IGNORED

Final drive oil filler plug/speed sensor assembly

Stonecritter

Stonecritter

recently did final drive oil change on my 2011 R1200RT at 62,000 miles. When I removed the small screw holding the wheelspeed sensor/oil filler plug in place, I noticed it had been put in with blue loctite. I thought that was unsual but kept going. In putting it all back together (more than once), I found that the screw did not quite reach the threaded portion in the final drive unit. It threads ok if done without the plug. The female threaded part inside the hole is set back from the edge, not flush.

I found a screw that was slightly longer but with a different head. That catches ok, I didn't push to get torque correct, but the head is too thick for the wheel to clear. I am tempted to grind the head down to get clearance. I have not found a similar screw with lower profile head.

Any suggestions? I'm wondering if whoever did the previous oil change put it back together with loctite only. That does not seem that it would hold. Is there pressure against the plug?

recently did final drive oil change on my 2011 R1200RT at 62,000 miles. When I removed the small screw holding the wheelspeed sensor/oil filler plug in place, I noticed it had been put in with blue loctite. I thought that was unsual but kept going. In putting it all back together (more than once), I found that the screw did not quite reach the threaded portion in the final drive unit. It threads ok if done without the plug. The female threaded part inside the hole is set back from the edge, not flush.

I found a screw that was slightly longer but with a different head. That catches ok, I didn't push to get torque correct, but the head is too thick for the wheel to clear. I am tempted to grind the head down to get clearance. I have not found a similar screw with lower profile head.

Any suggestions? I'm wondering if whoever did the previous oil change put it back together with loctite only. That does not seem that it would hold. Is there pressure against the plug?

Morning Stonecritter

First, why did you remove the wheel speed sensor when the final drive on your bike has a dedicated fill plug?

As far as pressure is concerned-- the drive has a vent but in cold weather it can get covered with thick gear oil & vent very slowly. So there could at times be as slight pressure in the final drive.

That blue LockTite could be factory as the stock screw comes with blue micro encapsulation on it (looks like blue LockTite).

Why not visit your local BMW dealer (or about any motorcycle shop) then see if they have a M-5mm x 15mm or M-5mm x 20mm screw with the correct head shape. (your stock screw should be a M-5 x 10mm)

Stonecritter

You answered more than one question there. I removed the wheel speed sensor blindly following a YouTube video on changing the oil, I can now see from parts microfiche that there is a drain plug that I never saw. So it appears I did refill the oil but in the wrong hole.

The slightly longer screw I found was from machine shop with extensive inventory but not the right head. My dealer 60 miles away and was not open at the time. That will be next. Not going anywhere soon.

Thank you very much.

Morning Stonecritter

I'm sure that you should be able to find some stainless steel (button head) 5mm x.8 x 15mm or 20mm long on E-Bay. Might even find one at a local (real) hardware store or auto parts store.

Just make sure it comes from North America as shipping from China is usually fairly long.

Stonecritter, If you have an ACE hardware store in your area you might find what you need there. I have found stainless button head metric bolts here for my R1100S.

I've had to replace my rear ABS sensor, as DR pointed out the factory screw has micro encapsulation on it, you will need to pick that off the OEM screw carefully and you should be able to reuse the screw, yes it is very short. Are you sure you're re-seating the ABS sensor completely? The sensor has an o-ring seal and a centering ring (washer) which can hang up slightly upon reassembly. Good luck.

Stonecritter

I'm afraid the situation is worse than originally described now that I realize that was the wrong filler hole. When I had the original short bolt back in I torqued it to 20 Nm. It never got there before it just felt like it was going to be too tight. It's possible at that point that the threads in the hole to the depth of the original screw were destroyed. The hole does not appear threaded. A longer bolt caught threads but was too long. I torqued that one also. Now I will try to determine the max length bolt that will fit in attempt to catch any remaining threads. I really screwed this up.

If that fails, going to 6mm with larger hole and bolt might work but is beyond me. One of my favorite phrases is what could possibly go wrong.

Heart attack last weekend (really) so riding season was probably over anyway although long trip to NC on the books for early September.

I'm afraid the situation is worse than originally described now that I realize that was the wrong filler hole. When I had the original short bolt back in I torqued it to 20 Nm. It never got there before it just felt like it was going to be too tight. It's possible at that point that the threads in the hole to the depth of the original screw were destroyed. The hole does not appear threaded. A longer bolt caught threads but was too long. I torqued that one also. Now I will try to determine the max length bolt that will fit in attempt to catch any remaining threads. I really screwed this up.

If that fails, going to 6mm with larger hole and bolt might work but is beyond me. One of my favorite phrases is what could possibly go wrong.

Heart attack last weekend (really) so riding season was probably over anyway although long trip to NC on the books for early September.

Morning Stonecritter

Wow!- 20nm, I think that speed sensor screw torque is only 4 nm.

Before drilling to 6mm I think I would just install a 5mm x.80 Helicoil. A proper fitting Helicoil would make a lasting & proper repair.

Stonecritter

Sounds like a plan. I have no experience with Helicoil but I will.

20 Nm would have been proper for the correct plug.

Sounds like a plan. I have no experience with Helicoil but I will.

20 Nm would have been proper for the correct plug.

Morning Stonecritter

Yes, 20nm for both the drain plug & fill plug.