IGNORED

Ideas for additional RT-LC storage space - flat repair kit etc

MightNotBeThere

MightNotBeThere

Does anyone have any ideas for storage spaces, or means & methods, to store items so that they don't eat into pannier or top case space?

I only want to use the topcase when touring, and don't always want the panniers either, but I always want to take my first aid kit, flat repair kit and mini pump with me.

The GSA was easy - there's an aftermarket toolbox which lives permanently & unobtrusively behind the pannier rack. The RT is a little less accommodating...

A tank bag is an option. A soft bag on the rack is a solution; a small Storm or Pelican case would be another, but a little fugly. Any of those mean that whenever swapping bags around, the flat repair kit has to be moved - I'd like to leave it along with a couple of tools on the bike somehow, somewhere and forget it until needed.

Alex

My air pump and pressure gauge are in my tank bag. I could also fit the tire repair tools. But I separated them into 2 plastic bags, with the plugs under the front seat and the rest in the space between the frame and the left outside body work.

could also use a soft bag strapped to rear seat.

I have been contemplating some kind of 'under pannier' storage that would secure to the cut out on the underside of the left-hand pannier. It would need to be reasonably short because of the Final Drive. However, I feel it would yield some reasonable space. It is just how to go about it in such a way as to look fairly unobtrusive.

If you don't have audio on your bike, then there is valuable space behind the speaker grilles. I have my compressor, stored in a ziplock waterproof bag, bungeed to a support spar behind the LHS grille and a waterproof box of spare bulbs behind the RHS grille.

Stop and Go puncture kit and a pencil-case sized bag of tools are in the seat tail.

I only use the tankbag and topbox when touring. I usually have the panniers mounted, but one is empty, for helmet storage when off the bike. The other pannier has a small softbag containing extra clothes, spare gloves, etc.

Edited by bmwobbler
Bill_Walker

If you haven't put other stuff there (I have electronics), there's some space in the tail area under/behind the pillion seat. But that area is a lot more trouble to get to than it was in an oilhead RT.

I held off a bit and then decided to buy the BMW Tailbag 3 small. Rode through a full day of downpour and all bone dry. Super easy mount/unmount. Will only use the top box when touring two up... Very happy with it. Also added a small lockable

box that mounts behind the license plate. Enough room for registration and flat repair kit...

LittleBriar
I held off a bit and then decided to buy the BMW Tailbag 3 small. Rode through a full day of downpour and all bone dry. Super easy mount/unmount. Will only use the top box when touring two up... Very happy with it. Also added a small lockable

box that mounts behind the license plate. Enough room for registration and flat repair kit...

+1 on the small tailbag.

Do you have a link to that lockable box? Sounds interesting.

Edit: Found it here.

Edited by LittleBriar

Probably my only gripe about the LC is the lack of storage. All that stuff I put in the tail section and the fairing pocket on the 1100, goes in the saddlebag on the 1200. The fairing compartments on the LC are next to useless. Oh well. It's not a big deal because I travel light.

Mike the Ghoul
I have one mounted on my rear fender. Its pretty unobtrusive. I keep tire plug kit, cable lock, charging cords, and a few other small items in there. no moisture problems.Mike

Picture of mounted item please :)

Alex, I'm guessing you have the big top case. I rarely use panniers for all local use and hang them on for traveling only, so I ride w/o them, but I do have the lovely lightweight and aerodynamic 28L top case, and it stays on the bike all the time as its so unobtrusive there is no need to remove it. There is ample room for light grocery pickup, and of course tools etc live in it. Alternatively, this appears to be a really nice dry bag you can order in different sizes that could work for you and unlike a tank bag it sits behind you, which would be my preference over having something sitting on tank in front of me:

Screen_Shot_2018-04-19_at_7.54.16_AM.jpg

Mike: if you use the “Full Editor” you need to delete the “https://“ at the beginning. This is added for you, presumably as a convenience, but I always have to delete it since my photo link already contains it.

Also, in posting photos, the preview window is your friend.

tumblr_p7g84fqh7B1vdnk4do4_500.jpg

Mike the Ghoul

tumblr_p7g84fqh7B1vdnk4do5_500.jpg

More straight on view

tumblr_p7g84fqh7B1vdnk4do3_400.jpg

I made a straight bracket from aluminum bar, painted it black and attached it to the existing holes in the fender.

mike

• 2 weeks later...
old_farmer

My simple solution was a Wolfman Peak tail bag. It fits well, is easy to mount, and holds my tire repair stuff plus a 20 oz Hydroflask. Now I can leave the bags off if I don't need to do serious carrying.

Has anyone got a link to an article about removing the speakers and to the speaker grill, fitting hinges and a keylock? I have seen it somewhere, but can't find it. I thought the combined wisdom/knowledge/memory of this group might yield a result.

• 1 month later...

Well, last month I did a tour of Europe and in desperation for more storage space of the essential stuff (tools, first aid kit, compulsory Hi viz Jacket, compressor, puncture repair kit and compulsory spare bulbs and Breathalyzer) the loud speakers were removed.I am amazed and pleased to tell you that all my stuff listed here fitted in!

In addition I managed to get a small good quality pair of binoculars in the lefthand 'glove' compartment and a disc lock and compact stick drive in the right hand 'glovebox'. Under the seat in the bulgy parts at the sides I got in a slim bottle of mosquito repellent, some talc, and a small bottle of screen wash. Under the seat itself there is room for stuff up to about 7" x 4" x 1".