IGNORED

Youtube videos worth watching

AnotherLee

Joe Frickin' Friday

Not sure how I missed this, but Stratolaunch just had its maiden flight a couple of days ago.  If you haven't seen this thing, it's an enormous custom-built aircraft (it uses SIX engines salvaged from two 747s, and has a wingspan of 117m, compared to an A-380's wingspan of just 80m) and will be used to launch rockets to orbit.  The twin-fuselage, high-wing design allows it to carry its payload up at the same elevation as the fuselages, which means it can accomodate BIG rockets.  Unfortunately the one big rocket that was specifically planned for this thing - the Pegasus II - has been shelved.  But the plane is still pretty cool.

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

Another great channel, Rare Earth.  The videos are narrated by Evan Hadfield, and produced by his father, Chris Hadfield (yes, THAT Chris Hadfield).  He travels all over the world and makes short, insightful videos about the cultures and histories he finds there.  I'm not doing his channel justice with that description.  Here's just one good example, a video in which he expounds on Japan's troubled relationship with nuclear energy (don't let the preview picture here fool you, it's pretty somber):

• 2 weeks later...
Joe Frickin' Friday

You are not as smart as a chimp.  Check out this primate's ability to not just read numbers, but to memorize with extreme rapidity, to remember sequences of numbers with gaps in them, and to remember despite distractions.   I cannot do what this chimp does.

Joe Frickin' Friday

If you haven't heard of the Mach Loop, it's a route through the mountains of Wales that military aircraft use for low-altitude flight training.  Surprisingly, the name has nothing to do with the speed of sound; it's named for Machynlleth, a town near part of the loop.  It's popular with plane spotters, who climb the the mountain ridges near the edges of the route to enjoy the slight of planes passing beneath them.  Here's a compilation of a wide variety of planes running the loop - Eagles, Ospreys, Hornets, and Tornadoes, to name a few.  Lots of good footage here, I think my favorite is at the 5:00 mark.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

If you haven't heard of the Mach Loop, it's a route through the mountains of Wales that military aircraft use for low-altitude flight training.  Surprisingly, the name has nothing to do with the speed of sound; it's named for Machynlleth, a town near part of the loop.  It's popular with plane spotters, who climb the the mountain ridges near the edges of the route to enjoy the slight of planes passing beneath them.  Here's a compilation of a wide variety of planes running the loop - Eagles, Ospreys, Hornets, and Tornadoes, to name a few.  Lots of good footage here, I think my favorite is at the 5:00 mark.

That is pretty cool.  I remember seeing something about this on a documentary show a while back.  I am glad you posted this,  as I am scheduled for a cruiser meet in Wales at the end of June.  I will inquire if anybody has some rides going nearby this place.  Thanks!

RandyShields

If you haven't heard of the Mach Loop, it's a route through the mountains of Wales that military aircraft use for low-altitude flight training. 

Very cool video.  Hearing how loud those jets can be from way further away, the audio just does not do justice to how ear-splitting that has to be when they fly by so closely.  Hard to believe that as beautiful and aerodynamic as the F-15s are, they are nearing 50 years of the start of their service life and may not be around much longer.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Nathaniel "Coyote" Peterson is either some kinda masochist, or he's just willing to tolerate severe pain in exchange for YouTube revenue.  On his "Brave Wilderness" channel, he posts videos in which he deliberately gets stung by some of the most painful insects in the world - insects with well-deserved names like "bullet ant," "executioner wasp," and "cow killer." 

Here we see him get stung by the Asian giant hornet, a terrifyingly large insect that kills about 35 people every year in Japan.  Video is cued to 10:24, sting happens at 11:30.  Watch the progression of swelling on his arm in the minutes after the sting (e.g. at 13:40).

realshelby

The new "cars" forum gave me this thought. This is perhaps the most wicked display of driving skill and incredible power you will see for a while. This is the big block Chevy with twin turbos in the bright red Mustang. The car gets loose and is almost out of control....but what follows is most impressive. 

Then, the second video speaks for itself.....

AnotherLee

I like to watch an artist at work. Probably because I have zero artistic ability.

• 2 weeks later...
AnotherLee

Welcome to Shelby, MT. These boys can do anything!

In this spring planting video, Nick drives a demo tractor and loves it.

RandyShields
On 4/15/2019 at 1:15 PM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Not sure how I missed this, but Stratolaunch just had its maiden flight a couple of days ago.  If you haven't seen this thing, it's an enormous custom-built aircraft (it uses SIX engines salvaged from two 747s, and has a wingspan of 117m, compared to an A-380's wingspan of just 80m) and will be used to launch rockets to orbit.  The twin-fuselage, high-wing design allows it to carry its payload up at the same elevation as the fuselages, which means it can accomodate BIG rockets.  Unfortunately the one big rocket that was specifically planned for this thing - the Pegasus II - has been shelved.  But the plane is still pretty cool.

Unfortunately, just saw some articles today that Stratolaunch is closing operations in the wake of Paul Allen's death.  It is unfortunate that this kind of innovation is dependent on the vision of a billionaire that the accountants can't relate to.  It must have been spending a lot of cash with no near term prospect of profitability.   

Joe Frickin' Friday
16 hours ago, RandyShields said:

Unfortunately, just saw some articles today that Stratolaunch is closing operations in the wake of Paul Allen's death.  It is unfortunate that this kind of innovation is dependent on the vision of a billionaire that the accountants can't relate to.  It must have been spending a lot of cash with no near term prospect of profitability.   

It was initially designed to carry Orbital Science's Pegasus II rocket, which was cancelled in 2015.  Stratolaunch tried developing their own rocket design, but gave up in January of this year, leaving no good payload options for the Stratolaunch aircraft.  From what I've read, the overall advantages of air-launched orbital rockets are very small and it's easy to lose sight of them due to other cost factors, which is what appeared to happen here.  

Now that I'm back from Japan, I'll offer an old favorite of mine.  Here's what happens when you wear a seal hat to the polar bear exhibit at the zoo:

• Like 1
AnotherLee

Here's a nice introduction to a successful guy that does an unusual job. He travels around the country fixing old buses belonging to private individuals. He has a lot of videos - see his youtube list  *Here* for more.

Joe Frickin' Friday

This video is a few years old, but it's got some amazing footage.  It documents a couple of crazy Russian guys who climb a partially finished skyscraper in China:

About five minutes long, the first minute or so covers sneaking into the construction site and the first part of the ascent.  The footage starts getting really interesting around the 1:20 mark, and it gets pants-wettingly scary after about 2:45.  Be sure to watch in full-screen mode for maximum vertigo.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't know you could do this...

Railbiking in Retirement, a once in a lifetime adventure.

Fiction meets reality ... sorta ....    With all the serious things going on in the world its nice to step back for a minute and just enjoy what can be done today with imagination, the right friends and of course money.  This is long about 10 minutes but the first 5 are alot of the meat of the video

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Joe Frickin' Friday

A mesmerising bit of dance with a giant ring.  If a spot opens up with Cirque du Soleil, this guy will be a shoo-in.  Mind the fingers, though:

And, for good measure, here's a performance in which a guy dances a duet with a robotic arm.  Trust me, it's more graceful than it sounds:

• Like 1
AnotherLee

Respected manual machinist (Adam Booth,  Pensacola, FL) fixes broken bolt in a motorcycle head.

Acorn to Arabella

Building a 38' wooden sailboat, starting with cutting the trees. 

Screen+Shot+2019-04-18+at+7.41.26+AM.jpg

A very long series, a sometimes a little slow, because they are releasing new videos as the work progresses, and the work takes a lot of time.  Three and a half years so far, and they are not quite ready to start installing the planks.   

I do like to watch other people work.

AnotherLee

From a current article: "The Fight for the Future of YouTube". *link*

“YouTube has the scale of the entire Internet,” Sundar Pichai, the C.E.O. of Google, which owns YouTube, told Axios last month. The site now attracts a monthly audience of two billion people and employs thousands of moderators. Every minute, its users upload five hundred hours of new video.

Edited by AnotherLee
You would think by now I'd know how to spell YouTube.

So my wife has set up a butterfly garden out back but she's having predator issues.  It seems that other bugs are eating the butterfly eggs and chrysalis'.  So, to semi-eliminate the threat, she finds the eggs and places them in a screen container.  The below video is in real time of the butterflies emerging from the chrysalis.  Pretty neat to see, 'specialy right on our porch.

38 minutes ago, Charles said:

Do you let the camera run day and night?

No, she checks the status every morning and just so happen to catch these opening.  When she finds the eggs, she puts them in this mesh cube to keep the wasps and other predators away.  Once the eggs hatch to worms, she puts fresh milkweed in daily to feed them.  They grow from tiny to fat in very short order......the whole process is about 30 days.

Joe Frickin' Friday

The Super Circle Plane takes flight for a twilight air party:

(video cued to 6:34, takeoff at 7:00)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Me, I love the Citroen DS.......having lived in Brussels as a boy (69 to 73) and remembering the first time I saw one........I thought it was fantastic...............

Here's a rather long but thoroughly enjoyable amble thru a french Citroen centenary gathering for those who can be bothered to watch....... some really interesting typically french cars here........

Steve

Joe Frickin' Friday

According to the US Antarctic Program, "condition 1" is the worst category of weather that can be encountered in Antarctica:

There are three classes of weather under which McMurdo Station operates. Condition 3 represents mild weather in Antarctic terms. Condition 2 is activated when the weather really starts to deteriorate. In that case, winds speeds are clocked at 48 to 55 knots (55 to 63 miles per hour), wind-chill temperatures have dropped to minus 75 to minus 100 degrees Fahrenheit, and/or visibility is less than one-quarter mile.

Condition 1 represents the worst weather conditions, and can involve wind speeds greater than about 55 knots (63 mph), wind chills colder than minus 100F or visibility of less than 100 feet. During the August storms, condition 1 mainly existed on the nearby ice shelf, where the station has its aircraft operations facilities.

Here is a very brief glimpse of condition 1 weather:

• Like 3
Bill_Walker
7 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Here is a very brief glimpse of condition 1 weather:

Wow!

• 3 weeks later...
Joe Frickin' Friday

A couple of lovely avalanches for you.

First, a slowvalanche:

In Switzerland, the mud arrives on time, in large quantities, and is made only of the finest dark chocolate:

• 2 weeks later...

This guy seems like the real deal to me.

He has been on both sides - member of outlaw motorcycle clubs and president of one - and - former cop and undercover officer who infiltrated them.

Maybe a good place to start is his first video: How to Join a Motorcycle Club. *link*

"Everybody's a tough guy until you actually meet one."

You might also like to check out his series on "Infiltration Skills".

His video playlist is here: *link*

If you don't already know about this dutch girl and her travels around the world on a Royal Enfield Himalayan, then you should!!

I've watched every episode of her adventure, and it's a great one.

Enjoy.

Here's something you guys might like.  Antique films explaining the fantastical world of automotive engineering.  The ones from the 1930's are a lot of fun.

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

Close calls don't come much closer than this (rated PG-13 for profanity).  From a Reddit discussion:

A 146 with a very talented pilot at the controls. Sadly, this is the risks of our profession. The pilot has admitted to being target fixated and made a bad lapse of judgment (often times only a millisecond in this business) and dip below the pre-briefed minimum crossing height of the ridge on the exit. I almost lost a great colleague on that drop; A husband, father, friend and firefighter. Respect is appreciated.

John Ranalletta
On 9/6/2019 at 10:33 AM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Close calls don't come much closer than this (rated PG-13 for profanity).  From a Reddit discussion:

Juan Brown also covered this and related it to TF on a motorcycle.

On 9/6/2019 at 10:33 AM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Joe Frickin' Friday

Can I get a ride?

Wait, no, that came out wrong.  Let me try again. 

Got a can of Raid?  :14:

44 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Can I get a ride?

Wait, no, that came out wrong.  Let me try again. 

Got a can of Raid?  :14:

I'm going on year four of not getting stung,.....yea!!!  But those video's give me the heebie-jeebies:eek::eek::eek:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Scott Manley has great video content but THIS is outstanding:thumbsup:

If viewing on a handheld device you can move  your device 360° or just move view vis fingers.  (Not sure how best to view on a lap/desk top.  

He says the background is shot in a California desert & I’m betting it’s Race Track Death Valley judging by the skid-mark that ends in a rock