IGNORED

oil message

MichiganBob

MichiganBob

Good afternoon, i'm on a very long trip and have a message in my information bar that says "oil." I checked the level and it was about a 1/3 of a quart low so filled it. Started it and message still there. Have not take it out for spin yet. The warning symbol for low oil neverwent on. Maybe it will reset when I take it out. If it stays on, I read that it might be a sensor, Anyone know where the sensor is in the event that it needs to be replaced. Other ideas why the oil message might be on? Many thanks.

Good afternoon, i'm on a very long trip and have a message in my information bar that says "oil." I checked the level and it was about a 1/3 of a quart low so filled it. Started it and message still there. Have not take it out for spin yet. The warning symbol for low oil neverwent on. Maybe it will reset when I take it out. If it stays on, I read that it might be a sensor, Anyone know where the sensor is in the event that it needs to be replaced. Other ideas why the oil message might be on? Many thanks.

Evening Bob

It might go out after a cool down & restart. If it stays on then more than likely an oil level sensor issue but it probably should be checked out as soon as possible.

MVzy2Bw.jpg

MichiganBob

Thanks DR. Whereabouts is that sensor on my 2012 1200rt. cursory look did not locate. anyone know? Thanks.

Bob

Thanks DR. Whereabouts is that sensor on my 2012 1200rt. cursory look did not locate. anyone know? Thanks.

Bob

Evening Bob

It's on the R/H side of the engine block just above oil level below the front edge of the R/H cylinder jug.

MichiganBob

Thanks friend. Bike has performed great. 5300 miles so far, another 2500 to the garage.

Hoping the tire will make it. Brand new when I left and the tread still looks great but sometimes it wears a lot quicker than you would hope for. I'll just keep an eye on it.

MichiganBob

I'm often astonished at the tire mileage reported on this forum. 8000, 10000, 12000, on a rear tire. Not this old boy.

Yeeha! Stephen
I'm often astonished at the tire mileage reported on this forum. 8000, 10000, 12000, on a rear tire. Not this old boy.

Nor me.... I change tires every service interval. BMW service is $$$$ for me.

MichiganBob

Top of the day.

The oil message shut off when I topped it off so that was good. So I'm about six thousand miles into the trip and I've added about a half a quart of oil. The bottom of my bike is absolutely dry, not a drop of oil. my teacher said there's no such thing as a dumb question. Here it goes ... What happened to that half a quart of oil I replaced?

Top of the day.

The oil message shut off when I topped it off so that was good. So I'm about six thousand miles into the trip and I've added about a half a quart of oil. The bottom of my bike is absolutely dry, not a drop of oil. my teacher said there's no such thing as a dumb question. Here it goes ... What happened to that half a quart of oil I replaced?

Morning Bob

Difficult to tell you conclusively as we weren't there when it disappeared but the usual place is past the piston rings then burnt & out the exhaust. Possibly a little also went out through the crankcase ventilation system.

If you regularly park the bike on the side stand after riding then a lot of times a very small amount oil remaining in the low side cylinder (just inside the piston) will migrate past the piston rings then enter the low side combustion chamber where it will get burnt up at next restart.

Very little oil actually lost this way but after a number of cold starts it can add up to a few ounces.

MichiganBob

Afternoon Dr. What you say makes a lot of sense and I am a side stand parking kind of guy especially with this load I have on. No complaints half a quart 6000 miles

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I don't see this on my '12RT, but on the 1100RT I'd burn a half quart every 1500ish. Then did some long rides, instead of commuting, over several weeks. Less than a half quart down over 4000 miles. Cold engine starts is what I was thinking then.