IGNORED

Left Side Cam Chain Clack Clack Clack at Startup

Rogerl

Since I have replaced the valve on the left side I am getting the clack clack clack on the left side at startup. It might have been doing it before but now I am hearing EVERY noise the bike is making. It seems to be worse the longer the bike sits. Does the tensioner need to be replaced? When I had the bike apart the tensioner looked fine. After the initial clack clack clack it is fine.

Thanks

Roger L

Just doing a visual inspection of the tensioner may not be a reliable way to determine its ability to work properly. It needs to build up hydraulic pressure and not leak down too fast. I would replace it.

Since I have replaced the valve on the left side I am getting the clack clack clack on the left side at startup. It might have been doing it before but now I am hearing EVERY noise the bike is making. It seems to be worse the longer the bike sits. Does the tensioner need to be replaced? When I had the bike apart the tensioner looked fine. After the initial clack clack clack it is fine.

Thanks

Roger L

Morning Roger

Did you take the tensioner apart? If so did you get all the parts back in in the correct order? Pin in spring then pin head first into piston.

The camhead L/H tensioners don't seem to have a lot of issues but if it keeps clacking at start up then replacing it might be a solid starting point.

Spring is supposed to keep enough tension on the internal piston to keep it somewhat tight until oil pressure takes over & fully tensions piston.

I never took the spring out of the piston but you need to take the piston and spring out of the housing to get the unit into the engine if the engine is in the bike. When I installed the tensioner I put the piston and spring inside the engine then pulled the spring sideways to get the housing over the spring and started into the engine. I then needed to press down to compress the spring to get the housing threaded into the engine. I think it is all assembled correctly. Last night when I started the bike it clacked when it started. The bike had been sitting since 5:00 Friday night. This morning when I started the bike it did not clack. From looking at the design of the part I do not think that it would hold hydraulic pressure after the engine was turned off. There is a hole at the end of the piston.

Roger L

I never took the spring out of the piston but you need to take the piston and spring out of the housing to get the unit into the engine if the engine is in the bike. When I installed the tensioner I put the piston and spring inside the engine then pulled the spring sideways to get the housing over the spring and started into the engine. I then needed to press down to compress the spring to get the housing threaded into the engine. I think it is all assembled correctly. Last night when I started the bike it clacked when it started. The bike had been sitting since 5:00 Friday night. This morning when I started the bike it did not clack. From looking at the design of the part I do not think that it would hold hydraulic pressure after the engine was turned off. There is a hole at the end of the piston.

Roger L

Morning Roger

It won't hold hydraulic pressure after shutdown but should at least hold oil in the piston/ body. (I think the round pin head inside the spring seals that piston hole to retain oil).

A lot depends on where the cams stop after shutdown. If the engine stops with valve spring pressure pushing in the direction to slacken the chain in the tensioner area then the tensioner should remain full of oil & ready to work. On the other hand if the engine stops with the valve springs putting tension on the chain in the tensioner area then it can bleed some oil out of the tensioner on a longish shut down.

Engine oil viscosity & cranking time before startup can also effect startup clacking duration & intensity.