IGNORED

PNW - Where would you go?

Looking for recommendations on "must ride" roads in the PNW (Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana) If I go I would plan on spending three weeks there. Another few days out and back makes it a month trip. Will be taking a tent and camping most of the time. Also recommendations about best time of year to go. Open to all suggestions. Thanks.

Well, for WA I'd normally suggest the San Juans for moto camping, but I believe you've already done that with an even more appropriate vehicle.

The driveway to our current home is a pretty nice, though short, road, so you should check that out for sure - severs camping spots in the yard if you insist on being outside. ;)

Apart from that - let's see:

WA -

Roads in the park around Rainier, and the back way from the gorge to/around St. Helens, Highway 2 across the top of the state, which also leads to the best part of Idaho, 101 is the classic loop around the Olympic Pennisula (which is the prettiest part of the state), and there are

Probably some nice things in the east too. Oh, and WA has the better side of the riding the Columbia Gorge.

OR -

101 along the coast has some good bits but it's more scenic ocean road than a great moto road, though if you turn east at Beaver you get to ride my favorite bit of road in Oregon: Nestucca River Road. The Aufderhide Parkway is amazing up the Cascades with Oakridge/Westfir at the southern end - though I understand it was partially closed by a recent rockslide and may not be open for awhile.

...going to have to finish this later - time to get the boy ready for school...

Ok - where were we? Oregon- right:

In the southwest you've got the Rogue Valley with some good roads parallel to I5 between the interstate and Crater Lake, and the bike moving east you can ride theoufh John Day, the Painted Desert and the Blue Mountains on your way to Joseph, the Wallowa Mointains and Hells Canyon.

From there you've got a great road up the Idaho side of the border and lots of pretty roads and trees around St. Maries Idaho.

I'll come back and fix my terrible spelling and add some real highway numbers and such. My phone is not cooperating this morning!

Edited by szurszewski

Oregon links:

Blue Mountain Scenic Byway (central)

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/474/Oregon/Blue-Mountain-Scenic-Byway.html#sthash.TZx47vOS.dpbs

Aufderheide Parkway (likely still closed at least partially this summer): (western)

http://visitmckenzieriver.com/oregon/item/aufderheide-scenic-highway-highway-19/

Screenshot-2015-06-15-20.11.00.png

John Day (central)

http://roadsnw.com/rnw/146

McKenzie Pass - forgot to mention this one, but it links to Aufderheide (western)

http://www.oregon.com/attractions/mckenzie-pass-santiam-pass-scenic-byway

McKenzie%20Pass%20Hwy.png

Wallowa Mountain - north east corner of OR - links to Hells Canyon in ID

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/roads/or_wml.html

...and I totally forgot to mention, Historic Highway 30 just out of Portland along the Columbia Gorge - it's where they keep that falls (Multnomah) that is on all the Oregon postcards, and my understanding is that it was the first planned scenic highway in the US - that is to say, it was the built just to be pretty.

columbia-gorge-scenic.jpg

Nestucca (western/coastal) - great meat producer at the east end of the road in Carlton -

IMG_4753.jpg

...there is a short section of gravel in the middle, and you've got to watch out for the pedal bikes, but I know it can be ridden handily on an RT and a Honda VTX, so your R should have no trouble!

Thanks, they all look great.

Well yeah - you didn't ask for our crappy roads! (We've got lots of those too - I assure you!)

I'll try to get some links for WA and Idaho this afternoon/evening :)

Danny caddyshack Noonan

MT

Hwy 37 along Lake Koocanusa. 70mph limit, sweeper madness along a very looong lake. The problem is, you might have to turn around at the northern end and do it in reverse. A good problem.

Nearby is Hwy 200 from Noxon down toward Missoula. Pretty area, pretty lakes and river, nice calm ride.

Hwy 93 from Missoula into Idaho. The part south of Darby and north of Salmon is pretty special. Open and fast in MT, tight and slower in ID on the downhill side. Pretty open country if you turn East at the summit to go off toward the Big Hole Natl Battlfield site and off into high country open range MT. Lunch a little past Big Hole in Wisdom. Problem is, that route takes you out to I15.

You can throw Hwy 12 Lolo Pass into this. But, be prepared for a long ride. It is not short.

Agree with all above.

I spent 35 plus years in Oregon(born there)and the PNW and will be retiring to the Olympic peninsula in a few years.

Oregon and Washington are still part of my yearly riding routes and most of my riding crew still resides in Eugene.

JR356

So many great places but I'll add a few...in Port Angeles you should run up

Hurricane Ridge if it's halfway clear; then over to Lake Crescent to kick around the lodge. Then over to Salt Creek Recreation Area which has great views and tide pools, also good for tent camping. I'd recommend taking the ferry out of Port Townsend then north on Whidbey Island to Deception Pass. Then east on the North Cascades Hwy. lots of options from there but as was stated Hwy 2 across upper Idaho is great. You will have great weather July-September and nice during the shoulder months. And avoid Portland/Seattle areas anywhere near peak traffic times.

Thanks Jim,

Well things are shaping up for this adventure. Will spend a little over a week in Colorado riding with my riding buddy. Leaving the bike at my son's in Highlands Ranch. Heading back home with my buddy and his bike on the trailer. Then fly out to Denver, pickup the bike and gear and head to the UN. When the UN is over, head West spending about 3 weeks trying to see as much as I can during that time. I know it's not long enough and I will have to pick and choose, but that is always the case for me. Then ride back home to S. Illinois. So a total of around 5 weeks counting the UN.

Last big trip was to Nova Scotia in 15. Thought I wouldn't do another but it looks like I was wrong. :thumbsup:

Here is one place I want to be sure to return to for more good eats. Hama Hama Oyster Bar

Bud:

If you are starting from South Dakota then I would head west to include Devil's Tower, WY and then on US212 to Crow Agency and the Little Bighorn Battlefield NM. From there either north to Billings (if you use Old US 87 you will see HUNDREDS of pronghorn) and then southeast to use US 212 through Red Lodge and on to the Beartooth. If you go south from Crow Agency through Ranchester, WY use US 14 and Alt 14 to Lovell and then the little side trip to Devils Canyon Overlook before either going on to Cody and the Chief Joseph or Red Lodge and the Beartooth.

Where to the next day?

Mike Cassidy

Dennis Andress

We are in Port Orchard, Wa, geographically 17 miles west of Seattle, by ferry. By road, it's more like 60 miles. Because of Puget Sound and the Cascades all but a handful of major roads in Washington travel north/south. Getting around Seattle, Tacoma, and Olympia is not easy. We live on the Olympic Peninsula where roads have trees instead of sight lines. Any vistas or scenic views are 30 miles up a dirt road in a State or National Forest - which have fees to enter. Bottom line, expect average speeds around 45 mph with little to see until you get to your destination.

That said, U.S. 101 makes a nice loop around the Olympic Peninsula, the northern part of which: Port Townsend, Sequim, Port Angeles and on west to the coast is worthwhile. The 350 mile loop is slow with lots of cool places to stop and visit. Try to catch sunset at one of the Pacific coast parks. Give it two or three days. With a little bit of planning Laney and I would like to travel along, but we are hampered in finding critter care.

Better motorcycle roads can be found in and around the Cascades. Mt Rainier Natl Park, Gifford Pinchot Natl Forest are next on my list of places to explore. The Wenatchee Valley, U.S. 2 and WA 20 are on the list. The Palouse (Moscow, Id), Walla Walla, and the roads along the Columbia River would be an incredible ride for you.

Weather is a crap shoot. Generally the rains stop after July 4th and start again in late September. The Olympic Peninsula is pretty busy in July and August. If you have rain gear, October can be the best riding. Spring: April and May, are my favorite as there is less foliage, so you can see more, and rivers are flowing at their highest.

Edited by Dennis Andress
Steve Carr's house, Jan & Sharon's house, Dennis & Laney's house...

Looks like I need to hire you to make my lodging accommodations.

:wave::grin:

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Bud

Not a motorcycle road/route etc., but if you take a gamble on seeing a submarine, a quick jaunt on the roads (104 has a bridge over) around Hood canal might let you see your tax dollars at work.

Recently visited at the Hospital in Port Angeles and they mentioned that the subs can sometimes be seen transiting the Straight of Juan de Fuca just outside the hospital,presumably to or from their Pacific patrols.

Interesting little side benefit,if I decide to work there in future.

JR356

Another Oregon road that I always enjoy is the run up along the Umpqua River Hwy 138 from Roseburg to Diamond Lake. From there it is a short run to Crater Lake and you can then go down along the upper Rogue River, Hwy 62 (Crater Lake Hwy).

Bud:

I know we have PM'd about this, but it may be of some use to other individuals.

There used to be a sticky in the FAQ section that I can't find any more, but I frequently use the America's Byways, Butler Maps or Motorcycle Roads Northwest resources to decide what I want to include. Then I ask for advice about suggestions to get from one "must ride" road to another.

But I have the advantage of living close by and I can go in September after the traffic has fallen off.

Mike

Dennis Andress

Hey Bud, I came across this on ADV this morning:

I live in Sequim ( olympic peninsula ).

For the next two years they will be doing road work around lake crescent which means all traffic has to use Hwy 112 to access the coast or wait in line for who knows how long only to follow a long line of cars and motorhomes around the lake.

That makes the loop around the Olympic Peninsula longer and slower.

Edited by Dennis Andress

For the next two years they will be doing road work around lake crescent which means all traffic has to use Hwy 112 to access the coast or wait in line for who knows how long only to follow a long line of cars and motorhomes around the lake.

:facepalm:

Bud:

There used to be a sticky in the FAQ section that I can't find any more, but I frequently use the America's Byways, Butler Maps or Motorcycle Roads Northwest resources to decide what I want to include. Then I ask for advice about suggestions to get from one "must ride" road to another.

But I have the advantage of living close by and I can go in September after the traffic has fallen off.

Mike

Mike,

Does the traffic fall of right after Labor Day, or later than that?

:facepalm:

Slower. With lots of wildlife, a less-then-ideal road surface and some unmarked curves. Keeps you on your toes and the brakes close to hand/foot ;)

But it has rewards:

WA_112.jpg

If you go on to Cape Flattery you can take the short hike to the view of Tatoosh Island and the most north-west point in the contiguous US.

Tatoosh_Island.jpg

Mike Cassidy

Bud:

Mike

Mike,

Does the traffic fall of right after Labor Day, or later than that?

Bud:

The traffic starts to fall off the third week of August since some kids are back to school at that point. Labour Day weekend is very busy, so account for that in planning/reservations.

I did the following 10 day/4,800 mi trip from the Thursday before Labour Day to the following weekend. The only really significant traffic slowdowns were on the Friday night and Monday of the long weekend. And of course in California during afternoon commuting hours.

2015Sept_Track.jpg

Mike Cassidy

Have to say that I've become a little bit overwhelmed with all the choices and the available time. Excellent suggestions from everyone.

Looks like I will need to cut back on some of my expectations to make this manageable and not turn into a stressful trip by trying to do too much. The quandary is going from the UN to Washington/Oregon, there are so many good roads and sights to see along that way that I could burn up three weeks just getting there. It's hard to go by so many good motorcycle roads w/o stopping along the way to ride them all.

I will slab it back home with a stop in Denver at my son's house.

It's good to have this kind of problem :grin:

Have to say that I've become a little bit overwhelmed with all the choices and the available time. Excellent suggestions from everyone.

Looks like I will need to cut back on some of my expectations to make this manageable and not turn into a stressful trip by trying to do too much. The quandary is going from the UN to Washington/Oregon, there are so many good roads and sights to see along that way that I could burn up three weeks just getting there. It's hard to go by so many good motorcycle roads w/o stopping along the way to ride them all.

I will slab it back home with a stop in Denver at my son's house.

It's good to have this kind of problem :grin:

Good news! After you get to the PNW, you also get to go home!

Two chances for great routes.

Bud, given all the good suggestions you might propose a route and let others who've done them cherry pick for you. Agree you can ruin the whole deal by pushing too hard. Once you get past Kansas it is one big box of chocolates!

A few nice segments to consider if they fit into your eventual route. These are segments I have ridden dozens of times I enjoy them every time.

Hwy 212 from Red Lodge MT over the Bear Tooth pass then through Yellowstone NP. It's a bucket list segment.

Hwy 93 south from Missoula south to Lolo, then west on hwy 12 over the continental divide and down the Lochsa River to Grangeville, ID. or Lewiston, ID.

Hwy 93 from Missoula, MT south to Salmon, ID and Stanley, ID. Then Hwy 21 to Boise, ID.

WA Hwy 129 south out of Lewiston, ID to Enterprise, OR.

Hwy 395 from Pendleton, OR south to John Day, OR then OR Hwy 26 east to Prineville, OR.

Last time I was on Bear Tooth it was right after Sturgis and ran into some Harley folks in T shirts and just goggles. It was sleeting at the time! With that elevation and terrain you have to be prepared but the view is spectacular, approaching Alaska Top of the World type vistas.

Last time I was on Bear Tooth it was right after Sturgis and ran into some Harley folks in T shirts and just goggles. It was sleeting at the time! With that elevation and terrain you have to be prepared but the view is spectacular, approaching Alaska Top of the World type vistas.

Yep - we rode it in July on the way to the 2016 Un and it was clear and beautiful ... and really cold up top and a good amount of snow on the ground here and there.

If the weather had been anything but calm and sunny, I can see how it could make for a cold in comfortable ride!

Wild West Trip – 2018 1st draft.

Leaving the Un-Rally head to Devils Tower via 16/85/585/24.

From there go to Belle Forche and take 212 to Little Bighorn.

From Little Bighorn, head south on I90 to Sheridan. Take Alt 14 west to Cody. Then take 296/212 Chief Joseph/Beartooth up to Laurel, MT.

West on I 90 to Exit 340. North on 89 to St. Mary. West on Going to the Sun highway to West Glacier.

Then north on 93 to Golden, British Columbia. Continue on to Baniff National Park and continue north on the Icefield Parkway. At Jasper, BC take 16 west to Valemont then south on 5 to Kamloops. The west on 1 to the US boarder. Cross at Blaine, WA. South on I5 to Mt. Vernon then take 20 West to Anacortes. Ferry thru San Juan Islands. End up on Vancouver Island.

From Victoria take Ferry to Port Angeles. Circumnavigate the Olympic Peninsula. Stop at friends house on Bainbridge Island.

Wander south to Casa de Szurszewski somewhere near Portland.

Then south on 224/22/126/20 to Bend.

From Bend a loop: 372/58/97138/62/140/31 then 97 back to Bend.

North to Redmond. West on 126 to Prineville. 26 to Mitchell. 207 to 19. 19 to Dayville. 26/7 to

Baker City. North on I84 to La Grande then 82 to 86 to Idaho and Hell's Canyon

71 to 95 to 55 to 21 to 75 to 93. Salmon, ID North on 93 to Montana border. 43 to I 15 at Dewy. South on to Idaho Falls. North on 20 to Yellowstone/Grand Titon.

After all this typing, I'm getting sleepy!

Still have to get back to Nashille.

You know you could just take I-90 and bypass almost all of that, right?

Also, we're currently 120 miles north of Portland, in Olympia WA - not sure where we will be this summer, but you are welcome wherever we are then, AND where we are now if you come through this way.

As for Casa Szurszewski in Portland, well, we don't know the new owners but you're a friendly guy - you could probably talk your way in ;)

I guess I'm a little late to the conversation. You are more than welcome to stop in here a day or two in Brookings. Most likely we will be coming back from the UN ourselves. There is a day or two or three of good riding here, and tons of scenery.

You know you could just take I-90 and bypass almost all of that, right?

Also, we're currently 120 miles north of Portland, in Olympia WA - not sure where we will be this summer, but you are welcome wherever we are then, AND where we are now if you come through this way.

As for Casa Szurszewski in Portland, well, we don't know the new owners but you're a friendly guy - you could probably talk your way in ;)

What, pass by Portland and miss staying with the folks living in your house??? :wave:

I guess I'm a little late to the conversation. You are more than welcome to stop in here a day or two in Brookings. Most likely we will be coming back from the UN ourselves. There is a day or two or three of good riding here, and tons of scenery.

Thanks. Will chat while at the UN.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bud:

That's a pretty ambitious itinerary ;) You can avoid more of I-90 by taking MT78 Red Lodge to Columbus and then US191 Big Timber to Harlowtown, US12 to the US89 intersection and on to St Mary if you want to do the Going-to-the-Sun Road.

Word of warning - US89 from Browning to St Mary has some dangerous sections of gravel road repairs that are poorly marked and never finished. It is a longstanding conflict on road repairs within the Blackfoot Reservation.

I would try to include MT37 Libby to Eureka (it would add an hour), and instead of 95 Radium Hot Springs to Golden, use 93 Radium Hot Springs to Castle Junction (then on to Banff/Canmore or Lake Louise).

More later.

Mike Cassidy