IGNORED

BMSX Lambda-Shifting (AF-XIED)

roger 04 rt

Is there a link for some clear instructions on the install for the AF-XIED on a 2017 GSW? The website PDF "instructions" are pretty vague at best.

Nightrider is a Harley shop who I persuaded to do a design for BMW. When he agreed he indicated it would need to be a “community support” product. When you're ready, there is support here on in the Vendor thread on Advrider.com.

It is pretty straightforward.

• 4 months later...
roger 04 rt
I’ve been thinking about how to lambda-shift the R1250. The R1250 design appears to have an O2 sensor per cylinder, for Closed Loop Control, ahead of the catalytic converter AND one monitoring O2 sensor after the cat.

On the newest R1200s, an implausible signal, lack of or failure of an O2 sensor inhibits Closed Loop Control, limp mode of some sort is enabled, and an error is logged internally. Nightrider developed the RAM assist to make it appear that a normal O2 sensor exists at Key On when “implausibility” is tested.

On the R1250, the post-cat O2 sensor allows the ECU to verify that the cat has done its job. The ECU can measure during Closed Loop, during open loop acceleration and during deceleration. It would expect to see certain signal levels for each riding condition. I would also expect that the ECU performs an “implausibility” test, just as it does on the pre-cat O2s.

Although it seems likely to me that the current RAM assisted AF-XIED will work for the O2 sensors ahead of the catalytic converter (meaning lambda-shifting will function), some testing is needed to determine whether the AF-XIED will do its job or be thwarted by the post-cat O2, and any limitations that the post cat sensor creates.

Nightrider doesn’t have the resources or BMW expertise to do the testing but if there was someone who wants to try, and if they have a GS-911 that works on the R1250, I’m sure that Nightrider would support the testing.

Anyone interested can post here and then we can contact Nightrider.

• 3 years later...

I would just like to mention I've recently added the AF-XIED to my 2018 RT and it has greatly enhanced the overall performance. It has complete eliminated the intermittent surging I was experiencing, It also seems to just "pull" stronger without any flat spots. I'm currently on setting "7" and don't see any reason to change. I know this is an expensive accessory but this addition has enhanced the performance enough I couldn't be happier.