IGNORED

2012 R1200RT won't idle sometimes

racy

Yesterday afternoon my bike stopped running at traffic lights, i.e. when the throttle was at idle. The bike would start and run if I held the rpms above 2000. This morning I checked to see if the bike would idle; it did not.

Of course, after towing it my dealer, it started and idled fine for the technician. (The bike has 37,900 miles on it; the most recent service was the 36,000 one).

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Yesterday afternoon my bike stopped running at traffic lights, i.e. when the throttle was at idle. The bike would start and run if I held the rpms above 2000. This morning I checked to see if the bike would idle; it did not.

Of course, after towing it my dealer, it started and idled fine for the technician. (The bike has 37,900 miles on it; the most recent service was the 36,000 one).

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Afternoon racy

Lots of ideas but without more info on the problem that is all they are, ideas.

When it stalled at traffic lights did you turn the key to off then back on THEN re-start, OR did you just push the start button without turning the key to off then back on first???

Your problem sort of points to a lost or failing idle stepper motor but those are difficult to track down without a (know good) stepper to install as a test.

Did you recently fill the fuel tank before the problem started appearing?

dirtrider,

I just pushed the start button.

Here's the sequence of events: I rode 200 miles with several stops (key off/on) to stretch: no problems. I filled-up with premium gas. I rode 20 miles after fueling, no problem. I then stopped & re-started in the space of 15 minutes with no problem. After the bike sat for 3 hours, I then rode 5 miles when the idle problem arose.

Actually, I had this problem a month earlier as I was taking the bike into my dealer for it's 36,000 service; I was only about 3 miles away so I was able make it. I mentioned the stalling issue to my dealer. I don't recall seeing any mention of addressing it on the bill however. But, I'd ridden several times afterwards with no problems before the events of yesterday.

I appreciate your help!

dirtrider,

I just pushed the start button.

Here's the sequence of events: I rode 200 miles with several stops (key off/on) to stretch: no problems. I filled-up with premium gas. I rode 20 miles after fueling, no problem. I then stopped & re-started in the space of 15 minutes with no problem. After the bike sat for 3 hours, I then rode 5 miles when the idle problem arose.

Actually, I had this problem a month earlier as I was taking the bike into my dealer for it's 36,000 service; I was only about 3 miles away so I was able make it. I mentioned the stalling issue to my dealer. I don't recall seeing any mention of addressing it on the bill however. But, I'd ridden several times afterwards with no problems before the events of yesterday.

I appreciate your help!

Afternoon racy

See if the problem returns. If it does stall again try turning the key completely off then back on before re-starting if it then stays running that strongly points to an idle stepper getting lost or malfunctioning.

About all you can do for now is use a GS-911 (or dealer computer) to see if there are any stored failure codes (unfortunately most idle stepper issues do not store a failure code).

DR,

At the moment, the bike is at my dealer's shop. When you say the idle stepper is "lost", you mean it needs to be re-programmed or synch'd, I'm guessing..

DR,

At the moment, the bike is at my dealer's shop. When you say the idle stepper is "lost", you mean it needs to be re-programmed or synch'd, I'm guessing..

Afternoon Racy

The BMW idle stepper (BMW calls it a IDLE CONTROL DEVICE) re-sync's & re-homes itself every time the key is turned on (reason I mentioned above to turn key off then back on after stall).

When they get lost it usually means the stepper screw to pintle threads are slightly stripping as they operate during riding. The fueling computer gets no DIRECT feedback from either stepper (only knows where they are now from where they were last plus or minus the count change command it sends) so the counts (steps) the computer THINKS they are at is not where they REALLY are. They usually strip in the more closed direction so when you release the throttle there isn't enough air flow to keep the engine running & you get a quick stall.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi DR,

I talked with my dealer today. They've removed & cleaned the ICDs and throttles, did a fuel pressure test, & cleaned fuel system. They thought they had it fixed, until a subsequent test ride the following day resulted in loss of idle.

Does the issue you described (stepper screw to pintle threads stripped) cause intermittent problems? Or, once stripped, just fail?

Racy

Edited by racy
Hi DR,

I talked with my dealer today. They've removed & cleaned the ICDs and throttles, did a fuel pressure test, & cleaned fuel system. They thought they had it fixed, until a subsequent test ride the following day resulted in loss of idle.

Does the issue you described (stepper screw to pintle threads stripped) cause intermittent problems? Or, once stripped, just fail?

Racy

Morning Racy

Both can happen.

They seldom if ever repair (heal) themselves. Sometimes cleaning & greasing can cover the problem up for a while as the parts work easier but STRIPPED is STRIPPED so the root of the problem is still there lurking in the background.

What I usually see if XXX is done, bike is ridden for a few miles then the bike is declared FIXED. And in fact it will act that way as stepper (idle control) problems usually doesn't show up again until the bike is ridden at steady throttle for number of miles as that riding action allows the stepper to lose counts again.