Indy Dave

The Road Not Taken

I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Robert Frost

It's summer (or it was) and that means The Clean Living Hoosiers (CLH) ride again! Never mind that the descriptor “Clean Living” is Oxymoronic as applied here and it's common knowledge that not even our spouses would utter “Clean Living” together in any soft of way relating to or in conjunction with any of us. But don't take their word for it.

The Origins of the Clean Living designation came about due to the (some would say random) good fortune we seem to generally encounter on our Once In A Lifetime Annual Trips. When something fortuitous happens, we acknowledge that it's on ACCOUNT OF OUR CLEAN LIVING! And who, other than our spouses, would dare to challenge that?

This year's trip would have a few varieties, but in general, we rode from L.A. to Portland, OR. Some of us rode our own bikes, some of us flew out and rented and some of us didn't go all the way to Portland. One of us, Yours Truly, went on from Portland to Palmer Gulch and the UN Rally.

In the End, the trip was truly a trip of a lifetime. For the third time. But enough of my yappin! Let's get this train rolling. And In Living Color.

You really do write RIDE like you're running out of time

Hamilton

I present as an introduction, a quick video that, like Gilligan's Island, tells a fateful tale of a day's tour that was extended by 3 hours. Hopefully the visual cues are enough to tell the story without much narration. Some of you may think you've seen this clip, but you haven't. This clip embodies the Spirit and Nature of Clean Living. You'll see enough near misses that will serve to illustrate “Clean Living” in action as we try to double back to our original closed road and avoid a long detour. All the way, you'll note there were an abundance of hints for any rational person on RT's to have turned around long before we did. And I'm sure now as I look back, my riding partners wanted to turn back and knew we should, but they were just crazy enough to see how much trouble I'd get myself into and how far one could push the limits of Clean Living.

Madman Across The River

Once a fool had a good part in the play

If it's so would I still be here today

It's quite peculiar in a funny sort of way

They think it's very funny everything I say

Get a load of him, he's so insane

You better get your coat dear

It looks like rain

I can see very well

There's a boat on the reef with a broken back

And I can see it very well

There's a joke and I know it very well

It's one of those that I told you long ago

Take my word I'm a madman don't you know

Elton John

Allow me to preemptively state in response to the burning question conclusion you'll no doubt have reached after watching this video. NO, (Little Buddy), Gilligan and I are NOT related! Promise. I'll also point out as a point of reference, this video compilation actually is a segment from day 7. But it's as good a place as any to introduce you to Yours Truly and a couple of the other (and more rational) Clean Living Hoosiers.

Madman Trying to cross The River A Puddle

Shit! Our road is closed. WTF?!

I don't want to double back

And take the long, safe and civilized way,

Let's see if we can cut and double back

Across the backside and hook up with our route again.

Indy Dave

Enjoy:

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Like 1
Francois_Dumas

That was fun watching. Nice area too. I saw your radar warner go off all the time on that rough road.... 😄😄😄

Now, by no means wanting to be a smart Alec, but have you ever heard of 'GS'?. 😜

• Like 1
RandyShields

Good! Glad to see an RT being ridden to fully explore its capabilities -- off road or on. Good dodge of the car coming down the fire road; I suspect he never expected to see a motorcycle coming at him since he barely moved over. And no, we do not confuse you with Gilligan. The Skipper maybe, but not Gilligan. Nice Supertramp for the first segment. We need to take you back to the 70s and 80s for your other accompanying music.

Randy

• Like 1
Will your riding partner's ever let you lead again? :grin:

:rofl: Good One!

Thanks for the ride along! Enjoyed watching your GS skills.

Certainly glad the car didn't come into you. From the looks of the dust he was going at a good clip.

• Like 1

That pullout at the dam that you started and ended at looks familiar. Cougar Lake?

43957077141_3f6c20f493_z.jpg

Twisties and Bullett and I came at it from the road you found closed. As I recall, we hit some dirt patches (might have been on a previous road, though), but nothing like the goat track you found!

I noticed your phone disappeared from the RAM mount just before the clip where you had a swim. If you moved it, good planning! If it fell off somewhere in between the clips, did you find it?

• Like 1
That was fun watching. Nice area too. I saw your radar warner go off all the time on that rough road.... 😄😄😄

Now, by no means wanting to be a smart Alec, but have you ever heard of 'GS'?. 😜

Thanks Francois! I have heard of a that there'd Gee Ssss. And even one of thems Fancy-Pancy ones with a Aaa on the end.

I like my RT. Very. Much. So much so, in fact, that I thought I'd bought a Camhead to replace my 90,00 mile 06. That deal appears to be in the toilet. Along the same lines as your suggestion, The Clean Living Hoosiers got together last night and they were somewhat emphatic that I should be looking at a GS/GSA, and in sincere wonderment as to why I'd not be looking at a Wet Head, RT, GS or GSA. And yes, those turkeys have RTW's.

Good! Glad to see an RT being ridden to fully explore its capabilities -- off road or on. Good dodge of the car coming down the fire road; I suspect he never expected to see a motorcycle coming at him since he barely moved over. And no, we do not confuse you with Gilligan. The Skipper maybe, but not Gilligan. Nice Supertramp for the first segment. We need to take you back to the 70s and 80s for your other accompanying music.

Randy

Yea, the car had at least one wheel locked and skdding on the gravel - I could hear it. Fortunatly, he stayed stopped as Jerry and Ernie got to him. I'd warned them about the guy on the Sena.

On the music, are you suggesting the last song - 'I'm Brilliant' was out of place?!

HAHA. They just hang back a little further now!

:rofl: Good One!

Thanks for the ride along! Enjoyed watching your GS skills.

Certainly glad the car didn't come into you. From the looks of the dust he was going at a good clip.

He was! And I guess I just want to point out - for anyone who rides these kinds of roads, how important it is to stick to the right. Typicaly on such roads, one picks and chooses bike placment based on whats in the road directly ahead of you. This would have gone very bad quickly if I had been over to the left just a little bit.

LOVE IT

Thanks, more to come! But not so soaking wet. I Will say how much cooler I was on the ride home after that!!

Some things can not be fixed. :wave:

Hmmm.... How's that hip?!?

Edward de Smedt, just sayin'.

HA! Learned something today, Thanks Jake!

That pullout at the dam that you started and ended at looks familiar. Cougar Lake?

43957077141_3f6c20f493_z.jpg

Twisties and Bullett and I came at it from the road you found closed. As I recall, we hit some dirt patches (might have been on a previous road, though), but nothing like the goat track you found!

I noticed your phone disappeared from the RAM mount just before the clip where you had a swim. If you moved it, good planning! If it fell off somewhere in between the clips, did you find it?

Great Catch, Bill. It was cougar Lake! BTW, on my videos in the description (along with the music credits), I try to include a google maps link to show the road and area.

In this case: map link

And on the cell phone, again a good catch. I stowed it away - which Jake and his lovely wife assert caused me to go for a swim. sealing my fate

Edited by Indy Dave

A few clarifications. I said this was the 3rd Annual once-in-a-lifetime Clean Living Hoosiers Trip. That's not exactly true. Last year we rode again, to Vermont and Maine. Yours Truly hasn't shared that trip as yet, and since this one is fresher in "The Old Duder's Head", I'm starting with this trip. But brothers Joe (GSJoe) and Jerry have been doing these trips for about 5 years before I used all manor of sorcery and trickery to get included.

Jerry in his natural surroundings:

20180708_094810.jpg

and Joe in his:

20180706_113055.jpg

The other cast members:

Ernie (more commonly referred to as 'The Silver Bastard') 'Big Ern' lives on the East Coast.

20180707_184727.jpg

Don (Donny) - Donny is quick and always moving, so it's hard to get a still shot of him. So he gets two intro photos.

20180706_113132.jpg

20180707_184754.jpg

Steve - Steve is NOT a Hoosier and no doubt is not thrilled at being included in the reference. Steve is from CA and was along on the trip two years ago to Colorado.

steve%20at%20the%20sea.jpg

GSJoe's bike:

20180705_162617.jpg

Indy Dave

dave%20and%20bike.jpg

Both Big Ern and Donny have been on at least one of the annual trips before Yours Truly started tagging along, so for all intents, I'm the New Kid on the block and have to carry the luggage to the rooms.

Don, Jerry and Ernie flew out to CA and rented bikes. More on that later. GSJoe and Steve, living in the L.A. area, rode their own bikes, and I had previously ridden out to Burbank and left my bike in preparation for this trip.

The plan was for me to meet everyone but Big Ern, who was joining us a few days later, at Neptune's Net, a well known biker joint. CA traffic and such as it is, had the guys waiting on me for a couple of hours. While I arrived starving, they were refreshed and beyond itching to get back on the road. Always considerate of each other, the CLH had a burger waiting for me and I wolfed it down in the parking lot and we were OFF!!

joe%20at%20neptunes.jpg

FINALLY, THE WAIT IS OVER!

Old Men and The Sea

joe%20dave%20jerry%20don%20at%20the%20sea.jpg

Originally Posted by Bud

Some things can not be fixed. wave

Hmmm.... How's that hip?!?

It's coming along, more slowly than I want but you warned me previously that thinking I would be back on the bike in a couple of weeks was "crazy talk".

Still have my eyes on FART. Don't know what I will be riding, but plan to be there.

Loving the ride tale and the photos! :clap: :clap:

Edited by Bud

Speaking of beautiful bikes . .

Lay your eyes on the curves of Yours Truly's RT (right side up this time)

20180707_193844.jpg

And Steve's equally stunning roadster:

20180708_142152.jpg

20180705_162308.jpg

The Silver Bastard generally shy's away from the Limelight, preferring not to live on the Gilded Stage, and he will only make his way to the front once or twice on these trips. On the rare occasions he does make his way to the front, he's generally ready to roll.

I appreciate I've made a few posts in a short order here. It's because I'm tied to my desk working on a few unpleasant things and have random allotments of escape time, and my mind is constantly wandering back to the trip and the wish that I were out riding.. . It's likely I won't be updating over the weekend, so I leave you this video of The Silver Bastard blazing the trail one fine day on this stretch of road:

Roughly this stretch of road: https://goo.gl/maps/w4wYan26BGR2

EDIT: This clip is also illustrative of Clean Living - you'll note we just had one car to get around.

RandyShields

Dave wrote: Yea, the car had at least one wheel locked and skdding on the gravel - I could hear it. Fortunatly, he stayed stopped as Jerry and Ernie got to him. I'd warned them about the guy on the Sena. On the music, are you suggesting the last song - 'I'm Brilliant' was out of place?!

Not out of place. Good lyrics just not a big fan of the music; the first half with Take the Long Way Home was great.

R

• Like 1
BTW, on my videos in the description (along with the music credits), I try to include a google maps link to show the road and area.

Does anybody read that stuff? ;)

RandyShields said:
Dave wrote: On the music, are you suggesting the last song - 'I'm Brilliant' was out of place?!

Not out of place. Good lyrics just not a big fan of the music; the first half with Take the Long Way Home was great.

R

That's always the trade off. Sometimes you have good lyrics that might fit a situation, other times you have a great song that the lyrics don't fit the scene. Case in point, in one video where I'm behind GSJoe, I guarantee you, I'm not "A Fool For Your Stockings" (ZZ Top) :computer:

A word About The Videos

I'm sharing video here because I think it provides a great frame of reference of what the roads are like that we rode, and also because (along with the map links) they may be of help to others doing trip planning. Video, however, leaves out the personal context of our time together and the various personalities of The Clean Living Hoosiers. And as you'll soon discover, we have a LOT of laughs! So we'll have both photos and video. :thumbsup:

I've been fortunate enough to ride with and be under the tutelage of some great riders from BMWST. We ride and we talk 'shop'. And I try to soak it up. I'm sure most of you are the same - you want to be the best rider you can and that requires a constant commitment to self-evaluation. I have a long, long way to go and a lot to learn. That being said, I'm also my own worst critic. You can be sure I scrutinize every inch of this footage, critiquing every corner. Along those lines, I invite you to offer input or critique any OF MY riding. I'm all ears and I always appreciate any and all input. However - if the other guys want input on their riding, they can let us know. :thumbsup:

Endobobdds said:

Well, they may say they hang back but I'm not sure that's what's really happening. But you be the judge. :dontknow::whistle::wave:. To be fair, I guess I did have to shoulder my way into the lead here.

Map link of this section of road

Edited by Indy Dave

Love the music choice Dave. With the reference to Gilded Stage I was half expecting some Rush though. ;)

Thanks Shawn! You a fan of BNR?

So truth be told, the videos are getting linked right now mainly because I've done some of them, while I have yet to sort the photos. Thanks for the feedback, I know *I* certainly enjoy the videos and getting a chance to relive it.

Edited by Indy Dave

Well, that's a proper little paved goat track! Other than the slide outs, the pavement looks to be in pretty good shape, but video can be deceiving.

I've ridden 9 through the Santa Cruz mountains a few times, but I've never done 236, Empire Grade, or Jamison Creek Rd. Gonna have to fix that one of these days when I'm up that way.

• Like 1
RandyShields

Agree on the tradeoff between music and lyrics. Keep doing what you are doing, and don't stop posting your videos with music. We all really enjoy them.

Randy

Not that it was ever in doubt, but I'm glad I don't have to choose what I don't want.

I'll get the story back on track and get photos sorted through the first couple of days and make a "respectable" :rofl: update before bed tonight. I'm a little ashamed to say that I've made very little progress on the lengthy Honey Doo list since I returned, so if I don't want to be sadder than an old couch in the front yard (in the rain), I need to muster and divert some energy towards that list today.

About Music. Many here know I like 'The Holy Trinity' :dopeslap: - Rush (and many, many other artists). Apart from our passion for bikes and riding, I've found music to be another common and engaging 'parking lot' topic with BMWST'ers. :thumbsup:

All that to say this: I was sent this photo a couple of days ago and shared it with Mrs. Indy Dave.

Upon seeing the caption, she quipped: All the more reason to rescue the dog! :shake::ohboy::cuz::spittake:

dog%20in%20car%20rush.jpeg

• Like 1
Bill_Walker said:
Indy Dave said:

Well, that's a proper little paved goat track! Other than the slide outs, the pavement looks to be in pretty good shape, but video can be deceiving.

I've ridden 9 through the Santa Cruz mountains a few times, but I've never done 236, Empire Grade, or Jamison Creek Rd. Gonna have to fix that one of these days when I'm up that way.

That was a fun road, and I think your observation is correct, it was clean enough to work it some. Once I catch the story up and we get to that day, I post the entire days route.

Chinatown, Harry Bosch, Tom Petty and The Big Lebowski

Tom Petty, the great movie Chinatown and The Harry Bosch books all reference Mulholland Drive. I've read all the Bosch books, seen Chinatown into the double digits and we all know Petty's song Free Fallin' , and all three of those reference Mulholland drive, so for me it's been a Iconic L.A. reference that I had no knowledge of, other than the non descriptive references noted. So I was pumped to see and ride it and it was a great send off for the trip. Not only that, our destination for the night would be San Luis Obispo, which has an obscure reference in The Big Lebowski, a movie I've probably seen more than any other.

But first, I had to pick up my bike. It was housed at a buddie's FIL's, but fortunately they allowed my bike to stay inside and not suffer like these stable mates. I guess you CAN have too many toys (his pole garage is full of other toys)!

20180705_095442.jpg

20180705_095455.jpg

The first day, despite all of our excitement, was pretty uneventful compared to the rest of our trip. So while I sleep on how to make it sound exciting, here's our route for the day.

My ride to Neptune's Net.

Screenshot_2018-08-13%20Burbank%20to%20Neptunes%20Net.png

And our ride

Screenshot_2018-08-13%20MotoQuest%20-%20Long%20Beach%20to%20Avenue%20Inn%20Downtown%20San%20Luis%20Obispo.png

Edited by Indy Dave

Mulholland Dr

mulholland%20drive%201.jpg

Neptune's Net

mn3.jpg

The Clean Living Hoosiers Bikes:

nn3.jpg

And making a Grand Exit

neptunes%20bikes%20leaving.jpg

neptunes%203.jpg

20180706_104949.jpg

It was hot a hot once away from the coast, and really mostly uneventful. We were settling into our group and trying to contain the year's worth of energy pent-up from the last trip.

green%20grass.jpg

gsjoe2.jpg

Joe had a favorite Organic (remember, we're in CA and he's a delicate sort) Pistachio Farm he frequents. It was a great place, but a little nutty.

20180705_165212_1.jpg

20180705_165210.jpg

water%20system.jpg

Soon enough, we arrived in San Luis Obispo! Lebowski fans may remember this area being mentioned in Walter's Eulogy of Donny (RIP).

Our home for the night:

hotel%20first%20night.jpg

First Things First with us: Hey Indy Dave, did you bring any Vodka?! None of us were "Packing'.

have%20any%20vodka.jpg

Our arrival coincided with a local farmers market, and the downtown main street was blocked off and full of life! Perfect! We took in all the many tempting food vendors - and saw many we wanted to try, but the lines were longgg and we were thirsty in addition to hungry. Someone selected the Fireside Grill and we all had excellent BBQ and sat outside on the patio and watched the world go by. Once finished, we ended up in a bar with very loud music - making us feel young again and also grateful for the loud volume, because at our ages, that's the only way we can hear it! After a few cocktails, we start the walk back, but not before one of us stops into the local liquor store and procures a bottle of Stloi! Being waste conscious, he declines a bag for the bottle. He tease him the rest of the way home, as he looks like a vagrant with a bottle of booze and no sack!

And off to bed we went, knowing the real trip was about to begin!

Edited by Indy Dave

Before we move on. No sooner had Jerry checked to see if I had any 'Truth Serum', then Donnie arrives with a 6 pack of Barley Pop. I told you he was quick! This was just the band aid needed to get us all showered and unpacked.

Over dinner on the spacious outside patio, the Hoosiers and California residents got reacquainted - talk of kids and family, joys, victories and disappointments and water under the bridge. The relaxed atmosphere lent itself well to a relaxing catch up session. Our riding had been largely restrained that day and yet all of us were eager to explore the great roads GSJoe had for us the next day. We were not to be disappointed. And while we were on bikes, he even mangaed to get us all to a car wash the next night! Our lives became complete after the next nights activities, you may feel the same way too!

Pleasure leaves a fingerprint

As surely as mortal pain

In memories they resonate

And echo back again

Scars (Rush)

At dinner in San Luis Obispo, I mentioned we were all catching up and sharing stories and memories. Some of the stories were of past trips we'd all been on, others may have involved just one or two of the group, but the one thing they had in common is that they all led to belly laughs because we all knew the personalities of the people in the story and we could imagine and see the stories unfolding in our minds as they were being told, visualizing facial expressions and vocal tones as the story was shared.

It may be hard to recreate the hilarity of the stories shared due to the lack of shared chemistry here, but I'll share one story in hopes that it will convey the jovial spirit that's the hallmark of these trips. There was a camping trip that 2 of the Clean Living Hoosiers were on. Both had set up their tents in spots of their own choosing and a decent distance from each other. Once folks had retired for the night and settled in, just as Big Ern was about to doze off, he heard a light but distinct 'thud' on his tent fly. Then, just as he's about to doze off a second time, another thud on his tent. Hmm. Next thing he knows, yet another thud and another! The gears start to turn in his mind and he determines that Jerry is throwing acorns at his tent in intervals designed to make it seem random!! As the thuds continue, the anger starts to build, but he knows he can't let on that the acorns are bothering him, let alone keeping him awake! So he suffers in silence.

The next morning, Big Ern gathers some acorns when he gets up and starts throwing them at Jerry, who is still waking up and making coffee. Jerry asks what Big Ern is doing, and Ernie says 'Don't play dumb, I know what you were doing last night!' Jerry has no idea what Ernie is talking about and says so - as Ernie continues to pelt him with acorns. Once Ernie angrily explains that he KNOWS Jerry was strategically throwing acorns at his tent so he couldn't sleep, Jerry tells him he had gone straight to sleep last night. Jerry then looks at where Ernie had set up his tent, and sure enough, it was right under a large acorn tree!! As Jerry told this story, we could all visualize the interaction and it led to quite a bout of laughter. And this is what make these trips so wonderful, the trips are not about the riding, the riding is just a means to get together.

So having set the atmosphere and attitude that generally prevails on CLH trips, the next morning, GSJoe was in full-on what I've named "Buddy GSJoe" mode. And the first time I witnessed this, I could not stop laughing in my helmet! And for just about every other time I saw it as well. At first, the action figure like movement reminded me of 'Guy Smiley' from Sesame Street:

guysmiley-2009.jpg

But that didn't quite seem to perfectly fit, it seemed maybe Guy Smiley mixed with the the Buddy Jesus from the movie Dogma conveyed the spirit and perceived facial expression lurking inside the helmet of GSJoe:

300px-Buddy_christ.jpg

And while the photo does not due justice to the complete action, I present The Buddy GSJoe Welcome Wave:

buddy%20gsjoe2-1.png

And it's guaranteed to make the most hardened rider wave back! To see the move in action is hilarious and one knows the rider who see's The Buddy GSJoe Wave is wondering "WTF is that and why is this dude so enthusiastic?!? I better wave back!" And so it also came to pass that at one point, the entire CLH crew were doing the GSJoe Buddy Wave in series, like dominoes falling.

It doesn't take much to amuse ourselves. And we hope we made some others laugh along the way.

• 3 weeks later...

I apologize for getting this trip started and then hitting a roadblock and stopping forward progress. We have heavy rain forecast for this weekend, and if that comes to pass, I'll get back on the road and get this thing moving! :burnout::bike:

During the meanwhile . . . . It is my pleasure and honor :ohboy: to present The WORLD PREMIERE of . . . The GS Joe Buddy Wave

GS%20Joe%20Buddy.jpeg

[quote=Indy Dave

During the meanwhile . . . . It is my pleasure and honor :ohboy: to present The WORLD PREMIERE of . . . The GS Joe Buddy Waveâ„¢

GS%20Joe%20Buddy.jpeg

I thought he is pointing out the apex point of the drive way.

• Like 1

I thought he is pointing out the apex point of the drive way.

It appears to me that he wants to steal my boots. I would swerve and accelerate away from such an apparition.

• Like 1

Dave,

I have been following and enjoying this "Ride Tale" thread. I just noted the "Trade Mark" sign over the groups name and must ask is that for real?

Edited by Endobobdds

Bob!? I can't believe you'd even ask the question! I mean, would you question the appropriateness of Clean Living in regards to any reference to me, let alone the other characters I was with! :whistle::dontknow:

Bob,

Perhaps Dave is counting the times he has dropped his bike into a mud hole and considered that a bath so his is then "Clean Living". :dontknow:

Edited by Bud
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Speaking of Clean Living - I seem to have gotten stuck in the spin cycle after all that mud hole chatter.

One of the most enjoyable sights we encountered, and quite a steep incline to get there.

Looking uphill

20180708_181317.jpg

Across . . .

20180708_181237.jpg

And the rest of the story . . .

20180708_181259.jpg

20180708_182131.jpg

Brothers Jerry and Joe and The Silver Bastard.

20180709_095105.jpg

Day two had GS Joe leading us over Nacimiento-Ferguson Road on our way to Fort Bragg, CA and back towards the Sea. Here's a nice tight but sandy and eroded road that was fun to take in at a conservative speed, and as we inched closed to the sea, we were all refreshed by the falling temperatures as we drew closer to The Old Man and The Sea. Like Hemingway's Santiago, the Sea was calling and offered us renewal from the challenging heat. 

It's been over ten years since I rode N-F road, but it sure seems like you encountered a lot more traffic than I recall.

• Like 1
On 1/26/2019 at 9:30 PM, Bill_Walker said:

It's been over ten years since I rode N-F road, but it sure seems like you encountered a lot more traffic than I recall.

Bill - It was fun taking a look back at that footage. I'd forgotten about most of the ride that morning, I think because we were mostly down by the water the rest of the day and we had some nice stretches of road with zero traffic down there, so one could take certain liberties not available to us in the morning. Looking at this footage - particularly as we start downhill - I was having trouble minding a gap to GSJoe~ not wise. GSJoe, on looking back at this footage,  mentioned his constant concern about oncoming traffic. That's a narrow road in many places, and it wouldn't take much to meet head-on. And there's nothing on the outside to stop you from going down, down to the canyon floor.  Without a concern about traffic, that road holds a lot of potential.

Of course, part of any trip is filling the belly - a skill I've at which I've been credited with having some proficiency.  And so I present . . a sampling of meal time

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Like 2

Keeping in mind this is just our 2nd day of riding, we actually had a lot packed into the day. It was a HOT day, and the breeze by the Pacific, let alone the mesmerizing body of water itself was certainly drawing us like an oasis. The Pacific Coast Highway had an even stronger pull, and we spent till past dark that day having one of our best rides together.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. As mentioned before, getting down to the PCH was happening on a great road unto itself. The views and curves were dynamite. But narrow road and traffic - like at the 3:12 mark in this video, kept us in check. Just after this, down on the PCH, we had a couple of encounters with some Ducati Riders, whom we promptly put in their place, but perhaps not as expected. But that's the next installment.

• Like 2

Our lunch stop was going to be the Famous Whale Watcher Cafe, in Gorda Springs, CA. Do to a mud slide, the PCH was closed going South from Gorda Springs. And so it came to pass that we'd pulled off the road to take in the coastline before the last few miles to The Whale Watcher. While on the side of the road, faintly at first, we could hear a Distant Early Warning off in the distance. Soon, a small pack of Ducati's came by - perhaps with an optimistic entry speed , judging by the engine sounds now on the video (I can't recall) . None the less, we all smiled knowing they were having a great ride too, and that we were part of a larger community.

When we arrived at The Wale Watcher Cafe,

20180706_125211.thumb.jpg.fbca57b8ea8b545aee85d0a62ba91ce6.jpg

there were the Ducati's, all parked in a row in Red Sector A , baking in the blazing sun. We parked in the shade!

20180706_125550.thumb.jpg.6e34abd5b46e53230d5bf2645630bd77.jpg

As we entered the cafe, the Rocket boys made a disparaging comment about BMW riders. I believe he said, "We could smell you coming." Hmm. I take back the kind thoughts I'd had earlier. GSJoe, ever so subtle, replied 'that those Ducati's are so fast, you have to park them in the sun to keep the tires warm, while we lowly BMW riders had to park our sewing machines in the shade'. It was a slow burn that took them a minute to get as they turned their gaze back to their bikes melting in the sun and considered the implication of GSJoe's comments.

We opted to go back outside and eat on the patio, and witnessed the slow burn surface and hit home again as the boys in red gingerly got on their steaming, sun baked bikes.

Yea. This was a great day!

The boys in Red a entering a little hot.....

Our lunch vantage point, optimal for enjoying The Pacific, and also a great spot for witnessing the boys in red burn and fry themselves on their overheated bikes. Often, it's the subtle things. :3:

20180706_115742.thumb.jpg.963d34e2fc2f402fd4a24c4db80136bb.jpg

20180706_115318.thumb.jpg.ce44d62c0d8f972223bc8bbfab554500.jpg

20180706_124457.thumb.jpg.bb5da43e5f9ff0ec18c88d5066c9aa1e.jpg

Our bikes, nice and cool in the shade . . .

20180706_125504.thumb.jpg.caa8c94d86a3c284c6ba3b3face40312.jpg

Word to the frugal - be ready to open your wallet if you want to fuel up at the Whale Watcher . . .20180706_125252.thumb.jpg.b08d863ce4a47e0d18eb9152a52ebeca.jpg

We hit the road after Lunch, and Yours Truly was itching to pick it up some :bike:on the first section of the PCH that we'd traveled to get to the cafe - as the PCH was closed from that point South, meaning there was reduced traffic until the first feeder road several miles up the way. But in our post lunch briefing, it was decided to take in and appreciate the views, which is always a great thing. The trip was still young and we enjoy riding with each other.  I don't think anyone wanted to be the first break out of experiencing the ride 'as a group'. At this stage of our trip, we're still graciously swapping positions with each other in the riding order at each stop. That works well with us. But how long would it last? And who would be the first to break ranks?

20180706_133617.thumb.jpg.fc58e2cfe801f41278363db27ad6dfd8.jpg

20180706_133651.thumb.jpg.cdb95c996923851c75e906e207ee1072.jpg

20180706_133838.thumb.jpg.b0a63dfd85805f59d9be271fc659b03d.jpg

20180706_134100.thumb.jpg.7f3cf0621eb047a9e1137b3c6ec3c07b.jpg

20180706_134205.thumb.jpg.95015851d5186f4741e7009539f0b2b9.jpg

20180706_140501.thumb.jpg.2df227e1a54e920d5ccb8ce6eb09cda0.jpg

20180706_140251.thumb.jpg.18f96e4be5d98d9ad9456497c08f4365.jpg

Our destination for the night was Santa Anna Santa Cruz CA.

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Like 2

Our last (and brief) bit of riding video for the day. Once in Santa Anna  Santa Cruz, our story picks up again and the CLH will be treated to sights unexpected and a race across town.

1 hour ago, LBump said:

Enjoying the ride along, Thanks.

So, had did ya feel splitt'n lanes?  You looked pretty use to it... 

Thanks! I'm enjoying reliving it and the video brings back parts I'd otherwise have forgotten - despite my notes.

I was certainly apprehensive about splitting. I'd read from advocates and detractors here, so with folks having such strong feelings on both sides of the issue, I had no idea what to expect. I was certainly comfortable here, but it seems to me that traffic was particularly generous and aware - in both lanes the cars were staying to the outside for the most part. So today, it was good and I was comfortable. I've not yet seen the video from tomorrow's ride (I know that sounds odd, but each day has a full days worth of video to wade through), but my recollection is that near SF, it wasn't nearly as simple and cars were crowding us more. We were unable to stay together and missed exits - so that made it all the more exciting!

Edited by Indy Dave

Where is this "Santa Anna" you speak of?  I'm familiar with Santa Ana, CA, but that's well south of where you were, in Orange County (south of LA).  Google Maps doesn't know about a Santa Anna, CA.  At the end of the video above, you're clearly arriving in Monterey.  I can see how you might have ended up in Salinas or Santa Cruz.