IGNORED

MV Risers on 2007 R1200ST

TestPilot

I'm looking to install a set of MV Motorrad bar risers on my 2007 R1200ST. Unfortunately their web site states that their kit only fits 2005 and 2006 models with iABS Generation 1 (servo-assisted ABS). My 2007 model has iABS Generation 2. I suspect the limitation is simply due to the fact that MV didn't test fit their risers on a 2007 model, since the plumbing from the handlebars is virtually identical with earlier bikes. Has anyone on this forum fitted these risers to a 2007 model? If so, were their any fitment issues?

• Like 1

I had the MV risers on my '05 ST and they were worth it. I can't imagine that they would not fit an '07, but I don't know that for sure. With the extremely limited production run of the ST I don't see where BMW would do a substantial enough update to preclude the fitting of those risers.

Frank

Frank,

I agree they should fit. I went through the parts fiche on Max's web site to check the differences. The front brake lines have the same part number for all production years of the ST. The master cylinders are different between Gen 1 and Gen 2 ABS, but the differences are very minor and shouldn't affect installation on my bike. I'm waiting for confirmation from Creative Cycle Concepts before I buy. I wish someone locally had an '05 or '06 ST so I could compare, but as you say, production was extremely limited. Only 28 '07 models were sold in the US.

Dennis,

I had installed the MV riser kit on my 06' ST as well, but still hardly effective in shortening the reach to the bars. The resultant position was a bit higher, but still a long reach for me. So what I'm saying is you might not be satisfied with the results of the MV kit anyway.

Over time I also wrestled with seat comfort with many seat mods. In the end I'm fairly sure now the reach to the bars had me always favoring the front of the seat causing most of the problem. Finally I installed a ABM Superbike Handlebar Kit ABM kit and I'm pleased with the results. The kit was a bit of an undertaking to accomplish though and not for one with limited mechanical abilities IMHO. I know Frank tried the other brand kit (AC Schnitzer I believe) and had some handling issues. Mine has done very well, handling better than stock with the added leverage at the bars a plus in my view.

DSC01159Sm.JPG

Edited by sardineone

George,

Thanks for the input. Reach is not my problem. I just want the bars a bit higher, which is why I'm looking at the MV kit.

Happy to help Karl. The ST is such a great bike once fitted to the owner. Remember the factory adjustable bars from the K1200GT?? They would have been great on the ST as well as on many bikes of the BMW line. K1200GT bars

Remember the factory adjustable bars from the K1200GT?? They would have been great on the ST as well as on many bikes of the BMW line. [/url]
Actually, the ST DID have adjustable handlebars. Problem was the bikes were delivered with the bars in the "high" position. There was a medium low and low position.

And yes, I did install an AC Schnitzer handlebar kit. The steering was "tight" like the bearings were in a bind. Kit off, steering returned to normal. I was never able to get a reply out of Schnitzer. Odd thing, when I drilled the last deer (third one for this bike) the steering went to the tight end of the spectrum, just like the Schnitzer kit did. Rode the bike to the dealer and left it with them (totaled).

Frank

Hi Frank, Same as the MV kit, the ST stock bar adjustments raised or lowered the bars without bringing the bars back significantly to the rider. Unfortunately in my case the last thing I needed was to lower the bars further! The stock bars were ok for my son that is 6' 3" with longer arms than I (I'm 5'10"). What I admire about the GT bars is they move back towards the rider as they rise higher...........SMART! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 10/27/2017 at 1:01 PM, TestPilot said:

I'm looking to install a set of MV Motorrad bar risers on my 2007 R1200ST. Unfortunately their web site states that their kit only fits 2005 and 2006 models with iABS Generation 1 (servo-assisted ABS). My 2007 model has iABS Generation 2. I suspect the limitation is simply due to the fact that MV didn't test fit their risers on a 2007 model, since the plumbing from the handlebars is virtually identical with earlier bikes. Has anyone on this forum fitted these risers to a 2007 model? If so, were their any fitment 

Hi there Test Pilot, I have only had my 2007 1200ST for just over 3 weeks and I have been doing loads of research and spending far too much money on bits and pieces to enhance my new bike (standard exhaust and saddles, Navigator mount etc). I have only managed to get out on it for three short rides so far (mud covered slippery roads where I live in the UK) and so have not given the standard bars a fair chance yet, but I had also considered the MV risers as a possible option if required.

However in my research I noticed that the front brake master cylinder casting on the 2007 ST is longer than the casting on the earlier bikes (no doubt due to the later generation abs) and it would appear that the later casting would not clear the instrument console if the bars were raised using the MV risers which is probably why MV give the warning that the risers are only for the earlier bikes !

I found a couple of comparitive pictures of the early and later master cylinders on line which should be attached.

Regards  Chris.

s-l500 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (23).jpg

Hi Old Fettler. I've seen similar myself. I also came across someone in another forum where it was suggested that there was a slight interference between the master cylinder and the instrument housing. It went on to suggest that removing some of the moulding gave enough clearance. Only thing is it wasn't clear where material had been removed from - the instrument housing or the master cylinder. 

If it were only the bottom edge of the master cylinder making contact then I suspect there is scope to grind away a small portion of it's casting without causing any detrimental issues. 

Anyway, I've found this listing which appears to offer a compatible kit.

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=15&M=35&Ct=OA&SbCt=BA_15_35_OA_54

I'd be interested to see what you think.

Hi muscles1960, the link to the Motorworks kit is just the MV kit, and I would not be happy grinding away either the master cylinder or the instrument console myself. If I do need to change the bars, and the Jury is still out as I reckon that the 1200ST has a very similar riding position to the K1200RS that I owned a few years ago, and rode it all over the UK and Europe in great comfort, it was just a very heavy lump to move around, but it was a superb bike. I only got rid of it as it had done over 36k miles and I did not want to get caught out with a failed self destruct servo/abs system (a pal had the same bike and his packed up at 40k miles !). Regards  Chris.

Hi Chris.

Did you notice in the Motorworks description and the 2nd photo that it clearly said compatible with ST 2004-2007.

Indeed the 2nd photo does show the revised master cylinder. 

Regards,

Dave.

Hi Dave, I hadn't spotted the second picture on Motorworks site, and you are correct it certainly shows a 2007 ST, it might be worth muscles1960 getting in touch with Motorwoks (they are a very helpful bunch) to find out why the MV risers that they sell will work with a 2007ST wheras MV's website explicitly states that it only works with the earlier bikes !  Regards  Chris.

Already done so this afternoon. Awaiting their response.

By the way just to avoid confusion, I'm Dave alias muscles1960.

Another thought I've had is I see that the instrument console seems to be mounted at 3 points on it's bracket. I just wonder if the console could be manipulated forwards towards the fairing utilising some sort of adaption of the mounting points thus giving the necessary clearance. This could obviously be reversible and not cause any damage to components. Just an idea 💡.

Any thoughts on this?

20 hours ago, Old Fettler said:

Whoops forgot to say if I do need to change the bars I may well go down the AC Schnitzer route.

As I stated in a previous post in this thread, I do NOT recommend the Schnitzer bar installation.  Put one on my '05 ST and there seemed to be an alignment problem that caused a binding in the steering.  Removed the bars and steering went back to normal.  There is whole saga involved with this story, several attempts.  The bar/triple clamp setup is now a piece of art hanging on my shop wall.  Never got a response from Schnitzer.  YMMV

Frank

• 6 months later...
muscles1960

Hi all. Just an update to advise that I went ahead with the MV risers on my 2007 ST. Everything fine. The brake master cylinder just touches the dash unit and the throttle cable needed rerouting to the rear of the fork leg. It hasn't caused any issues.

• 2 weeks later...
Old Fettler

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for the update. I still haven't done enough miles on my 2007 ST to decide whether I need the MV risers but at least I now know that it's "do-able" if I want to change the riding position !

Regards

Chris