IGNORED

R1200RT lowered suspension?

keithlp

Hello. I just bought a 2009 R1200RT and am very pleased with it except for the seat height. It has the one piece low seat but can do little more than tiptoe it. The seller bought it used from a dealer and was told it had the lowered suspension but I don't think it does. Ground clearance measured at the oil pan is six inches which is what non lowered RT is. I would appreciate it if someone with a lowered RT could measure their ground clearance so I would get an idea about how much I would gain by switching to a shorter spring. Thanks for any help or suggestions anyone has. I do have boots that have a thicker sole which work very well but it would be nice to have it lower so I wouldn't have to change shoes whenever I want to go for a short ride or to ride to work.

I don't have a measurement to report on my lowered 06 RT (sorry, can't hold bike upright and measure ground clearance at the same time), but a few words of advice from someone who lowered their RT...

First, understand that lowering springs are a BIG compromise. The ride will be MUCH firmer (ie. harsh) and you get that extra leg room at the expense total suspension travel - you may bottom out on big bumps.

Second, when you lower the bike, you also need to shorten the side stand, and center stand. There won't be enough lean angle on the stock side stand for stability, and it will take Herculean effort to get the bike onto the stock center stand. BMW sells shorter stands, but like most BMW parts, they're stupidly bloody expensive. I had a local machine shop / welder shorten mine for considerably cheaper!

If you're OK with all that, then go for it! I used HyperPro lowering springs, which brought my seat height down about 25mm to help accommodate my stubby legs. They are a temporary solution, until I can squirrel away enough $$$ to get new lowered shocks AND springs (going with Tractive from BeemerShop). At 12 years old, my stock shocks are WELL past their "best before" date...

I also use the low seat in the low position. Your 1-piece seat is 'extra' low, I believe. I can't flat foot both feet at the same time (totally flat if one foot down), but I'm solidly on the balls of both feet when stopped. Slopes, gravel, and backing up can still pose challenges, so I'm always on alert when stopping or parking.

I lowered mine using hyperpro springs from motorworks, hasn't affected the bike at all handling wise and I have a lot more confidence when the bike is stationary. Aside from changing the springs I haven't had to alter anything else, the springs are variable rate to compensate for being shorter. Mines a 2005 r1200rt

Thanks for the info. I'll probably go for the lowering springs sometime this winter. I don't think the stands will be any problem. I put a rubber pad that is about 3/4 inch on the sidestand because it leaned over a lot and was hard to push upright sometimes. I would like to get a better seat or have the one I have reworked.I don't imagine any aftermarket seat will be any lower but it would certainly be a lot more comfortable than the BMW low seat.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably go for the lowering springs sometime this winter. I don't think the stands will be any problem. I put a rubber pad that is about 3/4 inch on the sidestand because it leaned over a lot and was hard to push upright sometimes. I would like to get a better seat or have the one I have reworked.I don't imagine any aftermarket seat will be any lower but it would certainly be a lot more comfortable than the BMW low seat.

Sargent makes a low seat that is a half inch lower and is all day comfortable. Sargent Seats.

I had one on my 1150RT and it was great.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 29" inseam and have a 2008 RT. Am using the one piece seat, highly modified and gel pad, and lowered the suspension, both, front and rear,

using Tractive and thru the Beemer Shop. I believe the bike suits me just fine right now. Keep in mind that by lowering the bike, you will HAVE to shorten

both stands! If not, the side stand will be almost useless, and the center stand very hard to use.

A few years ago I installed a set of Wilburs lowered 20mm, purchased from the Beemer Shop, on my 2013. Resting it on the side stand was precarious. I purchased the pen unit for a lowered RT and it works fine. The center stand works fine but if the bags are loaded it is a struggle to raise so I find myself using the side stand most of the time unless I'm parked overnight or longer.

I had a set of Wilbers installed on my wife's 2008 R1200RT; they work great including ESA . You can select the weights for single rider, with luggage and with 2 riders. Had to shorten the side stand and should shorten the center stand. To see how Wilbers will work for you, place a 2X4 on each side of the MC and put your feet on them (like lowering ~1.5"). My wife is 5'4"

• 10 months later...

Rather than start a new thread, I'll add on to this as I have the same issue.  Love the bike, a 2009 R12RT, but even with the lowered seat, it's still a bit high, especially if I'm trying to maneuver in a parking lot or worse, someplace with loose gravel.

Is the only option a set of lower shocks?  Bike has ESA.  Looks like price of shocks alone is about 1200 and thats not installed.  I can handle getting the side stand and center stand shortened, what else needs to be done? 

22 hours ago, EvilTwin said:

Is the only option a set of lower shocks?

Lowering springs are an option, and are significantly cheaper (<$300) - but it comes at the expense of decreased overall suspension travel and (in my experience) an excessively harsh ride.

22 hours ago, EvilTwin said:

I can handle getting the side stand and center stand shortened, what else needs to be done? 

Nothing really, except preparing yourself for even MORE enjoyable rides ;)

1 hour ago, Qball 16 said:

Lowering springs are an option, and are significantly cheaper (<$300) - but it comes at the expense of decreased overall suspension travel and (in my experience) an excessively harsh ride.

The Hyperpro springs that I see advertised  are progressive so that would reduce the suspension travel but aren't they designed to be more compressible initially and then stiffer toward the bottom of the travel?  

Nothing really, except preparing yourself for even MORE enjoyable rides ;)

The Hyperpro springs that I see advertised  are progressive so that would reduce the suspension travel but aren't they designed to be more compressible initially and then stiffer toward the bottom of the travel?   I would think that would keep the ride from being harsh for most of the time and then get tight over just large bumps.

I'm probably in the same boat as a lot of other people, this bike is easy to ride once you get going, but can be a handful in a parking lot or uneven ground or when there's gravel afoot.

4 hours ago, EvilTwin said:

The Hyperpro springs that I see advertised  are progressive so that would reduce the suspension travel but aren't they designed to be more compressible initially and then stiffer toward the bottom of the travel?   I would think that would keep the ride from being harsh for most of the time and then get tight over just large bumps.

I'm probably in the same boat as a lot of other people, this bike is easy to ride once you get going, but can be a handful in a parking lot or uneven ground or when there's gravel afoot.

They are certainly advertised that way, but it wasn't my experience with them at all.  Very firm from the start, ramping up to uncomfortably hard on bumps - so hard I couldn't be sure if I was bottoming out the shock travel or not...

Full Disclosure:  My build is a 'special' combination of short AND wide, so maybe I was using up all the softer/progressive spring travel as sag :classic_blush:

• 1 month later...

I spoke with Casey at Ted Porters shop today.  For my '09 RT they would either use Tracktive shocks that have built in ESA motors and reuse the preload motor off the rear.  That price is about 1600 give or take, probably give.  They also can use Wilbers which will need the old ESA motors as well as the preload motor on the rear.  That price is around 1300.   Both would require me to send in the old shocks.  Since the bike is a bit shy of 30K, it's probably due new shocks anyway.  He also recommended not going more than a 25 mm drop.  He didn't recommend going with progressive springs, said that the suspension design, especially the rear wasn't designed for a progressive spring and that they tended to be a harsher ride.  

If I do go ahead with this, it will probably be over the winter.   Does anybody know of other sources for shocks or lowered suspension components?

Experience with progressive springs on earlier non-BMW's has taught me to avoid them. With 30" inseam and factory low suspension, I have no issues with harsh ride; can't report on two-up, as that is not going to happen except in emergencies. Don't know parts #'s, but both stands are well-suited to the height. 

Bike also has the one-piece low seat; it's OK but not great. Can anyone advise whether GS seats from the same year fit? There seem to be more of those on the used market. 

A surprising advantage of riding lower is that the bike is very easy to maneuver on unpaved surfaces. I just cruised some gnarly WV logging roads last week and never even took a boot off the peg. With a little practice, you can keep the revs down around 1000 in first and 1500 in 2nd - without danger of stalling.

Good to know there are options for lower shocks; my bike is non-ESA, so I guess that means the upgrade will be cheaper. At 22k the oem's still feel pretty good. As ever, YMMV...

NoKick90