IGNORED

Uhhhh....no

twistyguy

Joe Frickin' Friday

Reminded me of

in which his brake lever was inadvertently pressed by a competitor's bike, sending McWilliams somersaulting over the bars and testing his race leathers. Thankfully he slid to a stop rather than tumbling, but man that was a long slide.

Wasn't that a favorite tactic of legendary racer Gary Nixon, back in the 60's? I remember him admitting as such in an interview (maybe Cycle Magazine) with a smile on how he used to initiate (and intimidate) rookie riders.

Maybe back then all was fair in war and perhaps racing. :)

Saw that on You Tube the other day and was amazed that it did result in a crash. Those bikes are twitchy enough under braking by the rider expecting it, but the brake unexpectedly grabbed is another thing. Manzi's initial response was to back off of full throttle and stiffen his arms a bit in a WTF is happening moment, but he quickly realized what had happened and returned to WFO throttle and that may have been what stopped a tank slapper crash.

I worked at a Kawi dealer in the way back days and from time to time we would have two or more used KX 80s on the floor which resulted in a few parking lot flat track races after closing...A kill switch flip was a known passing tactic, but it was expected and on bikes with super stable steering geometry. In all that horse play it never once was considered to be done to an unwitting rider.

Now my brother would race up beside me while we were riding snowmobiles up in Maine (big trails) and tap the kill switch on my machine just for fun.

The racer that did that deserves a butt kicking! Come to think of it my brother did too, but he's big. :rofl:

Pat

Flipping kill switches is a time-honored way of welcoming a rookie to road racing. In flat track, you can reach out with your right foot and tap the other guy's shift lever, usually coming out of a corner so you can get more drive. Bumping guys into hay bales is another tradition, something I've had done to me and I've returned the favor on. We were on 125cc bikes at the time, and the only thing that happened was the person ended up sprawled over the hay bale. I was also told that if I decided to ram someone to get them out of my way, to hit them in front of their foot pegs, because if you hit them behind their pegs you'll go down. Mini flat track is full of this stuff, and you just have to laugh it off and look for a good opportunity to return the favor. I've never grabbed someone else's brake lever, though.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Now my brother would race up beside me while we were riding snowmobiles up in Maine (big trails) and tap the kill switch on my machine just for fun.

One better:

:grin: