IGNORED

under the seat storage - 2013 RT

codan

I'm putting together a tool kit to have all the basic tools for on the road issues - torx, allens, wrenches, the spark plug puller, front axle tool and general purpose tools like pliers, etc. I've got about 2/3 (measured by bulk) of the kit in hand and spent some time playing with it today. The truth however is that I'll always have my credit card as my main tool.

There's actually quite a bit of storage under the seat. Note that I have my seat at the highest position but I've checked on the lowest position too. And also this is very preliminary. YMMV.

1) above the battery, under the rider's seat, there's basically a large flat spot that's at least 1/2" deep (including space up to the seat). The only question that I can see is making sure nothing can possibly fall through to get tangled up in the running gear. I might mold a tray to go there.

2) under the passenger seat there's room to the left and right side, off the hump of the fender, against the frame. I stuffed 2 7.75" x 4.5" stuff bags with various tools and put them on them in place then fitted the passenger seat. Again, the issue is to make sure nothing can fall through, even with wear on the bags. And no pressure on the wiring.

3) under the tail cone - found lots of room, I'm sure that's where my compressor will go and some larger tools.

It looks to me like I'll be able to fit a good amount of tools under the seat, so they'll always be with me.

Take a look.

For $70 bucks, buy 6 of these. Keep one and give the rest to five of your friends. I actually bought this one and can testify that it's of very high quality. Frankly, I'm amazed they sell it for that for even at twice that price it's a steal.

Of course, full of tools it won't go under the seat, which is kind of the point of this thread, but I thought I'd post a link to show that there's no need to buy essentially the same product at such a hugely inflated price.

PS - I know Aerostich is a very high quality brand, not knocking them at all.

Edited by Pappy35