IGNORED

To keep or part out, 96 R1100RS with possible gearbox issue

Bubbadozer

I just got this bike in a trade recently. It has 88k miles with the sudden twitch in 2-3 rd gears occasionally. It doesn't do it all the time and shifts up and down pretty smoothly.

From what I have been reading, it sounds like the gearbox. The bike has a manufacture date of 3/96. It has service records from new until 2006 where it had 66k mikes all at the original BMW dealership it was purchased at. The service advisor told me it had a very detailed and thorough service history up to that point, then no service history.

It runs good, but now I am wondering if it's worth it to put $1600 or whatever into s transmission rebuild or not. That's $1600that could be put into a newer bike, but I know this engine could keep going for a lot longer. I would really appreciate opinions, ideas, etc regarding my decision. I'm new to the R1100RSL.

Thanks

Edited by Bubbadozer

If I *really* wanted an RS and everything else about it was in good to great shape, I'd put the money in. If I wasn't particularly enamored of the bike, and had the space/time to part it, is part it.

For that $1600 and what you could likely make for the parts (though requiring a good bit of fiddle work like listing, talking to buyers, packing/shipping and such) you'd be looking at a lot of bikes (BMWs included) you could buy in good shape.

Of course that's not saying that next bike wouldn't need a tranny work...

I just got this bike in a trade recently. It has 88k miles with the sudden twitch in 2-3 rd gears occasionally. It doesn't do it all the time and shifts up and down pretty smoothly.

From what I have been reading, it sounds like the gearbox. The bike has a manufacture date of 3/96. It has service records from new until 2006 where it had 66k mikes all at the original BMW dealership it was purchased at. The service advisor told me it had a very detailed and thorough service history up to that point, then no service history.

It runs good, but now I am wondering if it's worth it to put $1600 or whatever into s transmission rebuild or not. That's $1600that could be put into a newer bike, but I know this engine could keep going for a lot longer. I would really appreciate opinions, ideas, etc regarding my decision. I'm new to the R1100RSL.

Thanks

Morning Bubbadozer

As Szurszewski mentioned, how much do you want THAT bike?

If it was just the $1600.00 (or more) for that one trans repair then it might be worth it but on an 88K early 1100RS bike there might be (probably are) other expenses lurking right around the corner. At 88k it probably should have a new (expensive) clutch installed once it is apart.

Does it have the original starter? If so that might be next.

How much play in the final drive bearings? That isn't a cheap repair.

If you do the work yourself & plan to keep that bike for a long time, then a trans replacement, or repair, might be a solid option.

If paying for all the work then that is definitely a difficult decision.

I can't tell you how many riders that I know, or have talked to, that go though similar decisions. A great number say that they plan on keeping the bike forever then ride a later BMW (or some other brand) then buy the new bike & take a big loss on the repaired one.

I guess my first suggestion is to visit a local BMW dealer & test ride a newer BMW. If the new BMW doesn't do much for you then possibly repairing yours is a viable option. ( A LOT has changed in motorcycles since the early 1100 BMW was produced).

I really like the way the bike rides, I think I will hold onto it and just (as cash flow allows) fix the stuff that needs fixing. I probably wouldn't get too much for it anyway.