IGNORED

BMWRT.COM BBQ at Bonita - Tall tales and PIctures

russell_bynum

Good job. I'm impressed by the photos taken by Lisa while riding. I wouldn't think they would come out. I've gotta get Meghan a camera to try that. Very good write up that captures the moments. As Philly said, that last pic is priceless.

Russell, Thanks for sharing. Great writeup and pictures. Makes me want to hit the road tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing Dinkie as well as meeting sweet thing and the dogs. Better bring some milk bones. Dinkie, don't say that to loud, else they will be driving you crazy until I arrive.

Later

Way to go on the pics and write up, Russell! Very enjoyable for those of us that couldn't be there with you. smile.gif

Great pics and a really great write-up, Russell! That was the best two days of riding I've had in a long time, not just because the roads were a blast (I can ride them every day), but because of the terrific company. What a great group of people I stumbled into when I found this BBS. I think that means I owe Cary another BIG thank you! smile.gif

Denny, you and Kris are awesome hosts. To open up your home like you did was truly special. God bless you both. Oh, and happy belated B-day, Bro!!

The ride Friday was really fun. I only wish we had time for another 5 laps up and down Palomar! I will never forget the sight of reaching the top of that 7 miles of switchbacks and tight banked twisties, when I got off the bike and saw all those beaming smiles! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif Russell's "YEEEEHAAAA!!" is probably still echoing up there in the mountains. Brian and Laney had a look of awe on their faces, almost like they couldn't believe what they had just been through. Following Dick back down East Grade Road was just what I needed to get a feel for how a really talented rider handles the twisties. Thanks for the lesson, Dick!

At the bottom of East Grade Road, Russell headed back home. We waved good-bye to Russell and took off for the Toolshed, making an unscheduled run down one of my favorites, Mesa Grande Road. Mesa Grande started us off with some super tight 120 degree switchbacks, climbing steeply about 200ft, then winding through oak and sycamore groves that made natural canopies over the road. Once at the top, the road opened up into a series of lazy sweepers separated by 1/8 mile straits, gently swooping over rolling hills through farmland reminiscent of upstate New York. Man, I love that road.

The rest of the ride back to the Toolshed was relatively fast. We were quickly running out of daylight. The trip back down Otay Lakes Road was a burner, with Motolights and PIAAs blazing the way. I hit a couple of dips that bottomed the bike and showered the road with sparks (Sorry if I melted any of your tupperware, Dick.) laugh.gifwink.gif We arrived back in Bonita tired and ready to eat. Kris had sandwiches and other good stuff waiting. Unfortunately, I had to head back home, but I would be back...

I arrived again Saturday morning with my sweetheart, Magdalene, riding pillion. As I attempted to get off the bike, I noticed a sudden shooting pain go from my lower back down the back of my right leg (Ouuuch!!). I tried to get the bike on the centerstand, and could barely get enough weight on the lever and I almost lost the bike. (Uh-oh. This is NOT good.) Thanks to Laney who administered a very effective theraputic back massage, and to Kris for the great drugs smile.gif I made it on the ride that day. You two saved my day!

The Saturday ride was just as fun as Friday, albeit of a different character. Jim Moore lead a good ride, keeping the group of 9 bikes well paced and never getting us into more than we could handle. Well done, Jim. On the trip down Montezuma Grade, we followed a guy who was two-up on a brand spankin' new GS Adventure, and let me tell you, that dude was movin' that scooter. Montezuma Grade (a.k.a. The Glass Elevator for some of us locals) drops from 4,200 feet to the desert floor in a dozen miles of tight sweepers and the occasional switchback. It's a particularly sticky road; the pavement will eat your tires quickly, but it's great for aggressive riding once you know the road. On the way down, there are awesome views of the desert below.

Once at the bottom, we were greeted by winds that made birds fly backwards and RT's waver. We worked our way through Borrego Springs, and then out to Hwy 78. When we got to a rest stop at the intersection of 78 and S2, Jim looked up at the clouds that had socked in the mountains around Julian and decided that it would be NOT fun to head up that way. He suggested we take the low road through the desert, down S2 (the old Butterfield Stage Coach Route) and down to old Hwy 80 then 94, which would then take us home. A good decision, Jim. We still hit some rain, but had we gone the other way it would have been much, much worse.

BBQ dinner at D Tool's was simply amazing. Great company, terrific food (those sausages ROCKED!!) and a great slide show after dinner. Magdalene and I had so much fun. Thanks again to all involved for the best weekend I have had in quite a while. Now I'm REALLY primed for Gunnison!!

Once again, Denny, Kris, you folks are the best!

Russell, those are wonderful photos, and a great story. I'm particularly impressed by the photo of the GS headed down The Grade. I hope folks realize the odd perpsective achieved by your sweetie leaning out a little from the back seat, and that you were not out in that other lane at all, and that there was in fact another bike between you two and the GS. My, she's talented with that device.

I had so much fun riding with you all in that special way we know about. And, even more hanging out in that wonderful hospitality. Another time can't come soon enough.

russell_bynum

Thanks Dick. She really got some good shots, I think. I guess that film degree paid off afterall. smile.gif There were some more shots from her perspective on the back that would have been really great, but they were too blurred from the motion.

I too was confused about that one pic of the GS that came out. I though "Holy Sh*t...what a terrible line...I'm on the wrong side of the road"...then I looked again...nope...she's zoomed in AND hanging off to the inside. I think we have another hoon-in-training! smile.gif

AdventurePoser

Russell,

Great pics and a write up! Thanks for taking the time, especially for those of us who couldn't be there!

Steve in So Cal

Thanks for the story and pictures, Russell. I really, REALLY, wanted to be there, but it wasn't to be.

I lived in No. San Diego County for several years, and those roads were some of the first ones I ever traveled by motorcycle. Can you imagine doing them first time on a S90 Honda? Two-up, with my kid brother? It brought back some good memories.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the nice compliments on my pix. I was just concentrating on trying to get that perfect shot, not really concerned about a little thing like safety or anything! (what do you mean, hang on?) Just kidding.

Actually, Russell said at one point he scraped the left peg feeler, but I didn't notice as I was distracted working with the camera. Maybe that camera's a good thing after all!

--"hoon in training" Lisa

Archived