IGNORED

Age is creeping up...

Twisties

The black plastic covers at the top of the front fork tubes on our RTs are disintegrating and falling away. I assume these things have some purpose, but for the life of me I can't imagine what. At this time I have no plans to replace these as it looks to be a major operation. But if someone were to convince me they are needed, that would be different.

When we replaced headlamp bulbs, one of the black plastic connector/insulator modules disintegrated. We just plugged the bare connectors to the spade lugs on the bulb. So far it's working. The only metal I can see potentially making contact would be the wire bulb clips.

I wonder if others are seeing these failures, and what other failures we should be looking for as these bikes age.

Edited by Twisties
The black plastic cover at the top of the front fork tubes on our RTs are disintegrating and falling away. I assume these things have some purpose, but for the life of me I can't imagine what. At this time I have no plans to replace these as it looks to be a major operation. But if someone were to convince me they are needed, that would be different.

When we replaced headlamp bulbs, one of the black plastic connector/insulator modules disintegrated. We just plugged the bare connectors to the spade lugs on the bulb. So far it's working. The only metal I can see potentially making contact would be the wire bulb clips.

I wonder if others are seeing these failures, and what other failures we should be looking for as these bikes age.

The headlight plastic thingys turning to dust is quite common. Surprised yours lasted this long! No idea about the other.

When I sold my '07 RT, both headlamp clips had disintegrated. I solved the problem the same way you did. Those plastic covers on the fork tubes were still looking good though. Aren't they just "dust covers"?

Edited by Groanup