IGNORED

GPS and B2B?

Twisties

So I've had the new Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-S since Tuesday now, learning to use it, getting it mounted and wired to the bike, learning BaseCamp. I've got the routes for the trip to Torrey all set. I've got the smartphone software in place and paired to the Zumo. I've got the headset receiver in place and paired to the Zumo and the smartphone.

With all of this fancy shmancy communication set up... I get real-time traffic and weather on my route via the smartphone (at least if the phone has a data signal, anyway) and music from my phone will play through the Zumo, allowing it to be controlled by the Zumo (I haven't tried this yet since it also plays directly from the phone), and I can send addresses and poi from the phone to the Zumo. Wow!

Leaves me wondering, with the Zumo functioning almost as an integrator, why Garmin (or other gps manufacturers) haven't built in B2B (voice communication through a pair of GPS on two different bikes). I also wonder why, for all this functionality, I need to turn on location in my phone and run two gps's simultaneously... eg why can't the Garmin app get my position from the Zumo?

Leaves me wondering, with the Zumo functioning almost as an integrator, why Garmin (or other gps manufacturers) haven't built in B2B (voice communication through a pair of GPS on two different bikes).

I had the same thought back with the 600 when they upgraded the Bluetooth. Maybe one possible reason is it they feel it gets too bulky when mechanically and electronically integrating the radio functions.

It would be nice though since I'd think having most of the functions on a bike powered device would mean the headset should last longer on battery power.

On the other hand, if Garmin did integrate, it could potentially shut down a whole segment of the competitive market for B2B which might not be good leaving only one vendor, Garmin, standing.

Thanks John, Yes, that tutorial got me going. I still need to finish it, but I am getting the basics now. Need to understand the file structure better so I don't make a huge mess.

Jan,

I know your set-up is different from mine but I dive-in anyway. Not to offer remedies but to let you hear what many of us have as a set-up. (in case some of it might offer useful thoughts- but maybe not).

Since my set-up is on the Wethead bike- with its BMW integrated system- I basically have three "things" (pardon the technical terms) working together. The bike's audio system is integrated with the GPS. This means the bike AM/FM/Sirius radio can send output via the speakers or via B/T to my Sena headset on the helmet. (But not both at the same time. It's either Speakers or B/T.)

The GPS is paired to the Sena headset for navigation prompts/directions.

The iPhone is paired to the GPS for incoming and outgoing telephone...

Just as a point of comparison....