IGNORED

New R1200RT

r100rsman

After looking at quite a few bike I pulled the trigger on a 2013 R1200RT with 19k miles with the following options (ESA, Cruise, Nav, heated seats and grips, radio, color matching top case, and tank bag). The bike has newer tires and all dealer service records from day one. I paid $8300 (plus tax and tags) which I think is a pretty good deal.

I had to travel three hours to pick it up from a Honda dealer in central Virginia. The ride back was an adventure in that the first 60 miles were through the most beautiful Virginia country side with ideal weather. Then the final 120 miles was through a driving rain storm. So I was able to experience weather extremes on my new bike with in the first 3 hours.

I have own many BMW's in the past but this is my first modern RT and here are my thoughts.

• Seating position and weather protection is wonderful.

• Engine is more powerful than I originally thought. Great passing power and plenty of low end torque.

• Handles very well for a bike its size.

• Brake are excellent.

• Shifts like a Japanese bike.

• My first bike with a radio and am enjoying it.

• BMW has gotten bag operations right. Easy to access and take on and off. Tank bag is on and off in 3 seconds.

• ESA is worth it! (until it breaks, I am told)

• Very sure footed in the rain.

• Instruments and controls are well laid out.

Things I have learned.

• Top case is heavy and I will ride without it unless on a trip.

• Clutch pull is not as soft as I would have expected.

• Setting up the radio stations took too much time to figure out.

I am planning a few trips this fall and am looking forward to getting to know my new to me R1200RT.