IGNORED

2019 Spring Torrey May 16-20th

• 3 weeks later...
RandyShields

I can't explain how excited I am about this event and the ride there.  Three weeks and counting to departure.  The K1600 GT has new tires, a new battery, fresh front brake pads and final drive fluid.  I will be completing a long-time desire of finishing a ride through the lower 48 on the way to Torrey and back (I think the desire dates to "Then Came Bronson" days which many of you will remember since Kinsley's recent poll confirms that we are old.)  Yes, some states will just be clipped to be official, but others will get a full workout.  Looking forward to riding solo for part of the trip, as well as visiting and riding with many of the western state members that I haven't yet met.  Also, visiting and crashing with friends and family along the way.  The total trip mileage will be just a bit over 9,000 miles door to door, and will let me check off 27 states.  Got a tiny little Canon Elph camera to try to and match the quality of the scenery we've bees seeing on Whip's Colorado posts.  Now, just have to figure out the technology.  3 square inch camera: 143 page user manual!  Go figure.

Randy

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
chrisolson

Sadly, I'm out .  There will be a regular room and the small room above the store available at the Chuckwagon.

Picked up one of Mr Olson's cancellations.   

Now which dusty road shall I use to get there ....................... 

Mike Cassidy

• Like 1
RecentConvert

All,

The wife and I are looking forward to meeting this group in Torrey!  It is our first BMW event and looking forward to swapping lies and learning the best roads from around the west.  This will be our fifth trip west in past 4 years!  Mountains are so much better than cornfields!

Our route is planned and the weather has been examined.  The bike and gear are ready.  Leaving Iowa on Monday AM.

• Like 2
On 5/10/2019 at 12:27 PM, RecentConvert said:

All,

The wife and I are looking forward to meeting this group in Torrey!  It is our first BMW event and looking forward to swapping lies and learning the best roads from around the west.  This will be our fifth trip west in past 4 years!  Mountains are so much better than cornfields!

Our route is planned and the weather has been examined.  The bike and gear are ready.  Leaving Iowa on Monday AM.

:18:Bring it!

On 5/10/2019 at 1:27 PM, RecentConvert said:

All,

Come to Cabin #8 for introductions 

23 hours ago, Bob Palin said:

I have arranged the usual "special" weather for the event :18:

As long as it's a few degrees above freezing I'm good.  I have my heated gear for the ride home (looks like I might need it). 

Mike Cassidy

Leaving Colorado on Thursday at a leisurely 6AM.  Taking the scenic "fun" way.  Will be there in 7 hours.  The short way (I-70) only takes 4 hours.

• Like 1

Sorry I am going to miss this one.  My oldest is graduating from SDSU at 3 pm on Friday.  My wife said, “Can’t you leave after his graduation?”  I’m not Steve Carr.  

On 5/7/2019 at 8:14 PM, Dennis Andress said:

I have a prior commitment that week...

image.png.b7617b8249b2bc85ddf2678a3dbabd58.png

Did that in September.  

Got off a plane this afternoon from a work commitment in D.C. this week so I'm a little late to the party.  Leaving L.A. at Ohhh dark thirty tomorrow morning to arrive before the deer come out to play at sunset.  Cya'll tomorrow!  :bike:

Bob - How often do you see snow in Torrey this time of the year?   I thought we were all having global warming.:classic_biggrin:

53 minutes ago, Endobobdds said:

Bob - How often do you see snow in Torrey this time of the year?   I thought we were all having global warming.:classic_biggrin:

Snow is not unusual in May, our last snowfall is usually the first week of June, though it doesn't stick. Climate Change causes weather to be more unpredictable and variable, in either direction.

• Like 1
Calvin  (no socks)
On 3/28/2019 at 4:59 PM, eddd said:

They have medication for that...

Scratched as needed and avoided the medication with 6k miles in the saddle. 

• Like 1

Two years ago coming to Torrey from Los Angeles we encountered severe snow between the junction east of Zion and Panguitch on Hwy 89.  The rider from Los Angeles with me was not happy about it at all.

That was not the first time encountering some good snow on the way to Torrey at the same time in May. 

And other years the weather has been wonderful. 

Last year was not much of a winter at all.  But this year has been more like real winter weather.  I'm 100 miles north of Torrey and usually the weather is rather similar.

We haven't had any snow since March or so, but at this time a lot of rain. 

dc