or beyond) want to ride up on Wed ??  I prefer to not do the interstates unless necessary.

Lowndes

• Like 3

Spring is here, START is just around the decreasing radius curve.

While you're making and working through your Spring Check List for your bike, don't forget to take a minute to cover your payment for Friday's START Group Meal. $15.99 paypal to:startfarting@gmail.com   Please be sure to use the friend option. For full details, see the first post on page 1 of this thread or click the link:

https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/89336-spring-tune-up-appalachian-riding-tour-start-sparta-nc-april-24-28/

737837173_reserveddinnerstartsparta2019fridaymealmar21b.thumb.jpg.46dbb1b2abd00de3103ed57becedc0ae.jpg

Edited by Indy Dave
Added Link; updated list
1 hour ago, Chris K said:

Dave, thanks for the reminder. Payment sent for Joel and I. 

Thanks Chris - list updated!

Hello Everyone,

We're one month out from getting together in Sparta :thumbsup:

You'll find the GPX and GDB files of the routes for START 2019 Sparta here.

As always, recalculate the routes you intend to ride in your software and make sure the mileage remains very close to the original distance before loading to your GPS. My Preference settings and maps may be different than yours.

Also, please don't forget to pay for your Friday night meal so we can let the caterers know how many to prepare for. 

I look forward to seeing everyone in Sparta.

• Like 4
steve.foote

It is with great regret that I must cancel.  Hopefully I'll have better control over my schedule this fall.  Have fun!

• Sad 3
3 hours ago, RightSpin said:

It is with great regret that I must cancel.  Hopefully I'll have better control over my schedule this fall.  Have fun!

Have you been consorting with Bud?!? :rofl::read: 

We'll miss you in person in Sparta, but I'm sure your name will come up plenty of times during START! :wave:

• Like 1
On 2/26/2019 at 3:31 PM, Bernie said:

Tic tax, tic tac!

How much longer!:5223:

Getting much closer!

vlcsnap-2019-03-27-23h18m25s101.thumb.png.78c13fb3c05288be6b347f1203478781.png

vlcsnap-2019-03-27-23h18m46s031.thumb.png.47478207c4329967298596747bb0b8bf.png

vlcsnap-2019-03-27-23h18m56s882.thumb.png.b59cdee5e60634b0b066d2b271d16456.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well, I'm afraid I have to downgrade to a "maybe"  I got a jury summons for 4/22.  If I'm selected, I probably won't be able to make it.  But if I'm not, then I'll definitely be there!

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, brianh70 said:

Well, I'm afraid I have to downgrade to a "maybe"  I got a jury summons for 4/22.  If I'm selected, I probably won't be able to make it.  But if I'm not, then I'll definitely be there!

Brian - While  I know you would be a great juror - my hope is that you'll not be needed and you can once again join us. You've been beset by schedule conflicts that kept you away for all of 2018, surly the Riding Gods will see that you've paid you dues to society and allow you to rejoin us.

On 3/29/2019 at 5:37 PM, Indy Dave said:

Brian - While  I know you would be a great juror - my hope is that you'll not be needed and you can once again join us. You've been beset by schedule conflicts that kept you away for all of 2018, surly the Riding Gods will see that you've paid you dues to society and allow you to rejoin us.

Thanks, Dave.  We'll see how it goes.

• Like 1

No Fooling! Remember to send your Friday Meal Money! As always, up to the minute details on START are always on the first post of the thread, as well as being posted in the ongoing thread.

1626284677_reserveddinnerstartsparta2019fridaymealApr1.thumb.jpg.a819a7bcedff966c366dc9b1d4ea2e19.jpg

1335182205_attendingApr1.thumb.jpg.8052ea0ca5a1f90ba493e557c7953606.jpg

Finally changed my reservation to arriving Friday.  Terri and I are really looking forward to even our short visit with you folks. Looking forward to meeting the new attendees.  

• Like 3

Ok, slight update...

I'm going to be the super early arrival and get there Tuesday evening by the looks of it. I've got to leave early, but will have a little bit of time to hang out and ride. 

• Like 2

We're 3 weeks out...You have the routes, the meal information, and now is a good time to make sure your tires have enough tread for the great roads near Sparta. :5210:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Kinsley said:

We're 3 weeks out...You have the routes, the meal information, and now is a good time to make sure your tires have enough tread for the great roads near Sparta. :5210:

Mark convinced me that I don't have enough tread for the full week of riding we are planning for START.  I received today a set of Continental ContiTrail Attack 3s that I'll put on prior to the trip. :thumbsup:

• Like 2
On 4/4/2019 at 11:38 AM, Matts_12GS said:

Ok, slight update...

I'm going to be the super early arrival and get there Tuesday evening by the looks of it. I've got to leave early, but will have a little bit of time to hang out and ride. 

Looking forward to seeing you and the new bike, Matt! :thumbsup::bike:

1771770553_attendingApr4.thumb.jpg.bde5e0566543d880727030d4629d3fba.jpg

As of Apr 5:

1783500827_reserveddinnerstartsparta2019fridaymealApr5.thumb.jpg.d0b3e8260928960d62461ed96282d2e5.jpg

Edited by Indy Dave
Apr 5 update

Thanks Brian - meal money received! We look forward to seeing you!

!!ADMINISTRIVIA!!

We're 11 days out from the Friday START meal deadline. :bike: Are you busy getting you bike ready?  :bike: So are we! Please do not wait till the last minute :old:! Take a minute and take care of it now - if your plans change between now and the 19th, you get you money back. If your plans change after the 19th, no guarantee, but I'll try to get you money back!

Here's the info:

2143172471_mealannostartsparta2019fridaymealrev3.thumb.jpg.8b8fe665675cd29856494616b8f83422.jpg

• Like 1

Haven't seen this one in the thread yet.  Appears the Laconia Ale Works  http://www.laconiaaleworks.com/  is perhaps 200 feet away from the hotel.  The website lacked some details so I dropped them a line.

Their response:

.....We have indoor seating for at least 40 people and also an outdoor patio. 
We actually have several of our beers on tap along with domestic beers, wine, cider & a liquor bar (which reminds me I need to update our website!). We currently have the Sparta Pale, Audie Ale, 2 kinds of porters, easy drinking lighter beers- session ipa, Laconia red, an alt- ale, etc. 
On Wednesday nights $1 off drafts, Thursday nights we have team trivia, Friday night we have live music by Andrew Massey, playing some great acoustic tunes, along with FRESH oysters for Buck a Shuck Oyster night! 
The only food we are currently selling are bratwursts the other nights of the week. 

Mmmm Cider!

Yes Ed, that looks like a nice addition to Sparta! We considered having our group meal - but the limited seating was a no STARTer.

Edited by Indy Dave

Dave,  hadn't checked in here for quite some time... sorry to report that I'm not going to make this one afterall.  Hope everyone has a fabulous START to the riding season.

Sorry  Shannon that we will not see you!   Perhaps we should have a thumbs down button next to the "like" heart responses.

I'm not sure what the hotel status is like but about a week ago I changed from a 4 night stay to a 2 night stay ... arriving Wed. and leaving on Friday so there may be a Fri & Sat night room open with 2 doubles on the first floor.  Just thought I would mention it. 

• Like 1

Thanks Ed; and Barry - I'm looking forward to seeing the K1300GT!

It's been a busy day here in Indy, but thank you to the ones who remitted payment today for the Friday Group Meal. I'll update this list in the morning. :18:

:5147:  We're less than a week from the deadline for our meal.:14: Please get registered for dinner (if you haven't already done so) and let's knock this out over the weekend. Meal and payment details are list a few posts above or on the first page.

Thanks!

2135848443_reserveddinnerstartsparta2019fridaymealApr12.thumb.jpg.7542dc1b8cd1f0d1b34804cd2520562a.jpg

1916172650_attendingApr12.thumb.jpg.c55fbb6eaf370774386242cbbec39605.jpg

• Like 1
OldBMWMaster

Barbie cannot make it this year; her employer cancelled all vacation because of a huge Spring sale.  I will be there Thursday...just sent my money for Friday dinner.  

• Like 1
On 4/4/2019 at 11:38 AM, Matts_12GS said:

Ok, slight update...

Just like that, the fickle winds of relocation strike. Ashley and I are out for this time around. We'll most likely see everyone at Cedar Key or next spring...

• Sad 1