IGNORED

2005 R1200RT lcd screen black area

Merch

Help! I'm very comfortable turning wrenches, but not at all up to speed on this bike's electronics.....

The bike has about 35k miles on it and has always been stored inside, but the lcd is turning black from the top down. About the top third is now black and generally unusable.

If I pick up one of the used dash assemblies, is it a simple swap or is there some programming that has to occur?

Is the vehicle mileage stored on the dash assemble it on a ‘master computer' on the bike?

Thanks

Help! I'm very comfortable turning wrenches, but not at all up to speed on this bike's electronics.....

The bike has about 35k miles on it and has always been stored inside, but the lcd is turning black from the top down. About the top third is now black and generally unusable.

If I pick up one of the used dash assemblies, is it a simple swap or is there some programming that has to occur?

Is the vehicle mileage stored on the dash assemble it on a ‘master computer' on the bike?

Thanks

Morning Merch

Well!, probably is the best answer I can give you.

On anything past 2005 the new IP (dash assembly) must be registered to the bike's other electronics by a dealer computer CIP (Coding, Individualization and Programming).

Probably also true on the 2005 even though my 2005 BMW service manual doesn't call that out.

I'm also not sure if the dealer can program in a used IP as it has already been registered to a different VIN (you will have to ask your dealer on this).

The bike's mileage is stored in a few areas, like the dash (IP) electronics & the BMS-K (fueling computer) computer & probably the ZFE (chassis computer).

• 2 weeks later...

I got away with this once on a 2005.

Changed the gauges, they had stored the previous mileage. but worked.

I think I needed to change the computer when I changed the key switch .

D.R. would know better if the gauges themselves or the computer will allow the switch without the hassle.

I have 2 good gauges, don't know if they will switch and work because they are later 07 and 09 years.

Mark