IGNORED

Oil Leak

dave_a

1999 R1100R has a slight leak off the front left side of the engine. Cleaned her off, sprayed some white powder on gaskets and other likely areas. Took a short, 20 mph ride to warm it up.

Here's my smoking gun - the oil sight glass. Been reading here about some of the dire implications of ignoring this.

Going to various body parts of the Dragon in a couple weeks with wifey on the back.. Is it wise to fix this prior? Been a minor leak for a while, stable in the amount of oil loss.

Understand it can be a bit tricky to install. Any tips or write ups on a DYI? Not sure if my picture attached to post.

Boneyard or dealer only part?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

7010.thumb.jpg.5c3a31f9431de7423cf0a5b7f4e68801.jpg

1999 R1100R has a slight leak off the front left side of the engine. Cleaned her off, sprayed some white powder on gaskets and other likely areas. Took a short, 20 mph ride to warm it up.

Here's my smoking gun - the oil sight glass. Been reading here about some of the dire implications of ignoring this.

Going to various body parts of the Dragon in a couple weeks with wifey on the back.. Is it wise to fix this prior? Been a minor leak for a while, stable in the amount of oil loss.

Understand it can be a bit tricky to install. Any tips or write ups on a DYI? Not sure if my picture attached to post.

Boneyard or dealer only part?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Afternoon Dave

The somewhat good news is that it doesn't seem to be seeping around the perimeter (a perimeter leak almost guarantees the sight glass with blow out in the future).

The bad news is: a sight glass leak is serious-- (not if, but when) that darn thing pops out then you are dead in the water, & putting a sight glass in on the side of the road is WAY/WAY/WAY more difficult than doing it at home with proper tools.

If you intend to ride that bike like that then at least pick up an expandable rubber freeze plug of the proper size to stick in the hole when your sight glass blows out on the road somewhere.

I can't tell for sure from the picture but it looks like you might still have one of the original plastic lens sight glass's. Those are not too bad to remove as you can heat a nail & force it through the plastic lens then pry the old sight glass out.

The problems are in dealing with the newer glass-lens sight glass's as those are very difficult to remove without breaking the glass & having glass shards end up inside the crankcase.

The glass lens sight glass's are also a real pain to install without breaking the glass lens driving it in.

The proper way to remove & install the glass lens ones is to use the BMW special cutter for removal & special pusher for installation.

If you have the old plastic lens sight glass then getting it out is no big deal you just have to be ultra careful in driving the new one in. If you break a sight glass or two during installation then you more than offset the cost of dealer installation.

You need to use a lubricant to install the new lens BUT it needs to be a lubricant that evaporates without leaving a film of slick material or the new lens can pop out while riding. Manual calls for using brake clean as a lubricant but that evaporates so fast that a person needs to very proficient at installing the new sight glass quickly or it evaporates before the sight glass is pushed all the way in. Windex also works as a lubricant but lasts longer so gives more working time.

Personally, I'd change it or have it done. I bought two just in case I broke it while installing mine. I used an x-acto knife and whittled away the rubber and removed mine. Installation was a snap. I just used a very light oil and made darn sure that I was pushing it in straight.

Second option is buy some Ultra Black Permatex silicone RTV, thoroughly clean everything around the sight glass and liberally paint around it effectively gluing it in. I wouldn't hesitate to use this method either.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks guys - one more dumb question: Installation of new goes in the CC as an assembly, right?

Not rubber first, then glass? Use a large socket or similar to push it all into place.

I'm sure it'll be obvious when the boneyard one shows up.

D

Thanks guys - one more dumb question: Installation of new goes in the CC as an assembly, right?

Not rubber first, then glass? Use a large socket or similar to push it all into place.

I'm sure it'll be obvious when the boneyard one shows up.

D

Evening Dave

Yes, it goes in as a one piece unit (that is the way it comes). Be very careful using a socket to drive it in as the glass lens extends way out to near the edge so if you use a socket that doesn't drive on the very outboard edge you risk breaking the glass lens.

Also, be careful about what lube you use as BMW has a service bulletin on not using a lubricant as they say that risks the lens working out in use.

rj83c32.jpg

Also, be careful about what lube you use as BMW has a service bulletin on not using a lubricant as they say that risks the lens working out in use.

I used spit.

Look at my horse

My horse is amazing

Give him a lick

He tastes just like raisins!

So after the bike sat for a day or two, I see that the base gasket is seeping. That is likely where the majority of oil is coming from that accumulates on the stands and pipe as it blows aft. The leak is only a drip or two on the floor after a ride. Never have to add oil. Its live-able but not right.

Previously I've tightened all the small 6mm bolts. So its time for a cylinder head bolt re-torque before any major R&R. Any tips? Percentage of success predictions?

dave