IGNORED

Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) Sparta, NC April 24-28

Indy Dave

About the "going" feature.

1) This is a test only and is not and should not be considered a substitute for indicating you're either attending or canceling here in the thread, as this has been and will continue to be the preferred and official way to communicate you current attending status. 

2) For this test, the best and quickest way to find the "going" button, is to select "START" from the upcoming events on the left RIGHT side of the main page.

734946122_Screenshot_2019-01-20BMWSportTouringevents.thumb.png.532080530eb77fbe1f04ea5fac702579.png

• Like 1

I'ma gonna say this.  I'll try to make this event, not likely I'll be staying in Sparta since I live roughly an hour away, I'd ride up each day, which would be no different than riding to work (just different direction).  If'n anyone runs into issues, I have a couple of trucks, a trailer, straps and I know how to use all of them.  I've got plenty of storage space if a bike gets too broke and it can be held for a while.  I have some tools that can do many repairs.  So the offer is there if'n anyone needs it.

Great great! Makes perfect sense. Others have done the same.

Speaking of tools, I was asked if anyone would have a tire changer in Sparta. Is that an option?

9 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Great great! Makes perfect sense. Others have done the same.

Speaking of tools, I was asked if anyone would have a tire changer in Sparta. Is that an option?

I've got the spoons to change both tires and a balancer (front tire only).  As long as the old and new tire are warm, it's 10-15 minutes,....cold tires, .......well, that's tool throwing time.

On 1/22/2019 at 7:08 AM, Living the Dream said:

I've got the spoons to change both tires and a balancer (front tire only).  As long as the old and new tire are warm, it's 10-15 minutes,....cold tires, .......well, that's tool throwing time.

Richard, Thanks. It never hurts to have options for the unexpected tire issue.

On 1/21/2019 at 11:12 AM, RightSpin said:

The 'Spin is in!  Arriving the 25th.

Spin To Win! :thumbsup::yes:

1499587318_attendingJan23.thumb.jpg.da2a25bd096c9c959d4076e4d4237914.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Indy Dave and other distinguished members.  Just wondering if this new member is welcome on this ride?  I really enjoyed and learned a lot on the FART ride 2018.  Maybe I can get Scott to go with me.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, PhilB said:

Hello Indy Dave and other distinguished members.  Just wondering if this new member is welcome on this ride?  I really enjoyed and learned a lot on the FART ride 2018.  Maybe I can get Scott to go with me.

Hi Phil - We enjoyed having you! You're welcome to join us, of course! If Scott (aka 6th gear) does come along, go easy on him this time so his Triumph will make it home in one piece! :16:  :3:  Just let us know when you plan to arrive. We will announce the meal details about 6 weeks out and Kinsely will have route info posted about a month before the event. Hope you can make it, Phil!

ADMINISTRIVIA:

Rooms Remaining at the Alleghany Inn (336-372-2501)

Non-Smoking:

7 x 2 dbl beds

1 x 1qn Fri & Sat Only* (*might be possible to shake the room free for additional nights)

Smoking:

4 x 2 full

1 x 1Kg

1 x 1qn

We're 10 weeks out, make your plans now if you haven't already!

190411245_2019STARTSpartaNC3smallerlogostillrev.thumb.jpg.35ea990440ec5a4fbde33eeac9b6a79e.jpg

1948200272_2019STARTSpartaNCeventsrev2b.thumb.jpg.869dd1bc51ed16f50bbaf871819f5eb6.jpg

323446646_attendingFeb23.thumb.jpg.d37abc7b899e9199730e08ff13d42498.jpg

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Foot said:

Wednesday for me not Thursday:4607:

Foot - Thanks for pointing that out. My notes have you done for Wed, so why I didn't get the (now fixed) slide correct is the 18th wonder of the world. :ohboy::4617:

giphy.gif.0dbecb83623008c848f6b1e3b9879429.gif

Edited by Indy Dave

I am trailering part way to START.  ideally I need a safe place somewhere along I-40 between East Asheville, and Marion, NC.  to store my truck and trailer.  If anyone lives in that area and will let me leave my truck and trailer at their home it would be greatly appreciated.  Please PM me.  thank you.

my  basic  route is I-85 to Spartanburg then 26 West to Asheville then I-40 to I-77 to Alleghany Inn.

However my route is flexible if someone has a safe place to store my truck and trailer. 

thanks and please PM me if you have an opportunity for me.

Sweet sassy molassy! Great William, looking forward to meeting you and Laura. I just hope Bernie, Ken,Terry and company don't scare you off at lunch next month. :3:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
4 hours ago, Indy Scott said:

I am in, arrive TH, go home Sunday.  Cheers!

That right there - That's a WORTHY First Post!! :18:

The Triumph Triumphantly Returns! :bike:

I was introduced to Scott some years ago when he had a R1150RT and our buddy Jerry (who had a Honda ST1300 at the time) thought Scott and I should get together since we had BMW's. Since then, Scott's had all manor of bikes including a K1300GT, etc etc. Scott and I used our powers :4296: to get Jerry into a R1200RTW and another buddy - Donnie. All of us were together for the Clean Living Hoosiers™ Colorado trip a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

Good Idea, Phil! Kinsley and I have added you to the list of usual suspects, and we look forward to seeing you ! :5210:

• Like 2

Good News! The Alleghany Inn has added more rooms to our block!

Available Rooms as of today:

5 Non-Smoking rooms with 2 double beds

1 first floor with 2 queen beds in conference center

6 Smoking rooms available that are outside our block.

Remember, our block is released on April 5th and they DO have a waiting list of non BMWST folks, so a word to the wise - make your reservation if you've not already done so!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Good News! The Alleghany Inn has added more rooms to our block!

Available Rooms as of today:

5 Non-Smoking rooms with 2 double beds

1 first floor with 2 queen beds in conference center

6 Smoking rooms available that are outside our block.

Remember, our block is released on April 5th and they DO have a waiting list of non BMWST folks, so a word to the wise - make your reservation if you've not already done so!

That does not sound very private.  I am picturing 2 beds surrounded by tables, chairs, and a video conference screen.  

Just sayin'

On a serious note, does booking the room through another _______.com website allow for "the block of rooms" set aside for BMWST?  Or will that show them as not available?   Guessing the need to make the reservation directly  with the hotel?

........enquiring minds.......

haha. Hi William - The conference center is the newer annex of the hotel, and that section is referred to as "The Conference Center". There are a limited number of rooms there. The majority of the rooms are in the U shaped area, shown in the second photo.

1147312998_Screenshot_2019-03-01alleghanyinnspartanc-GoogleSearch.png.463563e95c507ac1524f0a0f469560a9.png

1719597643_Screenshot_2019-03-01alleghanyinnspartanc2-GoogleSearch.thumb.jpg.2ad68abb23e6f5d043683eab5dd724d6.jpg

Our block will not be reflected in third party websites, you can call (336) 372-2501 - which is probably best for the most accurate room information and requests, or you can use their online web portal that's linked on their website: http://www.alleghanyinn.com/

Be sure to use our group code: BMWST2

Please let me know if you have any issues!

• Like 1

Pre-START/SPRING Bump! It's never too early to think about how you ride and brushing up on your skill set. One thing many of us can take for granted is stopping.  As pmdave points out, in panic or emergency situations, we generally revert to what we know, or rather, practice. Braking practice is important,  yet it can be easy to overlook (or decide you don't need to practice 'cause you put the Zip in Zippy...[ input your own favorite excuse that plays up your skill and experience to offset something so remedial as brake practice]. Often, we jump on our bike and go! We're trying to squeeze in a ride or heading off with buddies. I've found that I must intentionally make a point to practice braking and low speed skills. Either I gear up and just do these things, or I will make time before the ride for braking and generally, I'll allow enough time on the tail of my ride to practice low speed maneuvers.  In riding season, I will do both of these at least once a month. Find what works for you.

I encourage you to take some time to read through this thread, even if you've read it previously. It doesn't matter if this is Back To The Basics  for some, or a first time through - there's a take away for everyone here!

• Like 2

OK it looks like I will have to relinquish my BMWST lifetime membership. I've been informed that our granddaughter's university Grandparents Weekend is the same as START. It appears that grandfather duties trump everything else.

From now on, I'm not saying I will be at any BMWST event, simply show up if I make it, otherwise I'm OUT of everything. :dopeslap:

• Haha 2

Bud - Sounds like you have a great reason to be absent! Make sure you get your note signed by Kinsely :wave:. Or.... you could come and FACETIME the graduation.  :computer:  :computer:

Work commitment strikes again!  But at least we're still IN. Just had to cut the trip short. I'll be in TX to attend a customer audit through Thurs.

So we wont arrive until Friday now. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
44 minutes ago, TyTass said:

Work commitment strikes again!  But at least we're still IN. Just had to cut the trip short. I'll be in TX to attend a customer audit through Thurs.

So we wont arrive until Friday now. 

Glad you can make it.  It will be great to see you again.  Is Terry coming too?

15 hours ago, Foot said:

New Shocks Check, front tire back from Woodies Wheels Check. Tires, Oops I need order tires :4607:

Foot - Thanks for the reminder! It's not too early to START looking over your bike and prepping it for START and the coming (or continuing for you Southerners) riding season! There are some tire rebates going on, so it's a great time to think about what your needs are!

Mike - Great that you and Dyanne can join us again!!

OldBMWMaster - Tough choices!! :rofl: Glad you can be with us!

Craig - Thanks for the update, and it'll be great to see if Friday!

On 3/7/2019 at 7:24 PM, ltljohn said:

Glad you can make it.  It will be great to see you again.  Is Terry coming too?

Well, as of a few days ago ... no ... Terri got a new job, one she was hoping for since moving to the ATL area. She starts the first week of April. 

So I'll be there Friday afternoon solo, and with new shocks.

• Like 3

ADMINISTRIVIA!

Thursday and Friday night meal information.

1060158493_socialhourannoncement2019startspartarev2.thumb.jpg.c4e3a8ccc3774be5e1fc91b35986f74e.jpg

2143172471_mealannostartsparta2019fridaymealrev3.thumb.jpg.8b8fe665675cd29856494616b8f83422.jpg

343799658_attendingMar12.thumb.jpg.147a85e3f159a7e13aa65a9f5d6876b7.jpg

1289590503_reserveddinnerstartsparta2019fridaymealmar13.thumb.jpg.c77bd7b495d65080fe8fe54f55b602cc.jpg

Edited by Indy Dave
updated slides
  • Like 1
On 3/7/2019 at 9:14 PM, Foot said:

New Shocks Check, front tire back from Woodies Wheels Check. Tires, Oops I need order tires :4607:

On 3/9/2019 at 1:46 PM, TyTass said:

So I'll be there Friday afternoon solo, and with new shocks.

I hope you guys didn't max out Endobob's Credit Card! We need it for Endobob's Pizza Extravaganza!!  :eat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I take it that the price for the dinner is per person, correct?

By making the payment by the deadline, is that considered making the reservation?

Thanks for allowing newbie questions on your coveted thread.

• Like 1

Good questions, William! :5223:

• Yes, $16.99 per person.
  • Paying for your meal makes your reservation.
  • Payment IS refundable until 3pm Friday, April 19th.

• Like 1

Just an update .... Don Miller and I will be arriving on Wednesday and leaving on Friday.

But do want to participate in the Thursday night Pizza Extravaganza :-)  

Happy to contribute towards the pizza and the "adult beverages" :18:

• Like 1

Perfect Ed! :thumbsup: Endobob Puts on a great Pizza Party! :eat:  :lick: 

1289590503_reserveddinnerstartsparta2019fridaymealmar13.thumb.jpg.c77bd7b495d65080fe8fe54f55b602cc.jpg

Edited by Indy Dave
updated slide

And it appears there is an ABC Store 3/10 of a mile from the Allegheny Inn :clap:

Assume there is a local establishment selling cold beer as well.   What a great country! :4907:

• Like 1