IGNORED

K1600

Ozzyal

I currently have a R1100RT , great bike in so many ways .. I love it . But I feel like I miss the performance of the CBR1000F .

I'm looking at maybe a 2nd hand K1200GT or K1600GT .

Being in Australia, there isn't a lot of these for sale , but seems to be a few 1600's around for reasonable $ with relatively few kms on them for no much more then a good K12 or 1300GT .

Do we know of any serious /expensive problems with the 1600 ?

I'd be looking at something with in the vicinity of 50 to 70K kms on the odo .

Owned a K1600GT for 4 years. Amazing motor and a very agile bike for it's size, but still a very large motorcycle more suited to eating up miles in cross country travel.

In 35K miles I had zero warranty issues - none.

I performed all the maintenance, including valve checks, other routine work and tire changes. The total cost for 35K miles was $3,400. It likes tires - eats them for breakfast.

The bike is the best pure touring motorcycle out there but the cost to maintain the bike is expensive.

164918906.jpg

158452406.jpg

K12GT slant motor was a really fun bike to own. Much more sporty than the K16GT, but was the least reliable BMW I've owned with over $5,000 of warranty work performed during my 5 years of ownership.

139499590.jpg

I bought a used 2013 K1600GT two years ago. 24000 miles without a single hiccup.

Like Limecreek, my bike eats tires. Some claim to get 7500 miles on a set but not me. 5000 miles is the most I've gotten from a set but I am a heavy drop (275 pounds or so) and I am not shy with the throttle.

I love the K1600, great complement to my GS.

Lots of info over on the K1600 forum LINK

• 1 month later...

Agree with everything said above. I have had a K1600 since Dec. 2012 and it is a very capable motorcycle with a spectacular engine. Good gas mileage and similar maintenance costs to an RT or GS, but I also only get about 5,000 miles per set of tires. Nimble at speed for a 735 pound machine, but difficult to move around the garage. Hope you find what you are looking for.

K1600GT, I should have made the connection earlier to the Pontiac GTO as GTO stood for Gas, Tires & Oil. The modern BMW engine has at least banished the oil consumption! ;)

I enjoyed both of my RTs. I had an '04, which is the sexiest looking BMW ever produced and I had an '07. Now I have a '12 K1600GTL. I don't notice that the maintenance costs are that much more than an RT. I'm also doing fine on tires. I've gotten 8K plus on two sets of PR4GTs.

Oh, and I would add that the guys at my BMW shop are of the view that the engine is just getting broken in and smoothing out at 30,000 miles. Not there yet, so looking forward to an even better ride. And as to dba's post above, agree that the 1150 RT of that era was the best looking. :thumbsup: I still miss my 2002.

• 11 months later...
On 1/21/2018 at 5:42 PM, MikeB60 said:

I bought a used 2013 K1600GT two years ago. 24000 miles without a single hiccup.

Like Limecreek, my bike eats tires. Some claim to get 7500 miles on a set but not me. 5000 miles is the most I've gotten from a set but I am a heavy drop (275 pounds or so) and I am not shy with the throttle.

I love the K1600, great complement to my GS.

Lots of info over on the K1600 forum LINK

My RTs ate tires to. I’ve owned Two 1600s and I get very close to the same miles out of tires as the RTs. It all has to do with your right hand.😁

• 2 weeks later...

I would love a 1600 but my '06 GT is still going strong. Yeah it is 13 years old but only has 78k miles on it. I've had all the bad things fixed or taken care of and now it runs fast and fun. It will be a gamble no matter which way you go so I'd go with the better design from the start....the 1600. Don't get me wrong the 1200 is great and the 1300 had the fixes but i'd lean toward the 1600 for a new or used version of a BMW 

I've since bought a 2010 camhead 1200 .

A great bike , but I'm still craving a little bit more power  . 

But the basic camhead does seem to be trouble free and reasonably simple for me to maintain without the need to throw $$$ at a dealer 200kms away