Jump to content
Whip

2019 Spring Torrey May 16-20th

Recommended Posts

Whip

Rooms are being held for us at a discounted rate.

 

Please tell them you are with the BMWST group.

 

Michelle is our go to person but whoever answers the phone will help.

 

(435) 425-3377

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RandyShields

Excellent! That would have been a long haul from North Carolina while I was working, but a western ride based around Torrey is just the ticket now that I am retired. The roads and landmarks throughout southern Utah and the 4 corners area generally look spectacular. Starting to plan the entire ride now. And I look forward to meeting some of our west coast board members. Count me in. Reservations made.

 

Randy Shields

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stir

In.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TEWKS
The roads and landmarks throughout southern Utah and the 4 corners area generally look spectacular. Starting to plan the entire ride now. Reservations made.

 

I highly recommend Canyonlands NP. Shafer and Potash roads in particular. So awesome you just won't believe it! :thumbsup:

 

 

Pat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
David13

I'll be there. Or here, whichever way you want to look at it.

 

I highly recommend skipping 4 corners. It's really nothing.

dc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Endobobdds
I highly recommend Canyonlands NP. Shafer and Potash roads in particular. So awesome you just won't believe it! :thumbsup:

Pat

Very nice video Pat - has inspired me to start planning another Torrey/west coast trip and to ride those roads! :thumbsup:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TEWKS

Thanks Bob, you will not be disappointed! :thumbsup:

 

Pat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whip

Anyone coming from the east is welcome to stay at my home in Salida and ride with me to Torrey on Thursday.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BrianT

Already booked. :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
**   Chris   **
Already booked. :thumbsup:

Bragger!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BrianT
Already booked. :thumbsup:

Bragger!

I got some bourbon with your name on it if you show up! That goes double if your brother also makes it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EffBee

In. Talked to Michelle. Room is reserved.

 

After 17 years of making the 14-hour trek from SoCal to Torrey, I'm now located on the Western Slope of the Rockies. So Torrey is just 4 hours the fast way and 6 hours the fun way. And between Spring and Fall Torrey, I've got all of the Rockies just 1.5 miles to the east of my front door. At last now I'm able to get my money's worth by wearing out the sides of my tires at about the same pace as the middle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Burt

I just made a reservation for a room 16th-20th.  I've never been out there, and I'm looking forward to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whip
7 hours ago, Burt said:

I just made a reservation for a room 16th-20th.  I've never been out there, and I'm looking forward to it.

Are you gonna make it this time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Burt

I hope so.  Things haven't worked out before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scout6

I'm travelling with Burt, so we ARE going to make this happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whip
2 minutes ago, scout6 said:

I'm travelling with Burt, so we ARE going to make this happen.

Make Salida a way point and ride with me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scout6

We might do that.  Do you have trailer space?  We might be trailering out across the plains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whip

Absolutely 

 

Plenty of room for trailers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RecentConvert

Good morning all!

 

I have never attended or participated in this type of event and have many questions.  Hopefully you will cut me some slack.

 

This is the exact region my wife and I were planning to go this riding season.  We ride 2-up in spite of my efforts to move her onto her own bike.

 

Who attends this event?  How many attend?  Is it 95% males or do wives/girlfriends attend also?  My wife and I have logged 50,000 miles in the past 3 years and I wish for her to not feel out of place.

 

Are there organized group day routes for exploring the area?  

 

We will ride from home in Iowa.  Anyone know a non-boring route across Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska or South Dakota?  We avoid interstates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whip

Many women have attended over the years and most come more than twice. Get reservations at the Chuckwagon Hotel ASAP. Check in at cabin #9 as soon as you can and we will get you set up on rides. We have no scheduled or formal group ride but I will get some folks together and we would love to show you the best places to ride in the US. If you want to come through Salida on the way you are welcome to stay at my house and ride to Torrey with me on Thursday. The route to Torrey is amazing.  I live alone with plenty of extra rooms and space. 

 

Larry “Whip”

 

not to to mention the views from my house

 

AB6521CE-66E7-457C-8D9E-F8F2086A9463.jpeg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whip

South Dakota , Deadwood, to Laramie, Silverthorne,  Leadville,  Salida. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RecentConvert

Thanks for the advice on route!!!   We've ridden that one several times!  

 

We love to ride in Colorado and go through Salida often.  The road on the north east side of Black Creek Canyon is a favorite although all are excellent.  Had some emergency repairs done in Montrose where they loaned me a bike while they worked on mine.  Good dealer!  The chipseal roads and an overly heavy right hand are hard on tires and brakes!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Endobobdds
10 hours ago, Whip said:

Many women have attended over the years and most come more than twice. Get reservations at the Chuckwagon Hotel ASAP. Check in at cabin #9 as soon as you can and we will get you set up on rides. We have no scheduled or formal group ride but I will get some folks together and we would love to show you the best places to ride in the US. If you want to come through Salida on the way you are welcome to stay at my house and ride to Torrey with me on Thursday. The route to Torrey is amazing.  I live alone with plenty of extra rooms and space. 

 

Larry “Whip”

 

not to to mention the views from my house

 

AB6521CE-66E7-457C-8D9E-F8F2086A9463.jpeg

RecentConvert - do not pass up on Whip’s offer!  He is our leader, fantastc guy, and great rider.

His home and location in Salina is beautiful and he would not extend the invitation to join him without meaning it!  Believe me it will make your trip to Torrey an unbelievable experience!👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LBump

Looking forward to the Spring Torrey.

Yep, the photo was taken in the Fall.  Zedds Meadow, Gooseberry-Fremont Road. :thumbsup:

 

374_zpsppyw92on.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bob Palin

Nice picture! The road is Utah 25 which runs (rapidly) from Sweeper Madness (UT 72) to Fish Lake and on to UT 24, it's sometimes called the Fish Lake Byway. Contrary to some maps it is paved all the way and has been for 20 years! There are quite a lot of things to see along the way

 

http://www.sevierutah.net/index.aspx?NID=196

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BrianT
On 1/25/2019 at 5:48 AM, RecentConvert said:

Good morning all!

 

I have never attended or participated in this type of event and have many questions.  Hopefully you will cut me some slack.

 

This is the exact region my wife and I were planning to go this riding season.  We ride 2-up in spite of my efforts to move her onto her own bike.

 

Who attends this event?  How many attend?  Is it 95% males or do wives/girlfriends attend also?  My wife and I have logged 50,000 miles in the past 3 years and I wish for her to not feel out of place.

 

Are there organized group day routes for exploring the area?  

 

We will ride from home in Iowa.  Anyone know a non-boring route across Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska or South Dakota?  We avoid interstates.

Definitely not a boys-only type trip.  There's usually a few wives/significant others.  My wife used to always go until the kids having to be in school put a damper on her going.  You and your wife will be welcome.  As for organized rides its not really needed for the area.  Good riding in every direction and Whip or anyone else can point out the places to go.  Some groups may form up of people who want to ride the same road and you'll be welcome.  As Whip said, just swing by the group at/outside of his cabin and you'll be dialed in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whip
13 hours ago, Killer said:

Nice picture! The road is Utah 25 which runs (rapidly) from Sweeper Madness (UT 72) to Fish Lake and on to UT 24, it's sometimes called the Fish Lake Byway. Contrary to some maps it is paved all the way and has been for 20 years! There are quite a lot of things to see along the way

 

http://www.sevierutah.net/index.aspx?NID=196

Bob, I still have not complete the ride to I-70 from Fish Lake (actually goes north from the reservoir) because it was snowed in. I think you took be up there a couple times when it was a dirt road. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dennis Andress
On 1/25/2019 at 5:48 AM, RecentConvert said:

Good morning all!

 

I have never attended or participated in this type of event and have many questions.  Hopefully you will cut me some slack.

 

This is the exact region my wife and I were planning to go this riding season.  We ride 2-up in spite of my efforts to move her onto her own bike.

 

Who attends this event?  How many attend?  Is it 95% males or do wives/girlfriends attend also?  My wife and I have logged 50,000 miles in the past 3 years and I wish for her to not feel out of place.

 

Are there organized group day routes for exploring the area?  

 

We will ride from home in Iowa.  Anyone know a non-boring route across Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska or South Dakota?  We avoid interstates.

 

This group is not big on "organized" anything. Torrey is little more then an excuse to ride some beautiful roads and have dinner with friends. Rides are put together over morning coffee or breakfast. You both will have a good time, please drop by. (Says the man who hasn't made it to Torrey in years...)

 

Oh, you asked about a non-boring way to cross Kansas..

I like to ride at 105.

It's just how fast I've got to go.

I've got the gears and I've got the motor.

Ain't no reason to go slow.

 

hite_creek-XL.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bob Palin
10 hours ago, Whip said:

Bob, I still have not complete the ride to I-70 from Fish Lake (actually goes north from the reservoir) because it was snowed in. I think you took be up there a couple times when it was a dirt road. 

 

We did it in the Tundra that time in the falling snow, that was a great trip. There has been quite a lot of snow this winter so far, if it carries on like this the Goosebury/Sevenmile road won't be clear next Torrey either. Of course it's paved and straightened a bit now, but should still be a great ride.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bob Palin
8 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

 

(Says the man who hasn't made it to Torrey in years...)

 

 

And totally fails to mention that he got married by the Chuck Wagon pool in Torrey at one of these events.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dennis Andress

I didn't forget, I just couldn't find words to go with a picture.

 

one-L.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Endobobdds

I think your words were “I do” in response to my hero Paul Mihalka😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MikeRC
On ‎2019‎/‎01‎/‎07 at 3:24 PM, TEWKS said:

 

I highly recommend Canyonlands NP. Shafer and Potash roads in particular. So awesome you just won't believe it! :thumbsup: 

 

Pat

 

Extra points for you, Pat.  There is just no way I'm taking the big pig on Shafer Road.  At least not downhill on TKC 70s anyway.  OK, the DRZ/KLX on TKC80s roosting around the corners.  And anyone else's sub-900cc bike, sure  :classic_biggrin: 

 

Mike Cassidy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dennis Andress

Hi Mike!  :wave:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TEWKS
19 hours ago, MikeRC said:

 

Extra points for you, Pat.  There is just no way I'm taking the big pig on Shafer Road. 

 

Mike Cassidy 

 

Thanks Mike, yes points do matter! :grin: Now the road surface really wasn't all that bad. The fear of heights and falling to your death, well yeah, there was that...:rofl:

 

Pat

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MikeRC
On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 2:12 PM, Dennis Andress said:

Hi Mike!  :wave:

 

Hi back Dennis (and Laney). 

 

Mike (& Linda) Cassidy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ron_B
On 1/25/2019 at 7:48 AM, RecentConvert said:

Good morning all!

 

I have never attended or participated in this type of event and have many questions.  Hopefully you will cut me some slack.

 

This is the exact region my wife and I were planning to go this riding season.  We ride 2-up in spite of my efforts to move her onto her own bike.

 

Who attends this event?  How many attend?  Is it 95% males or do wives/girlfriends attend also?  My wife and I have logged 50,000 miles in the past 3 years and I wish for her to not feel out of place.

 

Are there organized group day routes for exploring the area?  

 

We will ride from home in Iowa.  Anyone know a non-boring route across Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska or South Dakota?  We avoid interstates.

  

 

group-X3-X2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ron_B

Oh, I almost forgot. IN!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scout6
On 1/23/2019 at 11:47 AM, Whip said:

Absolutely 

 

Plenty of room for trailers

We will plan to be at your place!  Thanks.  Looking forward to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EffBee

Looks like I'm IN!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ashe

Anyone from NC heading that way?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gordiet

Been watching this for some time and thought I was going to able to make the event. Had a two bed unit on hold but had to cancel today. So.... can someone tell me about the September event? Dates and such? I’m in Ferndale Washington and I attended the UN a couple years ago. Thanks...

 

Gordie Thomas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gordiet

Missed a word in my sentence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whip
5 hours ago, gordiet said:

Been watching this for some time and thought I was going to able to make the event. Had a two bed unit on hold but had to cancel today. So.... can someone tell me about the September event? Dates and such? I’m in Ferndale Washington and I attended the UN a couple years ago. Thanks...

 

Gordie Thomas

The last full weekend in September. 26-29th.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gordiet
12 hours ago, Whip said:

The last full weekend in September. 26-29th.

 

 

Thanks Whip!

 

 GT 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chrisolson

Not required, but you can indicate if you plan to attend or not ... click on link to go to Calendar listing

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
eddd

Spring Torrey is in September?  Is this related to you Arizona folks resistance to Daylight Saving 
Time?:classic_blink:

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chrisolson
On 3/12/2019 at 1:41 PM, eddd said:

Daylight Saving 
Time?

 

Nah, just related to not paying attention :16:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...